Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #31
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,346 Times in 4,145 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers Keenan Lewis hints at 'a secret'

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Mediocre is a pretty good word. The Steelers DBs forced 2 turnovers all season long and looked bad vs teams like Tenn,Oak and KC. Stats mean very little when you cannot stop QBs from sub .500 teams driving down the field to win games
me·di·o·cre
/ˌmēdēˈōkər/
Adjective
Of only moderate quality; not very good: "a mediocre actor".

mediocre isn't a good way to describe the part of the defense that is most responsible for defending the pass when that defense led the league against the pass.

I agree with you, stats mean nothing when you lose and we were 8-8. That doesn't mean everything was bad.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #32
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13572

I'll take our group of "mediocre DB's who had no problems shutting down one of the best WR corps in the NFL, TWICE last season against our biggest rival the Ravens. Torri Smith was a no show with Ike on him, Boldin caught passes, but didn't surpass 100 yards with Keenan on him, and Jacoby Jones won a game against us on ST, but Cortez handled him in the slot. Seeing how that group of WR's is staying together, I really want our same group of DB's back to do the same to Baltimore this season, perhaps we'll even have Troy and a pass rush? In that case our number 1 defense statistic may actually matter.
tmacsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmacsteelerfan For This Useful Post:
BlaZeQuietly (03-09-2013), harrison'samonster (03-03-2013), lardlad (03-05-2013), wootawnee (03-05-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
is that how they play corner on Madden?

you don't cover a WR's stats - you cover his speed
Not sure, I'll ask my son how he does things on Madden. Mike Wallace underperformed immensely, while the Browns rookie from Baylor played better than most thought he would. Wonder who had more drops last season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
We faced perhaps the weakest passing attacks in one season we probably will ever face. Any decent ones we faced we gave up yards and lost. We let teams dink and dunk and maybe our stats look good but our record says different. There aren't more than a handful of teams that Lewis is good enough to be a number 2 on let alone deserving of number 1 money. He is just not that good.
Just watch what he gets for a contract. You say Lewis isnt that good....based on what?? INT's??? Passes defended?? Tackles??

I love the pessimistic Steeler fans that cry we need better CB's, then when a Steeler CB actually has a great season, they think he isnt worth retaining.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #34
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21191

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
As he should be...He became a Steeler fan board legend with zero picks and second receiver coverage ( Ike ) He could be Larry Brown the second.
I get the general idea of your post, but Keenan isn't Larry Brown II. He was an integral part of the number one defensive secondary in football without a pass rush. He also grew steadily during the year and when Ike went down moved into the top role flawlessly. I'm not suggesting he's the second coming of Darrell Revis, but this kid's got game and I think he's a very important signing for the Steelers.
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelbelieve For This Useful Post:
Bane (03-03-2013), harrison'samonster (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Not sure, I'll ask my son how he does things on Madden. Mike Wallace underperformed immensely, while the Browns rookie from Baylor played better than most thought he would. Wonder who had more drops last season?

Just watch what he gets for a contract. You say Lewis isnt that good....based on what?? INT's??? Passes defended?? Tackles??

I love the pessimistic Steeler fans that cry we need better CB's, then when a Steeler CB actually has a great season, they think he isnt worth retaining.
I don't care about stats when it comes to players performance. It's very misleading. I use the eye test. I dissect the team and its players. I consistently see Lewis a day late and a dollar short. He never had to face any of the stud receivers and when he did, our team lost and he was average. He can't keep up with receivers on their breaks. It's both his lack of ability and his lack of skill. I am sure he will get a nice contract but the team that does will regret it. If you can't put your corner on an island with the games best receivers then he isn't worth the money. But Lewis can't even cover number two's. Yes his stats show he had so many pass defends but this was against really subpar passing attacks, where he was thrown at instead of at Ike, so with increased chances come increased defends. That would be okay if he was like a lot of the other suspect corners who get picked on who at least get INT once in a while. Lewis does not.

Just because he is better than what we have does not make him worth what he is seeking. It's a condemnation of our total failure at addressing this position over the last decade. Total failure. So in comparison to Gay, Lewis is head and shoulders better. In comparison to Ike, Ike is as much superior to Lewis as Lewis is to Gay.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #36
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

Quote:
I use the eye test. I dissect the team and its players.
From your TV or the stands?
I had to LOL
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #37
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Mike Wallace underperformed immensely.
So did the whole team, doesn't make him any slower.

so he's the new scapegoat now?

He had Mr Dink&Dunk at OC - I don't blame him for getting the hell out of town
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #38
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
So did the whole team, doesn't make him any slower.

so he's the new scapegoat now?

He had Mr Dink&Dunk at OC - I don't blame him for getting the hell out of town
Pat* are a dink & dunk team. Brady, Welker and company have not problem lighting up the score board, and racking up the yardage the same time.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelers>NFL For This Useful Post:
Steelerindc (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #39
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

WE ARE NOT THE PATS!

get that shit out of your head
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
zcoop (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #40
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
I don't care about stats when it comes to players performance. It's very misleading. I use the eye test. I dissect the team and its players. I consistently see Lewis a day late and a dollar short. He never had to face any of the stud receivers and when he did, our team lost and he was average. He can't keep up with receivers on their breaks. It's both his lack of ability and his lack of skill. I am sure he will get a nice contract but the team that does will regret it. If you can't put your corner on an island with the games best receivers then he isn't worth the money. But Lewis can't even cover number two's. Yes his stats show he had so many pass defends but this was against really subpar passing attacks, where he was thrown at instead of at Ike, so with increased chances come increased defends. That would be okay if he was like a lot of the other suspect corners who get picked on who at least get INT once in a while. Lewis does not.

Just because he is better than what we have does not make him worth what he is seeking. It's a condemnation of our total failure at addressing this position over the last decade. Total failure. So in comparison to Gay, Lewis is head and shoulders better. In comparison to Ike, Ike is as much superior to Lewis as Lewis is to Gay.
Lewis was a man cover corner at Oregon St. It took him a couple years to adjust to playing off man coverage. He finally has all his technique down to go along with his size, speed and understanding of the NFL game.

I hate leaning on stats too, but the passes defended seem to show he is breaking up more passes than most other NFL CB's. I see a guy that is playing great as an NFL CB, but you think he is merely a nickle corner. So I guess by your estimation, William Gay will be an upgrade.