Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
I would take him in the first. He's a little bit of Percy Harvin and a little bit of Desean Jackson. He's similar in size and stature to Jackson but he isn't a head case. He doesn't showboat and he's a much, much better runner. Jackson was taken in the 2nd round and Harvin was taken in the first. If Austin had a few inches like 5ft-11in and 10-15 lbs more he'd be a guaranteed top ten pick. He has said he models his game after Wes Welker who is 5'9 and 185 lbs if you didn't know... That is 2 inches and 5-10lbs on Austin, and Austin is much, much faster and game-breaking.

" Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them. "

That video shows a bunch of hitches, hooks, short crossing patterns and drops. No doubt that Austin is both quick and fast, but nothing that I can see would make me want to spend #17 on him.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
SteelerJay
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16041

Good but not in 1st round
SteelerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24848

I see no picks at 17 w/out some issues, must hit on #1, thatís why Iím sticking with Vaccaro, although not a Polamalu pick; fits a need should be above average safety for years. Given this-I would be OK with Austin at 17-but would pick Vaccaro if his is there:

Kenny Vaccaro- S-Texas (OK w/Austin, Rhoades, Jesse Wms, Eifert)

David Amerson- CB/S S. Carolina (Lemonier, Brown, Green, Moore, Collins)
Ball hawk that provides depth at C and S immediately, time to grow into a starter,
possibly to team with Vaccaro.
Ryan Swope- WR Texas Tech
Tough, quick, and fast, should soften the loss of Ward and Sanders.
LeVeon Bell-RB Mich. State
Not top notch acceleration or speed, but a complete back. The smaller backs arenít
that much faster, so I will go with what appears to be a more complete and stable back
for the long haul.
AJ Klein- ILB Iowa State
Best ILB on the board.
Rodney Smith; WR-FSU
Tall receiver to replace Burris, may not run best routes, but coachable and solid pick
this late.
Vince Williams-ILB FSU

Really wanted a TE, but this mock gives us some playmakers on both sides of the ball. Remember David Johnson was having a tremendous game in Phila before his injury, has something to prove. We need hungry and humble players (with talent), not self-promoting ďstars.Ē

Hope we can move down, gain some picks (get one of the top 3 TEs; Ryan Griffin/Tulane, Sorenson S. Utah as developmental QB; Ray Graham).
Pitt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitt15 For This Useful Post:
Galax Steeler (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
CrickRat23
Bench Warmer

Breakout Champion! Drunk Driver Championship Champion! Sonic Champion! Street Fighter Champion!
Member Number: 24843

I would not mind if they took Tavon in the 1st ( although he would not be my 1st choice ). Every level he has played at they said he was too small, but at every level he has produced numbers. In high school they said he was too small, all he did was go on to become the all time leading rusher in Maryland high school history. They said he was too small to play big time college football at WVU, I think he performed pretty well there. Now they say he is too small to play in the NFL. I know the NFL is a different beast, but I think he will be fine.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rancisco-49ers

The article states that san fran may be looking to move up and take him. Greg Cossell however has him as a top 10 talent and everyone is now stating if he makes it to the Rams at 16 he won't go any further. I doubt the Steelers would move up for him... I still want him to be a steeler though lol
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,739 Times in 7,498 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rancisco-49ers

The article states that san fran may be looking to move up and take him. Greg Cossell however has him as a top 10 talent and everyone is now stating if he makes it to the Rams at 16 he won't go any further. I doubt the Steelers would move up for him... I still want him to be a steeler though lol
In Cosell I trust. The dude knows what he's talking about. He watches film... and bases his analysis on that film (not on opinion or on 40 times). And, the dude is usually spot on.

If Austin gets past the Rams (I truly seeing him going 16), and he is there at 17... as much as I love Austin, if I could get the 49ers' two early picks (& a R3 pick), I think I'd make the trade. This is a deep, deep draft.

SF gets: 17
PITT gets: 31, 34, and a R3 pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
In Cosell I trust. The dude knows what he's talking about. He watches film... and bases his analysis on that film (not on opinion or on 40 times). And, the dude is usually spot on.

If Austin gets past the Rams (I truly seeing him going 16), and he is there at 17... as much as I love Austin, if I could get the 49ers' two early picks (& a R3 pick), I think I'd make the trade. This is a deep, deep draft.

SF gets: 17
PITT gets: 31, 34, and a R3 pick.
I'd gladly trade back for more picks like that too.

I like Cosell and respect his breakdowns, but I really hope somebody other than the Steelers takes Austin. Cosell had Jimmy Williams CB Colorado as one of his top 10 talents 2 years ago. Not sure how some would look at that now.

I hope somebody takes a shot on a slot receiver and kick returner in the top 10 so the Steelers can get an OLB or a SS.

Greg Cosell calls Andy Dalton a fourth-round talent
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-round-talent/
Old 03-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I like Cosell and respect his breakdowns, but I really hope somebody other than the Steelers takes Austin. Cosell had Jimmy Williams CB Colorado as one of his top 10 talents 2 years ago. Not sure how some would look at that now.

I hope somebody takes a shot on a slot receiver and kick returner in the top 10 so the Steelers can get an OLB or a SS.

Yeah as much as I like Austin, if those picks are offered, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. We have a lot of needs to fill.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #19
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,739 Times in 7,498 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Even Cosell makes mistakes. But, the vast majority of the time, he's spot on.

Heck, a few years ago, I watched Vernon Gholston eat Jake Long's lunch (Ohio St vs. Michigan)... and thus, I swore that Gholston was the next Joey Porter. I was very, very wrong. Veeeeeery wrong.

Anyway, this is a deep draft. More picks (& Elam) is the smartest move.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

He has a lot of physical talent, but he doesn't have very good running instincts. He seems too eager to cut it back, and he runs laterally after the catch too often. He could probably improve in these areas with good coaching.

Coming from a spread offense, don't you worry about how he will adjust to the NFL?