Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Cpitt78
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 18674
Default Mock

This is how I'd like to see the Steelers draft go down. Undecided on the 1st and 2nd round picks but I'd be happy with any of the players I have slotted there.

1st Tavon Austin, WR / Cordarrelle Patterson, WR / Xavier Rhodes, CB / Kenny Vaccaro, FS / Jarvis Jones, OLB
2nd Matt Elam, SS/ Robert Woods, WR
3rd Travis Kelce, TE
3rd (from Patriots if we lose Sanders) Marquise Goodwin, WR
4th Marcus Lattimore, RB
5th Michael Mauti, MLB
6th Nickell Robey, CB
6th (compensatory) Joe Kruger, DE
7th Earl Wolff, SS

My thoughts on the picks: FYI: Some of the highlight videos are not safe for work due to language.

ROUND 1:
Austin is a weapon much like Harvin was for the Vikings. A little smaller but if used right he could be deadly.

Patterson is a bigger receiver with nice upside. Compared to Donald Driver.

Rhodes would offer up some much needed help at the corner position with the loss of Lewis.

Vaccaro is hard for me to justify here being that we have Troy and Clark but if the FO picks him I'm ok with it.

Jones has the spinal stuff that concerns me but again, if the FO picks him I'm ok with it.

ROUND 2:
Elam would offer some depth at safety. Not in love with his hands but no one is going to be Troy.

Woods is a great route runner and finds a way to get open. I love what I see on tape from him.

ROUND 3:
Kelce is being compared by some to Gronk and we could use another tight end. This guy is a Steeler.

Goodwin has blazing 4.25 speed and could help us stretch the field and partially replace the void of Wallace.

ROUND 4:
Lattimore would be the biggest steal of this draft if he comes back healthy.

ROUND 5:
Mauti is my homer pick but that guy is a leader and our locker room needs more of them right now.

ROUND6:
Robey is a bit undersized but fast and very athletic so if he can make up for his lack of size that would b a steal.

Kruger may develop into the player his brother is and that would be another steal for us.

ROUND 7:
Wolff could contribute right away on special teams and has all the tools to be a productive safety as well.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Cpitt78; 04-11-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: adding highlight videos
Cpitt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cpitt78 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,998 Times in 3,719 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Mock

looks good. I'm like you, can't decide any of the first 2 rounds. If I were you I'd consider another LB in the second. I love the 3rd to 7th. That TE you've got in the 3rd looks pretty good.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Cpitt78
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
looks good. I'm like you, can't decide any of the first 2 rounds. If I were you I'd consider another LB in the second. I love the 3rd to 7th. That TE you've got in the 3rd looks pretty good.
If we passed on Jarvis in the first then I could see us going for another OLB in the second if someone slipped out of the first like Cornellius (Tank) Carradine -- assuming the team thinks he can play OLB. I just don't see a middle linebacker worthy of that spot. I'd much rather the leadership and instincts of Mauti in the 5th.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Cpitt78
Bench Warmer
Supporter

When I think of a special player at the DE/LB position, I am thinking to next year and I am talking about Jadeveon Clowney. If this season doesn't go well for us I am hoping we can get him.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Corey Lemonier is another possiblity in the 2nd, if he falls to us then. I do like the Lattimore and Mauti picks, but injury is a concern with both
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Cpitt78
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Corey Lemonier is another possiblity in the 2nd, if he falls to us then. I do like the Lattimore and Mauti picks, but injury is a concern with both
Good points about the injury but that is also why we may have a shot at them in the later rounds. Risk reward kind of thing - now if they FO passes we know that the risk was probably too high. Conversely, if they aren't there it may be a sign that the risk wasn't high enough :)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cpitt78 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Cpitt78
Bench Warmer
Supporter

I'm curious if the mocks that have us taking Bjoern Werner in the first are projecting him as a DE or an OLB? I'm guessing LB.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
smooth
Water Boy

Member Number: 24794

Like your mock for the most of it.

It's easy to justify Vacarro being selected. Clark will be a UFA and Troy could be a cut next year if he has another injury plagued season. Depth is also a concern. Can't see them not taking a safety in the first three rounds.

I would rather see another option instead of Goodwin. He is fast, but has trouble tracking a deep ball. Stedman Bailey if he's there would be a better option.

Good job though, I like the guys you have listed. Jones and Patterson scare me a little bit, but they do have big potential.

The Steelers may want more of a sure thing at running back. Lattimore may be going to a team that already has an established feature back.But if he is to overcome his injuries, he will be a steal where you have him.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,756 Times in 8,644 Posts
My Mood: Dead

A NB named Nickell. Nice.

I'd also like a LB named Sack, a safety named Pick, and a WR whose initials are TD.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-13-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpitt78 View Post
Good points about the injury but that is also why we may have a shot at them in the later rounds. Risk reward kind of thing - now if they FO passes we know that the risk was probably too high. Conversely, if they aren't there it may be a sign that the risk wasn't high enough :)
what do you think of Nico Johnson, AJ Klein, Bruce Taylor or Jon Bostic as ILB? They might go in the 4th, so you'd have to draft them higher than Mauti. I think Taylor might still be there in the later rounds though.