Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #101
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,684 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default Re: NBA center Jason Collins just came out

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
You really expose yourself to be a bigot when you make stereotypical comments about people different from you.

Some gay men molest small boys too but I don't think that all gay men are pedophiles.

It must suck to be just like the people you accuse. Your agenda has nothing to do with equal rights, it's simply a pro-gay agenda. That's fine. I'm a Christian. Are you a homosexual? If you are, that's cool. Just because I don't agree with your lifestyle doesn't mean I can't show respect to you.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

I'm straight but my brother is gay.

When you eat shrimp you ignore the bible. When you don't kill a woman for not being a virgin on her wedding night you ignore the bible. When you then cherry pick a verse on gays you do it for some other reason than devotion to that damn book because devotion would have you following it all. What's that other reason?

All generalizations are dangerous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (05-02-2013), The_Joker (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #102
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Religion is an insult to human dignity.
You continue to demonstrate the only point that I make about this topic. You find it so easy to insult others who are different than you but decry those who do the same towards gay people. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
cubanstogie (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #103
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,678 Times in 2,005 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Did you take a risk doing that? Is there some iron age book giving bad people the justification to vilify you for anything in your announcement? The very real problems gay people have to this day because of the attitudes of others is not funny.
Just like being an African-American, being gay shouldn't be something that a person needs to announce. I believe people should be able to make their own decisions as far as sexuality goes, and nowhere in the bible does it command that you play god and judge other people.

My announcement that i'm a heterosexual SHOULD be as relevant as the announcement that Jason Collins made, right?

I'm just tired of this debate, in all honesty, and as a christian, i'm tired of people constantly being judgmental. It isn't our jobs to play god.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #104
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
You continue to demonstrate the only point that I make about this topic. You find it so easy to insult others who are different than you but decry those who do the same towards gay people. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.
No, I'm pointing out why I have a problem with what people do in the name of religion. I don't care who you genuflect to in your home be it jesus, joseph smith or athena. But you won't keep it there. you want society as a whole to comport to your beliefs like yours are more valid than a belief in Poseidon.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #105
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Just like being an African-American, being gay shouldn't be something that a person needs to announce. I believe people should be able to make their own decisions as far as sexuality goes, and nowhere in the bible does it command that you play god and judge other people.

My announcement that i'm a heterosexual SHOULD be as relevant as the announcement that Jason Collins made, right?

I'm just tired of this debate, in all honesty, and as a christian, i'm tired of people constantly being judgmental. It isn't our jobs to play god.
It shouldn't be but it is until a player on the Steelers can bring his boyfriend to a team event without raising an eyebrow. We aren't there yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #106
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
No, I'm pointing out why I have a problem with what people do in the name of religion. I don't care who you genuflect to in your home be it jesus, joseph smith or athena. But you won't keep it there. you want society as a whole to comport to your beliefs like yours are more valid than a belief in Poseidon.
Well I disagree with the same things you listed. There are fringe lunatics in every lifestyle and we shouldn't group everyone together based on the actions of a few.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #107
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
It shouldn't be but it is until a player on the Steelers can bring his boyfriend to a team event without raising an eyebrow. We aren't there yet.
I'm not invited to those parties, but as for me, everyone is welcome in Steeler Nation - both gay and straight. The black and gold is stronger than any differences we may have.
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #108
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

@ complaints about PC culture, "this doesn't offend anyone", I don't force my "agenda", etc.

It's easy to say these things when you're a heterosexual white male. We were born into the largest and most accepted percentile. Now, I'm not saying that we should all feel some form of guilt for that. But it's impossible from where we are to know the struggle of those fighting for their rights and to be accepted. Why is gay athletes coming out a big issue in the media? Because they're allowed to be themselves. Because they're taking steps towards it becoming a non-issue in the future. Right now the culture of professional sports is, unfortunately, saddled with Chris Culliver's and Mike Wallace's. And as long as that intolerance exists, fear will remain.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #109
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,065 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
There goes your bigotry again.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #110
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,065 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

This whole thing should be a non-story.

If Holmes came out as fruity, would anyone wanna send Lombardi 6 back? I don't think so. Who should care?