Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #31
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default Re: Woiuld you be upset if we went OL at 17?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Obviously someone will bring this post up Thursday night after we pick so let me get my wordin. I iI gurentee we do not draft a guard round 1. There is no way the Steelers will draft back to back guards in round 1 when they haveholes everywhere. We can argue all week but in the end you will see.
Well I'd like to see your gurentee tested if Wooper and/or Carmack are available! :) We'd need a really special player to pass up those two. Obviously, if those guys aren't around, we go for best available player almost anywhere.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #32
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,566 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Well I'd like to see your gurentee tested if Wooper and/or Carmack are available! :) We'd need a really special player to pass up those two. Obviously, if those guys aren't around, we go for best available player almost anywhere.
Same for me lol.....if they're available . I'd be shocked they had someone higher on their board. It may not be the greatest area if need but it's an upgrade over Foster.
Steelstoned1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelstoned1972 For This Useful Post:
stiller39 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
SteelPride1207
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16128

Quote:
Obviously someone will bring this post up Thursday night after we pick so let me get my wordin. I iI gurentee we do not draft a guard round 1. There is no way the Steelers will draft back to back guards in round 1 when they haveholes everywhere. We can argue all week but in the end you will see.
Makes sense...doesn't mean its the best answer...but I trust the front office... despite the abysmal draft record recently.
SteelPride1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelPride1207 For This Useful Post:
stiller39 (04-23-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #34
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,402 Times in 4,387 Posts

Quote:
We just resigned Foster. That was their answer to anyone suggesting that we might draft a Guard in the first round.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
First off just because you or I think these two guards are special dosnt mean the Steelers do. We have no idea were they rank these two. Maybe they have one of the safeties above both of them. A few seasons ago everyone thought kyle Wilson was a can't miss corner and there was no way we would pass on such a special player if he dropped to us.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #36
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,041 Times in 508 Posts

The Steelers admitted that they had DD ranked as one of the top Guard prospects in the last decade....Draft gurus across the board have those two at that level if not higher.

I have a hard time believing that there will be a better player on the board in this draft if they are still around at 17...The Steelers have been nearly fanatical when it comes to BPA in the 1st

Alas, this debate isn't going to matter much because they probably won't be there anyway.The Titans and the Chargers looked primed to eat them up

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #37
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,711 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We just resigned Foster. That was their answer to anyone suggesting that we might draft a Guard in the first round.
Or it could have been a depth hire... He can play three positions, maybe 4. BTW, one point to consider, the only reason Foster has seen the field is because somebody got hurt.

Moving him to LG is questionable as he doesn't hit his blocks real well in space, and we run that counter trap at least 10 times a game or more. We can get by with him for a game or two with him there, but 16 games, I don't think so.

I would be floored if either Cooper or Womack we on the board and we pass. Of course, I'd be floored if either one of those two were there at #17......
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #38
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

We can't go O line period. We have plenty of talent on the O line and a few solid backups. If they can't get by with having 2 #1 picks and 2 #2 picks in the last 3 years then fuck it.

As for going OLB, I would not be mad at all. I would like to see Worilds get a full starting year in, especially since he has bulked up, but that's a big risk to take. I think Safety is a bigger concern since whatever safety we draft will likely have to be groomed for 2 years to get used to our system. As long as the pick is on defense or a 6'5 WR then I'll be happy. We just need someone who can make a big catch in traffic, or someone who can lay some big hits and get some turnovers and QB pressure on the defensive side. We need impact players.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #39
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
First off just because you or I think these two guards are special dosnt mean the Steelers do. We have no idea were they rank these two. Maybe they have one of the safeties above both of them. A few seasons ago everyone thought kyle Wilson was a can't miss corner and there was no way we would pass on such a special player if he dropped to us.
i feel like every year, i hear the same thing about guards or tackles..
being once in a decade players.. generation or whatever

last year decastro was a once in a decade guard with how great he was now this year cooper and walmack or once in a generation cards

seems like the "special, decade" term get tossed around very loosely
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #40
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
We can't go O line period. We have plenty of talent on the O line and a few solid backups. If they can't get by with having 2 #1 picks and 2 #2 picks in the last 3 years then fuck it.
Sorry tanda, but I think you're seriously off base. I really don't care who was a #1, a #2, a #3 pick, or a UFA. I watch the games, as we all do. And then I watch the OL in slow-mo, as I always do, because I've been trying to figure out what's been going wrong with that unit for the past 5-6 years. And I'm not happy with what I see. When we get above-the-line production on the field, I'll be happy. Until then, we need to try again.

Look, I'm going to be very honest here. We have exactly one proven above-the-line starter on OL, and that's Pouncey. And furthermore, that guy is a world-beater. Now, I'm an optimist, so I'm going to stretch. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that DD is another world-beater, because that's what my eyes tell me. And furthermore, because I'm an optimist, I'll go out on another limb: I think Adams will be great, because he's got a motor that won't quit, and he's only getting burned on technique (which can be taught) - but he keeps working, and keeps bouncing back. When Adams gets beat, he gets up and tries to salvage what he can. I love seeing that.

But that's it, and 3/5 of an OL (optimistically, on faith) doesn't cut it.

Foster is a depth player, a guy who keeps starting because there's nobody else available. He's acceptable as the weak link on a good line, but ideally he's a flexible backup.

And Gilbert is a big question mark. His rookie season was promising, but in year 2, Gilbert showed up out of shape and unmotivated, and he got his ass kicked. I think he could be a solid starter, but that's up to him and his work effort. If he doesn't get serious this year, the Steelers coaches will be trying to figure out how to get max value from him in year 4 while planning to ease him out. I'm hoping for more.

If you think our OL has proven a damn thing, you're just not watching. It's that simple.

We've waited over two decades for a QB who can carry this team to SB's. Let's give him some NFL-caliber protection for the second half of his career. Hell, let's give him a great NFL OL. I'm sick of seeing our most important player laying on his back four times a game, despite his incredible ability to escape from pressure.

Seriously, open your eyes and watch what's happening!

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
VaDave (04-21-2013)