Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #41
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,587 Times in 5,193 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Antonio Brown says the Steelers’ locker room was divided last year

Ward: Steelers locker room in ‘total disarray’

By Alan Robinson
Published: Friday, February 22, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS — Hines Ward didn't want to leave the Steelers as early as he did. He certainly didn't want to leave them like this.

To Ward, the Steelers are in “total disarray” in their locker room, something that wouldn't have occurred previously because their established leaders wouldn't have permitted it.

Ward suggested the recent departure of acknowledged team leaders — he didn't mention them, but they include Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith — has badly hurt the Steelers' internal chemistry.

“When you lose so much leadership in the locker room, that is where things present itself like that,” Ward told the NFL Network on Friday.

“Guys start finger-pointing, calling out other guys. That's not the Steeler way. We always had a rule: We are a band of brothers. We've always collectively kept everything in-house. But there was no finger-pointing and calling out each other. That's total disarray, a locker room in disarray.”

In recent days, there has been speculation about linebacker LaMarr Woodley's supposed weight problems, which even Steelers coaches expressed concern about months ago.

Wide receiver Antonio Brown also said there was a rift between players concerned about team goals and those more focused on individual goals.

Safety Ryan Clark mentioned a possible fracture in the locker room, to him an unusual occurrence for a team he said has been known for leaders such as Joey Porter and Alan Faneca.

General manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday there was no such rift despite the team's 8-8 record, saying he and coach Mike Tomlin closely monitor such things.

“Whether you win a Super Bowl or finish 8-8, there's not a 100 percent harmonious locker room,” Colbert said. “Quite honestly, I'm not concerned about our locker room.”

Ward also revealed he would have preferred to play one final season in Pittsburgh, saying he regretted not having a Ray Lewis-like farewell tour.

Ward began the 2011 season as a starter, lost his job midway through the season and by the end was a only a complementary receiver. The Steelers chose not to bring him back for 2012 and he joined NBC as a Sunday night game analyst.

On his Twitter account, Ward refers to himself as a “Steeler for life.”

“That's the whole thing about it,” he said.

“I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the opportunity to run around and congratulate the fans and really just thank them for so many great years. I always wanted that. … I always thought I could play football for another season, if I had been healthy.”

The Steelers felt Ward's skills had visibly eroded, as evidenced when he struggled late in the 2011 season. He made only 20 catches past midseason, nine in the final two games as they made certain he ended his career with 1,000 catches.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2LghZJJFF
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #42
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,262 Times in 4,117 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I've don't really take Ward's comments on the current situation in the locker room to seriously. He wasn't there this year and is like the rest of us a spectator. Granted he knows the players really well, but he wasn't there himself.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #43
BowCatShot
Banned

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
What do you want him to do right now? He was doing his best to try and keep a locker room together in which your top receiver was holding out for financial reasons. Then, all of the veteran leadership was released because they were underachieving and not producing. A young guy had to take on the leadership role and none of the younger guys were willing or able to shoulder it.

Not everything is Tomlin's fault - contrary to what is popular on these boards. It's a cop out answer and if we insist on pinning the blame on Tomlin, nothing is going to improve or change. The players need to step up and take accountability for what they're doing or in this case, not doing, and be responsible.
Nothing like having a head coach who's just not responsible for anything, nothing's his fault, doesn't have to fix anything because he's never wrong. Now that's a formula for success if I ever saw one.

Now in Mike's defense, the last time the steeler brass installed one of their personal friends, Joe Walton, as offensive coordinator, the team performed down to the pre 1970's level. Which was very very bad. And they did so for several years. Until they finally got rid of the bum.

Last edited by BowCatShot; 02-24-2013 at 09:11 AM.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #44
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,029 Times in 4,574 Posts

via Dave Bryan of @SteelersDepot on Twitter

AB Admits There Was 'Awkwardness' With Mike Wallace

Brown was asked last Wednesday on 98.7 ESPN Radio New York if there was any awkwardness between he and Wallace in the locker room last season because he was the receiver that received the new contract.

"Some bit of awkwardness," said Brown. "You know, a guy who had been there longer than I and definitely wanting a deal, but you gotta not dwell on that and that kind of situation prohibits bad blood to a team where guys are there for themselves, and not buy into the team aspects and could definitely cause a drama within a team."

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
fer522 (02-25-2013), harrison'samonster (02-25-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #45
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Cynical

I have to say we are all wondering who is going to step up as a leader in the locker room. I honestly think it should be Tomlin telling these guys to knock it off. Really it is his team, locker room leaders are great to have, but without one, it shouldn't be unraveling like it SEEMS to be.

At the same time I don't have a problem with Brown speaking out. Maybe this is his way of stepping up and leading. Maybe it can be done in a better way (not to the media) but, doesn't bother me much.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #46
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,449 Times in 2,115 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardlad View Post
I have to say we are all wondering who is going to step up as a leader in the locker room. I honestly think it should be Tomlin telling these guys to knock it off. Really it is his team, locker room leaders are great to have, but without one, it shouldn't be unraveling like it SEEMS to be.

At the same time I don't have a problem with Brown speaking out. Maybe this is his way of stepping up and leading. Maybe it can be done in a better way (not to the media) but, doesn't bother me much.
1. Brown needs some serious public speaking classes or a language coach or maybe even both - its as bad if not worse than Shannon Sharpe - a favorite player of mine nonetheless

2. Hines Ward was a great leader both by example and voice - coming out and speaking his mind to the media is exactly what Antonio Brown is doing. I don't particularly know if it is necessary or useful and I'd pref just not say anything outside of locker room or 1 on 1, but for as great as Ward was, he would be on networks as much if not more than Brown, calling out a ton of guys. He came out against Ben plenty but also came to, put his arm around him at training camp, and I think that made a big statement to the rest of the team and Steeler Nation

My point is - no one seems to have each others' backs on this team - no unity and a lot of me firsts. Hopefully AB is cutting his teeth in the leadership role - refining it for next season

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #47
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,552 Times in 3,980 Posts

look at amanning, brady, rodgers, or brees led team.

is anyone waiting for a 3rd or 4th year WR to step up and be a leader?

do all of bens teammates think he is a fucking clown?

he still acts like he is a 2nd year player trying to appease, pacify, and win over veterans such as jerome, faneca, and ward.

look how he coddled the sucky OL after the 08 SB win and how he continues to do the same with wallace.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #48
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,552 Times in 3,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I've don't really take Ward's comments on the current situation in the locker room to seriously. He wasn't there this year and is like the rest of us a spectator. Granted he knows the players really well, but he wasn't there himself.
yeah, but you dont have to be in the band to know the music you are hearing sucks...
Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #49
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,262 Times in 4,117 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
yeah, but you dont have to be in the band to know the music you are hearing sucks...
very true. just as long as Hines doesn't turn into our Yoko Ono. I realize he's just getting started in the media business and I hope he turns it into a successful career.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #50
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,741 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
That's a good one.

How about these:

,You can have the world's greatest composition, but if it's played by a couple of 6 graders, odds are, it isn't going to be good, regardless of the conductor.

OR

You can be the best fiddle player in the world, but if you are playing a crap piece of music, you can't play it good.

AND,

If the alto sax is flat, nobody sounds good.

Last edited by VaDave; 02-27-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: gramer
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-27-2013), steelfury02 (02-27-2013), tony hipchest (02-27-2013)