Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Ben is "stable", so what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen2WardPITT
and i do thank god but from a sports perspective now you got to think about how long he will be out. The first thing i said when i heard was "oh no our season", im not going to lie, but thats becase my friend kinda joked about it when he told me. Then i read that he was stable, and that made me feel better, and he was talking, etc. So then i am at the stage of whats next?

good luck ben in the hospital of course though!

I think he'll miss at least a month They're gonna just let him recover and get back to normal first. Then get him back into the normal grove.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
Santonio4
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2307

ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed a report that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost teeth and has knee injuries from hitting the pavement. A plastic surgeon has been called in.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786
I think he'll miss at least a month They're gonna just let him recover and get back to normal first. Then get him back into the normal grove.

one can hope
Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #14
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Here's my 2 cents :

First off, I'm glad that Ben is OK; we all know this could have been alot worse. But I think we should all agree that we're both Ben Roethlisberger fans and Steeler fans. For the BR Fan in us, we all pray for his recovery, but the Steeler fan in us is allowed to wonder about the future without being berated. Just because we look into the future doesn't mean we don't care about Ben. It means we're fans of the man AND the organization, and we want both to do well.

Second, on the helmet issue. I have 4 uncles and a brother who ride motorcycles without helmets. From what i've heard, if you crash going over 50 mph, the only thing a helmet is gonna do is make sure the police know where your head is. Am I a fan of the whole No Helmet thing? I'm indifferent. Am I gonna berate Ben for not being a role-model and not protecting himself? No, It's his choice. Just because I may have bought his jersey doesn't mean i bought the right to tell him how to live.

Third, I am confident in Charlie and Omar in this season. I know Charlie can keep us at least .500 this season, and who knows Omar's potential? I'm not worried we'll lose without Ben, but I sure as hell want him back here ASAP.

Fourth, (and probably the one which'll either make you laugh or hate me)*, Ben surely thought of his football career during the crash. I mean, If i told you a story about a football player who broke a fall with his face as opposed to his knees, which team do you think that player would be on? The Pittsburgh Steelers, all the way. I mean, I for one hope Ben DOESN'T get dentures. Could you imagine? he'll look more scary then Jack Lambert! Talk about intimidation. And could you imagine the marketing? Sure, Tom Brady may be cute, but whenever you have a QB with no teeth and a jaw swollen larger than Cowher's... I mean, That's something to market!

*The last paragraph was simply typed in a joking manner. Take it with a lump of salt, or whatever the saying is. You can hate me for it or not. I don't care
Old 06-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #15
SteelersGirlTN7
Starter

Member Number: 71

according to the EspNews ... all the surgery was done above the neck ... and the knee injuries were minor ...

let's just all thank god that ben made it through this alive! We can worry about the rest later .. it could have been SO much worse!

Get well soon Ben!

Last edited by SteelersGirlTN7; 06-12-2006 at 09:47 PM.
SteelersGirlTN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: Ben is "stable", so what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271
Here's my 2 cents :

First off, I'm glad that Ben is OK; we all know this could have been alot worse. But I think we should all agree that we're both Ben Roethlisberger fans and Steeler fans. For the BR Fan in us, we all pray for his recovery, but the Steeler fan in us is allowed to wonder about the future without being berated. Just because we look into the future doesn't mean we don't care about Ben. It means we're fans of the man AND the organization, and we want both to do well.

Second, on the helmet issue. I have 4 uncles and a brother who ride motorcycles without helmets. From what i've heard, if you crash going over 50 mph, the only thing a helmet is gonna do is make sure the police know where your head is. Am I a fan of the whole No Helmet thing? I'm indifferent. Am I gonna berate Ben for not being a role-model and not protecting himself? No, It's his choice. Just because I may have bought his jersey doesn't mean i bought the right to tell him how to live.

Third, I am confident in Charlie and Omar in this season. I know Charlie can keep us at least .500 this season, and who knows Omar's potential? I'm not worried we'll lose without Ben, but I sure as hell want him back here ASAP.

Fourth, (and probably the one which'll either make you laugh or hate me)*, Ben surely thought of his football career during the crash. I mean, If i told you a story about a football player who broke a fall with his face as opposed to his knees, which team do you think that player would be on? The Pittsburgh Steelers, all the way. I mean, I for one hope Ben DOESN'T get dentures. Could you imagine? he'll look more scary then Jack Lambert! Talk about intimidation. And could you imagine the marketing? Sure, Tom Brady may be cute, but whenever you have a QB with no teeth and a jaw swollen larger than Cowher's... I mean, That's something to market!

*The last paragraph was simply typed in a joking manner. Take it with a lump of salt, or whatever the saying is. You can hate me for it or not. I don't care

TasTroy,

I parallel most of your views, good on ya for speaking your mind! Reps to ya on that!
The helmet issue...we differ slightly, not a lot, but slightly. I used to ride, will again in the near future...but I always wore a helmet. The 50mph thing, that all depends on the type of fall/impact. I fell a few times (dirt-biking back then) and I believe the helmet made a difference. Heck, a person can fall from a standing position and die or suffer some form of permanent damage if the strike is right. Although not from Pittsburgh and not familiar with that intersection, I cannot see a 50mph collision from the description in the various articles. I DO believe that a majority of his injuries could have been negated with the use of a helmet.

I do agree that his wearing the helmet is, in fact, a personal choice. But I also know that he is the role model for a lot of our younger people. And I also believe that his health is a concern of the organization. There is a reason that a number of teams have health concerns written into player's contracts for this very reason. They have invested a large amount of money in a player and expect a "reasonable" guarantee on some type of return in the manner of a player being healthy enough to play. Signing bonuses and other guaranteed pays are lost if the player cannot play at all.

So, in essence, sure there is personal choice. But, like in the military, you are not forced to "sign on the dotted line" and to some degree give up some, but not all, of your choices or personal rights. Hell, in the military, we are considered "Government Property" and are held accountable, to a degree, for our health and well-being.

It's a double-edged sword.............
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote