Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,306 Times in 2,995 Posts
My Mood: Goofy
Default Re: The holes on Steelers roster? Blame them on the Class of 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
First of all, I never use "we" when talking about the Steelers. I feel that language should be reserved for players, coaches and other employees of the team.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what I think. The Steelers have made a habit out of alternating which side of the ball they draft first on from year to year. This is the year for defense.

Thirdly, I am incredulous that you don't understand my sig was strictly intended to be entertaining.

Lastly, Ben is not a great quarterback nor will he ever be. Roethlisberger is a very good quarterback and has played very well in some big games. He is the team's franchise quarterback and I have not heard one person say he should be replaced.

Do you think Roethlisberger is a HOF quarterback? I do not. If you do I guess he will have to wait until after Eli Manning gets in because Eli has the same number of Superbowl wins (and not one but two SB MVP awards) and his team is top 10 in offense year after year after year like clockwork.
Amazing that you don't understand other people's posts. Only you say things sarcastically I guess.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Hmm the "Weapons for Ben" draft was one of the worst Steelers drafts ever.

Makes you wonder why people are still advocating the same strategy of creating a high power offense through high 1st round draft picks of skill positions on offense.

I prefer the approach of drafting the cheaper interior OL and DL positions seeing as those players will have longer careers and be affordable.
Exactly. Many may know that I bitched about this draft for years. I wanted an O line in the 1st round and when it didn't happen, I was hoping we would get one in the 2nd like Jeremy Zuttah, but that never happened.

I was all over guys like Zuttah, Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, John Greco, Jordy Nelson, Early Doucet, Eddie Royal, Kendall Langford, Dan Connor, Cliff Avril, Red Bryant, Brandon Flowers, Tashard Choice, Jerome Felton.............and we took a bunch of guys that didn't help the team.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Exactly. Many may know that I bitched about this draft for years. I wanted an O line in the 1st round and when it didn't happen, I was hoping we would get one in the 2nd like Jeremy Zuttah, but that never happened.

I was all over guys like Zuttah, Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, John Greco, Jordy Nelson, Early Doucet, Eddie Royal, Kendall Langford, Dan Connor, Cliff Avril, Red Bryant, Brandon Flowers, Tashard Choice, Jerome Felton.............and we took a bunch of guys that didn't help the team.
You were right.

I don't watch college football so I don't know those players. (Now I recognize them because of the NFL).

The bottom line is the team lost Faneca, Simmons, Marvel Smith and Hartings all within 2 years and they were never suitably replaced. Sean Mahan was a nightmare at center and Justin Hartwig was only a marginal improvement from him. Replacing Faneca with Kemoeatu was a big step down as well. Kendall Simmons downgraded to Darnell Stapleton.

Once this offensive line gels the team will have a viable running attack and Roethlisberger can get back to play-action passes (which is probably his greatest strength). PA will allow plays to develop for Roethlisberger which he clearly prefers.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
WVABE (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Exactly. Many may know that I bitched about this draft for years.
Ditto.

I will admit Sweed was a good value pick, but ended up being a flop. For a team that supposedly builds through the draft, they are getting many more misses than hits.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
First of all, I never use "we" when talking about the Steelers. I feel that language should be reserved for players, coaches and other employees of the team.

Secondly, it doesn't matter what I think. The Steelers have made a habit out of alternating which side of the ball they draft first on from year to year. This is the year for defense.

Thirdly, I am incredulous that you don't understand my sig was strictly intended to be entertaining.

Lastly, Ben is not a great quarterback nor will he ever be. Roethlisberger is a very good quarterback and has played very well in some big games. He is the team's franchise quarterback and I have not heard one person say he should be replaced.

Do you think Roethlisberger is a HOF quarterback? I do not. If you do I guess he will have to wait until after Eli Manning gets in because Eli has the same number of Superbowl wins (and not one but two SB MVP awards) and his team is top 10 in offense year after year after year like clockwork.
LW you always make it a point to show that Ben has had great defenses win games for him. I mean its like the defense wins in spite of him, yet you tout Eli Manning with having two SB MVP awards as the greater QB (after Eli you said). Yet what has Eli done in his SB? How bout an offense that has scored 19 and 17 points respectively against a very mundane NE defense, yet has benefited from a defense that yielded only 17 and 14 against what had to be at the very least a top 3 offense. Ben's SB teams scored 25, 20, 21. Thats not counting the Harrison return for TD and xtra point, which I am sure is the next thing you will point out. BTW those 25 came in a losing effort against the GB packers in which the Packers scored a defensive TD (result of a Ben INt. ) yet the defense had many chances that day to stop the Packers at least more than once.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,357 Times in 3,998 Posts
My Mood: Cool

players we could have selected instead in the 2008 NFL Draft:

Round 1 - Rashard Mendenhall RB (Duane Brown OT, DeSean Jackson WR)

Round 2 - Limas Sweed WR (Ray Rice RB)

Round 3 - Bruce Davis OLB (Jermichael Finley, TE, Cliff Avril OLB)

Round 4 - Tony Hills (Josh Sitton OG)

Round 5 - Dennis Dixon QB (Carl Nicks OG)

Round 6a - Mike Humpal LB (Pierre Garcon WR)

Round 6b - Ryan Mundy S (Matt Flynn QB)

Round 7 - no selection (traded to Atlanta)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
players we could have selected instead in the 2008 NFL Draft:

Round 1 - Rashard Mendenhall RB (Duane Brown OT, DeSean Jackson WR)

Round 2 - Limas Sweed WR (Ray Rice RB)

Round 3 - Bruce Davis OLB (Jermichael Finley, TE, Cliff Avril OLB)

Round 4 - Tony Hills (Josh Sitton OG)

Round 5 - Dennis Dixon QB (Carl Nicks OG)

Round 6a - Mike Humpal LB (Pierre Garcon WR)

Round 6b - Ryan Mundy S (Matt Flynn QB)

Round 7 - no selection (traded to Atlanta)
Rice is the one that I hated to see get by us.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Rice is the one that I hated to see get by us.
True that but given our inability to run the ball as of late, I wonder if he would have been as successful here. Maybe we'd be wising for Mendenhall and his possible success at the ratbirds.

Never know how this shit would have played out.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
True that but given our inability to run the ball as of late, I wonder if he would have been as successful here. Maybe we'd be wising for Mendenhall and his possible success at the ratbirds.

Never know how this shit would have played out.
What you say is true but it just seems like Rice is a more complete back then what Mendy is. In my opinion when Rice made that 4th and 29 against the Chargers you have to ask yourself would Mendy have made that and in my opinion I would have to say no.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
What you say is true but it just seems like Rice is a more complete back then what Mendy is. In my opinion when Rice made that 4th and 29 against the Chargers you have to ask yourself would Mendy have made that and in my opinion I would have to say no.
I'll give you that and agree that Rice is a more complete back. However, Mendy may have faired better with the line that the rats had for Rice.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote