Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #61
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default Re: Offensive Line is STILL a big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Sorry, If Jonathan Cooper is available, the'd better pull the trigger. We have running backs and wide receivers, both of which are greatly enhanced by a fully functioning OL. Further more, consider the astounding lack of depth , Legursky & Malecki, after Starks and Foster leave for free agency,

As far as the other areas of need listed, and there are many, there is little first round value for those positions. If Cooper or Womack are gone, I'd trade down for more pics.
I agree totally, but not sure about trading down for more picks. We have other important needs, and if there's a good player there that can fill one of them - gotta do it. But nothring would make me happier than solving the LG problem, and addressing OL depth at the same tile. This would also keep Beachum in the mix at OT, especially if Gilbert can't get his head right.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #62
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Ed: Another Lineman in 1st Round? Not Likely

TUESDAY, 26 FEBRUARY 2013
WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Normally, the free agency period would begin Friday, but it kept being pushed back and now it’s almost into the Ides of March. The NFL now wants to push it back even more, push the draft back more, into May, and just stretch this offseason for every single bit of drama it can wring out of it.

Yet, at the same time, the new CBA won’t allow players to work out together at the team’s facility until the middle of April April and then only strength and conditioning coaches can work with the players. The practices, commonly known as OTAs, cannot take place until after the draft and then only 10 are permitted.

The union fought for those rules, not NFL management, because it wanted to limit what was required in the offseason in “voluntary” workouts.

When I first began covering the Steelers for the Post-Gazette, there were no OTAs, no offseason workouts, not even organized weight lifting by the team. Chuck Noll did not believe in it and he detested the fact that some teams paid their players to actually lift weights in a structured environment at their facilities. He could get away with it previously because no NFL teams believed in such an offseason routine. But when others started doing it, the Steelers fell behind; perhaps that is why their record in the 1980s was so dismal.

As more and more put in offseason “voluntary” workouts, other teams had to do it to keep up with the Joneses. It was getting out of hand, however, and the union pushed for rules and then tightened them to where we are today.

Onto some stuff:

--- Kevin Colbert says the Steelers could draft a guard at No. 17, and I believe he believes that because he believes strongly in going with the highest rated prospect – to a point. Kevin also was there when he and Bill Cowher, according to Dan Rooney, wanted to draft a guard in the first round in 2004 and instead Rooney stepped into the conversation and turned it toward the quarterback.

--- To remind those about what the line should look like to open 2013, barring injuries and other foreseen calamaties that often beset them, the Steelers offensive line should look like this from left to right: Marcus Gilbert (2nd round, 2011), Kelvin Beachum (7th round, 2012), Maurkice Pouncey (1st round, 2010), David DeCastro (1st round, 2012), Mike Adams (2nd round, 2012). After ignoring the offensive line high in the draft for a decade, the Steelers have poured 67 percent of their top two draft picks into it the past three years. They can stop now.

--- They better get some wide receivers and a lead running back or that offensive line will have no one to block for.

--- The Steelers have drafted five linemen in their six picks in the first two rounds the past three years, counting defensive end Cam Heyward. The only player in the top two rounds not a lineman was linebacker Jason Worilds, picked in the second round in 2010.

--- Ziggy Hood, their top selection in 2009, enters the final year of his contract. Typically, this is the year they would try to sign him to a new one, before the start of the season. Will they?

--- Worilds also enters the final year of his contract. If they believe he is the heir apparent to James Harrison, shouldn’t they try to extend him now?

--- The Steelers have been spot on for the most part in keeping the young players they want to keep, but that is about to end as both Mike Wallace and, perhaps Keenan Lewis, head elsewhere as unrestricted free agents. Some might lump Rashard Mendenhall in there as well.

--- The last young free agents the Steelers lost who they really would have preferred to keep were safety Chris Hope and receiver Antwaan Randle El in 2006 and receiver Nate Washington in 2009.

--- If Doug Legursky leaves as a free agent, John Malecki will take his place as the backup center/guard.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...und-not-likely
Maybe Hope...The Steelers never have paid Wideouts big money ( except Ward) Washington dropped every other pass but had " huge potential' like Sanders but is nothing more than an average 3 wideout ( like Sanders) Randle El was what he was in Whiz's offense, but nothing worth paying big bucks for.

Harrison needs cut ( unless he takes a big cut in pay) and Worilds is another draft mistake to this point. Hopefully he improves this year and we can sign him cheap.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #63
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Didn't the Steelers have DeCastro graded as a Top Ten pick last year????

If Jonathan Cooper is close to that, I have a hard time believing they're going to pass up on him

They have been nearly fanatical when it comes to BPA

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #64
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,556 Times in 887 Posts

If Cooper is on the board and we don't take him I'd be flabbergasted. If you like what you saw out of DeCastro,, you need to check out Cooper's highlights from UNC. I know I've been sounding like a Johnny One Note on this guy, but the kid can play.

Most folks are thinking of playing Beachum at LG, and use the pick for something else, but there is nothing in the first twenty picks that I can see that would be a better value. If you draft a defensive player, they are going to sit a year. For offensive skill players like RB and WR, you end up paying through the nose for them, and their careers are relatively short.

Trading down is an option, but with a good possibility that both Starks and Foster are going to leave via FA, leaves us with only Legurski and Malecki for depth. The talent level in this years draft for OL drops off the cliff after Womack and Cooper are off the board. I wouldn't bet the farm at Colon's return either. Even if he did, just how many innings can you expect out of him before he gets hurt again?

Hey, this just my opinion, and I'm sure as heck no expert. I've been wrong as rain before.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #65
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,905 Times in 865 Posts
My Mood: Cool

I they keep Starks I don't see us picking OL in R1
Old 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #66
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,556 Times in 887 Posts

As much as I would love to see Max stick, Starks is going to get around a $2 million two, year deal at least in free agency, and a starting job. At best he would be offered a vet minimum contract and a spot on the bench with the Steelers until either Adams or Gilbert went down.

Why would he sign with us? Keep in mind, this more than likely be Starks last chance at a decent pay for the rest of his life.

Even if we did hang on to Starks, Legurski is a stop gap at center at best, and a liability at either guard position. Malecki is another underpowered lineman, better suited for center than guard as well, If either Beachum ( the assumed LG at this point) or DeCastro go down, we are screwed royally. The best thing about Beachum is his position flexibility. He's got the brains to mentally understand all 5 positions ( no small feat) and skills to execute reasonable well.

I guess we'll see my friend.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #67
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Although our OL is not a top 10 OL, I think with the youth, age and new coach, its low on our worry list.

Even with the potential loss of Starks and Colon, we still have young players and depth.

Both Adams and Beechum played well late and will only get better
We will have Decastro hopefully all year
Re-signing Legurksy is a big key for depth
Pouncey is the #1 C in the league
Gilbert is solid when he plays.

LT- Adams
LG- Decastro
C- POuncey
RG- Foster
RT- Gilbert

If they stay healthy they are big and athletic and will be fine.

More pressing needs elsewhere
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #68
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Although our OL is not a top 10 OL, I think with the youth, age and new coach, its low on our worry list.

Even with the potential loss of Starks and Colon, we still have young players and depth.

Both Adams and Beechum played well late and will only get better
We will have Decastro hopefully all year
Re-signing Legurksy is a big key for depth
Pouncey is the #1 C in the league
Gilbert is solid when he plays.

LT- Adams
LG- Decastro
C- POuncey
RG- Foster
RT- Gilbert

If they stay healthy they are big and athletic and will be fine.

More pressing needs elsewhere
Gilbert wasn't solid when he played last year - he took a big step backwards in his second year. Also, DeCastro is RG, not LG. Also, Foster is unlikely to still be around, so LG is vacant. Colon and Starks are probably gone, so we're down a starter at LG and at least two backups. We need more players for depth.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #69
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Gilbert wasn't solid when he played last year - he took a big step backwards in his second year. Also, DeCastro is RG, not LG. Also, Foster is unlikely to still be around, so LG is vacant. Colon and Starks are probably gone, so we're down a starter at LG and at least two backups. We need more players for depth.
I believe you have been pleading that oline is a major need but let's look at this based on %s

Based on starters and that they will be around or at least 2 more years

Qb- we need 1 starter and we have that in Ben so need in 0% for that position
Rb- you need 1 starter and we don't have a full time back (Dwyer and redman are backups) so need is 100% for the position
Wr- you need 3 good starters ( z, x, slot ) in this pass happy league we have two brown and sanders so we need one more so need would be 33%
Tight end- this is a rare case cause of millers injury so ill just give it a 40% need at the moment
Oline- 5 starters and we currently have 4 Adams,Gilbert, dd, pouncey so we need would be 20%
Dline- need 3 starters and we currently have Brett but this is his last year but you still have his backup in heyward, hood, and the McClendon so need is 0%
Linebacker- 4 starters and based on the criteria of being here for 2 more years we have Timmons and Woodley so need is 50%
Cornerback- starters 3 now a days we have Ike, Lewis and Allen need 0%
Safety- starters 2 and Clark and Troy most likely wont be around for 2 years so safety is 100%

As you can see based on starters alone rb, safety, linebacker, te, wr are our biggest needs. And what I mean by all this is having 4 of 5 lineman is pretty good when thinking of a team as a puzzle but we have bigger pieces meaning starters missing at other positions. Now you can argue depth is important for oline as is very every position but depth is for rounds 4+
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #70
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,623 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I still dont get how you definitively say that Gilbert regressed last year when he only played 5 games?

Steelers pencilled in Adams in at LT in training camp, when IMO they should have put Gilbert at LT and let him get those practice reps. I think we are going to be fine with Gilbert at LT and we will see when he gets a full offseason, preseason, at the position.