Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #81
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,157 Posts
Default Re: The DL dilemma

Great minds apparently, Hawaii.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (05-29-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #82
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

By no stretch of any imagination do I consider Heyward a disappointment to this point. The guy hasn't had much chance to play. I don't remember when A Smith started to become a name but I recall it being in his 4th season . It's pretty well known that it takes time o learn Lebeaus D. That's tough because we need them to pick it up sooner with our cap situation. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I think we are okay on the dline. I mean, we did just finish the year with the #1 D. Our biggest problem is lack of turnover creation. No matter how you cut it. Yes, there were some individual failings ie Woodley mainly but TO's or lack thereof killed us. IMO if we don't get better there, we will be in the same situation next year regardless of our dline if we keep who we have minus Hamp.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (06-13-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #83
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,033 Posts

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.14.13

TUESDAY, 14 MAY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Dsf: Last week I asked about Cam Heyward playing in a similar 3-4 at Ohio State, and you said that Heyward has not been playing b/c Keisel has been so good, but Gerry has commented that Heyward frequently looks lost and confused. Do you see that in Heyward as well?

Ed Bouchette: I've been told that Heyward is better than Ziggy Hood and will get a chance to unseat him this year.

dave: Do you know if Casey Hampton wants to keep playing? Would he be willing to come back as a backup?

Ed Bouchette: I believe Casey does want to keep playing, at least that is what he said at the end of the year (but then, so did Hines Ward at the end of 2011). I don't think the Steelers want him back.

Zack: If we don't play on resigning Ziggy, because he would be better in a 4-3 scheme, couldn't we look to trade him

Ed Bouchette: First, I don't know that they don't plan to re-sign him and, second, trades don't happen very often in this league, especially by the team you are talking about. I suppose they could trade him, but I don' t think they'd get a high pick for him.

JamesinNYC: Any chance they could flip Hood inside with McClendon moving to DE?

Ed Bouchette: I think Steve McLendon could do that, but I don't think they will at this stage of Ziggy's career.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-51413
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #84
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,214 Times in 656 Posts

End of dilemma or uncovering a bigger dilemma?

Play McClendon fulltime at NT, play Heyward a lot/fulltime at DE. Give them a chance to show their talent and value as starters.

As for Ziggy, show some big production or say bye-bye.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
Quackjack (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #85
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
This is the total non-special teams snaps breakdown of Steeler DL in 2012. If they don't resign Hamp and Keisel to band-aid for one more year, we'd better hope that we switch to more of a one-gap approach. We simply don't have young linemen to play LeBeau's style of 3-4 anymore, otherwise they'd have taken snaps from Keisel and Hampton this year, both of whom noticeably slipped.

Keisel - 939
Hood - 888
Hampton - 497
Heyward - 263
McClendon - 136
Woods - 36
Ta'amu - 0
Fangupo - 0
Letting Hampton go is a fantastic move. They should seriously reduce Kiesel's playing time in 2013

Quote:
We simply don't have young linemen to play LeBeau's style of 3-4 anymore
Hood, Heyward, Mclendon, Fangupo, Woods and Ta`amu aren't young? If Hood doesn't learn his gap assignments then he needs to be benched.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #86
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Steelers OTAs: Al Woods second team nose tackle

By Michael Uhlhorn on May 28 2013

Four-year pro Al Woods is getting consistent reps as the Steelers second-string nose tackle

Al Woods is still manning backup duties at nose tackle for Pittsburgh according to multiple reports coming out of the second session of OTA's.

This might come as a bit of a surprise to some who expected Hebron Fangupo or Alameda Ta'Amu to be the backup to new starter Steve McLendon, with Woods filling in as a backup DE, the role he played last season. This leaves Fangupo and Ta'Amu fighting not only each other, but Al Woods for a roster spot. Should be interesting to see how this plays out through training camp.

In other nose tackle news today, former-Steeler great Casey Hampton isn't looking to retire just yet, so you have to wonder if a June 1st reunion is in the works if the best backup the Steelers can muster is the very untested Al Woods. I support McLendon being the starter, but it would be nice to have some veteran depth behind him, and Casey Hampton could provide that once the Steelers have $5.5 million freed up on June 1 as the result of the Willie Colon release.

We should know soon if the Steelers are planning to bring Hampton back, and for whatever its worth, the Steelers tipped their hand with Max Starks by signing OT Guy Whimper, and they have yet to do anything in the way of bringing in a nose tackle from outside the organization.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...cond-string-nt
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #87
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,374 Times in 6,069 Posts

Interesting.

But, as I said in another thread, I still think that Ta'amu is the future starter at NT.

If not for a shoulder injury, he would have been a R2 pick. If not for drinking & driving, he likely would already have moved ahead of McClendon on the depth chart. A healthy (& sober) Ta'amu is one heck of a talented player.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
wootawnee (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #88
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,213 Times in 709 Posts

T,

We don't disagree much, but Ta'amu? Other than the tape of his highlights from college, and a few plays in training camp that I've seen, I don't see it yet. What I see is a very large person that plays small and isn't particularly quick, and or decisive.

Granted, some of that is expected of a rookie, but for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, he should at least be in the discussion for some snaps. Certainly at this point, with the media straining to come up with ANYTHING at all to write about, you would expect something in print about the guy. JMO my friend. Maybe you've seen something I've over looked. That is always a possibility...
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #89
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,062 Posts

super bowl tour coming to a town near you,
bring back ward and big snack
ebsteelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #90
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Interesting.

But, as I said in another thread, I still think that Ta'amu is the future starter at NT.

If not for a shoulder injury, he would have been a R2 pick. If not for drinking & driving, he likely would already have moved ahead of McClendon on the depth chart. A healthy (& sober) Ta'amu is one heck of a talented player.
Despite never playing NT, Al Woods overtakes Ta’amu on depth chart

May 29th, 2013

The Steelers used a fourth-round pick on Alameda Ta’amu a year ago, but it appears that the team is interested in another fourth-round pick to spell first-year starter Steve McLendon at nose tackle this year – Al Woods.

The Steelers moved Woods – a 2010 fourth-round pick of New Orleans out of LSU – from defensive end to nose tackle for the start of organized team activities last week, and has aligned 6-foot-4, 307-pounder with the second-team so far.

“I welcome it and am thankful that I am getting a shot to play all three,” said Woods, who was released three times in 14 months during his first year in the league.

Woods played in 10 games last year for the Steelers at defensive end, but got on the field for only 30 snaps while playing behind Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward.

The Steelers coaching staff approached Woods during the offseason about working him at a thin nose tackle position that featured McLendon as the starter along with Ta’amu and Loni Fangupo – who have seven career snaps between them. The Steelers decided not to re-sign veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton.

“I am working all three positions,” Woods said. “Coach wants me to work all three positions so that’s what I am doing. I am just trying to help the team out anyway I can.”

Woods is very athletic for his size but has to show that he can hold up to the constant double teams by centers and guards. Woods said quickly realized one big difference in playing nose compared to end.

“Your reaction has to be faster,” Woods said. “Things down there, especially with a good center like Pouncey, happen real quick so you have to be fast.”

Woods said he has yet to take many snaps in OTAs at defensive end which means that it is likely that the staff would love to have him as a swing nose/end during game days to be able to provide more flexibility with the game day roster.

“I am listening to my coaches and when I go home, I am staying in my book trying to stay a day ahead,” Woods said. “I am trying to get comfortable with it so I don’t have to think about it and I just react to it.”

And as Mike Tomlin always says … the more you can do.

Moving around

Steelers nose tackle/defensive end has been shipped all around the league since being a fourth-round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 2010.

April, 27, 2010 – New Orleans draft Al Woods in the fourth round
Sept. 4, 2010 – New Orleans release Woods
Sept. 8, 2010 – Steelers sign Woods to their practice squad
Nov. 3, 2010 – Tampa Bay signs Woods to its 53-man roster
Sept. 3, 2011 – Tampa Bay releases Woods
Sept. 4, 2011 – Seattle signs Woods to its 53-man roster
Nov. 8, 2011 – Seattle released Woods
Nov. 9, 2011 – Steelers sign Woods to their 53-man roster

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...UBzB3A.twitter