Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,845 Times in 8,667 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Being honest and in the spirit of full disclosure, I sort of lifted the observation about the grandchildren from Bill Cosby after a fashion.....

But also let it be known, my wife is the epitome of what I described. She puts up with so much crap she would NEVER have tolerated from our two sons. Me?? I'm just an old fart that just smiles, shaking my head going "What????"

Anyway. thanks for the nice words..
Bill Cosby or not, it's true. In fact, all of Bill Cosby's jewels of wisdom are true... which is why I often quote him, as well.

Brain damage!!!

Sick... & tired.

Let the beatings begin!!!

Anyway, I can see how different my parents are with my kids (their grandkids)... and it's awesome.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

On the way to work, I heard Bill Polian talking about this draft. Polian said that the "difference makers" in this draft are only about 10 players deep... and 15 if one stretches the definition of "difference makers." He then quoted Kevin Colbert, saying that Colbert had stated that there were only about 8 or 9 "difference makers" in this draft. [Nornally, Polian said, there are about 20-23 "difference makers."]

So, using the analogy du jour: there are less than ten slices of Lefty's pizza. And, if one of those slices does not drop to 17, then look for Colbert to trade back for some slices of Round Table.

Now, trading back does not mean a Herschel Walker type of trade back; I mean the Casey Hampton type of trade back (from 16 to 19, and acquiring a R4 pick). If there is not a "difference maker" there at 17, and Colbert can get the same "level" of player at 23, then why not trade back a few spots and acquire a R4 pick.

The key is for a team to WANT a certain player.

Maybe it's Geno Smith (and Jax trading up from 33)... but, eh, that is not very likely.

Maybe it's Tavon Austin (and Minnesota trading up from 23); if Auistin is there, then that is extremely likely. But, he won't be there.

Maybe it's Warper Coomack or DJ Fluker (and Chicago trading up from 20, in front of Dallas); if one of them is there, then that is a possibility.

Also... maybe... could Colbert be saying that if one of those difference makers drops far enough (e.g. Dee Milliner dropping to 13)... might the Steelers not trade UP??? If Colbert trult thinks that the "difference makers" will be gone by 17, then if one of those few prospects is within reach, I would not be surprised at all if he traded up from 17 (in order to get one of those eight "difference makers").
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Adam Schefter was saying that many, many teams want to trade down. (Phily, Cleveland, Buffalo, NYJets, ...)

In turn, in my mind, this draft is now a BUYER'S MARKET. Since the market is flooded with so teams wanting to trade down, anyone who wants to trade up, can take the best offer (i.e. the offer that requires them to give up the LEAST amount of picks).

For example (using the Steelers as the "buyer"):

Using a logical range (picks 8 & 9), lets assume that Buffalo wants Pittsburgh's R1, R2, & R3 picks (that's the suggested value). BUT, one pick later, the NYJets are only asking for Pittsburgh's R1, R2, & R4 pick. Then, Pittsburgh goes back to Buffalo, who counters by only asking Pittsburgh's R1, R3, & R4pick.

That's still TOO MUCH (in my opinion), but it is interesting.

Now, if Dee Milliner is indeed still on the board at 13, it should cost Pittsburgh it's R3 pick. BUT, if the Steelers can pit the NYJets against Carolina, maybe it might only cost Pittsburgh it's R4 pick.

If what Colbert says is true (there's only 8-9 "difference makers" in this draft), then pitting teams against each other, in order to trade up, makes some sense.

Lastly, Buffalo desperately wants out of 8, in order to draft Nassib (for more value later). If Buffalo would take a R3 pick, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. Because, at 8, the Steelers are guaranteed one of those 8-9 "difference makers." (My guesses: Fisher, Joeckel, Jordan, Floyd, Lotulelei, Milliner, Austin, Vaccaro).
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,653 Times in 936 Posts

Not that I've ever indicated that this kid would be a good pick, but if we are going to trade up, maybe we should land Cooper?

Actually, I'm not so sure we will trade up. From the presser this week, Colbert stated they are content to let the draft come to them. Of course, we are assuming trading up in round one, but there could be a lot of moves RD2 and lower.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,133 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Not that I've ever indicated that this kid would be a good pick, but if we are going to trade up, maybe we should land Cooper?

Actually, I'm not so sure we will trade up. From the presser this week, Colbert stated they are content to let the draft come to them. Of course, we are assuming trading up in round one, but there could be a lot of moves RD2 and lower.
Trade up my friend, trade up if the price is right!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

If what Colbert is saying is true, then he very well might trade up. Is Cooper one of his six-to-eight "difference makers"?... maybe.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-call-special/

BUT, with that said...
I am not so sure that I would trade up for Cooper/Warmack or for Vaccaro, because there are a lot of really, really good OGs and Ss in this draft. At OG, Warford & Winetrs in R2 are going to be great, and at S, Swearinger & both Thomases, in R2,are extremely good players... as well as Elam in late R1 (who is obviously a stud).

But, if Milliner were to drop... because, after him, there is a serious drop-off in CB talent. I like Trufant, but Milliner is on a totally different level.

The best options appear to be:

a) trade up for one of the 6-8 "difference makers"

b) trade back, and acquire an extra pick (in a very deep draft)

SUMMATION: Staying put seems to hold the least value.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,682 Times in 620 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
You mean we whiffed on draft picks as far back as 83. It had to be Tomlins or Bens fault then.
Everything's Ben's fault. Real estate collapse? Ben's fault. National debt out of control? Ben's fault. Japan earthquake/tsunami? Ben's fault. Ben's fault. Penn State/Jerry Sandusky scandal? Ben's fault. Hurricane Sandy? Ben's fault. Newtown massacre? Ben's fault. Boston Marathon bombing? Ben's fault. Broken nail? Ben's fault. Broken heart? Ben's fault.
Gnutella is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Everything's Ben's fault. Real estate collapse? Ben's fault. National debt out of control? Ben's fault. Japan earthquake/tsunami? Ben's fault. Ben's fault. Penn State/Jerry Sandusky scandal? Ben's fault. Hurricane Sandy? Ben's fault. Newtown massacre? Ben's fault. Boston Marathon bombing? Ben's fault. Broken nail? Ben's fault. Broken heart? Ben's fault.
Come on, man... Tomlin deserves at least half of the blame.