Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #41
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,073
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 855
Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,522 Posts
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.- thomas jefferson
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #42
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,037
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,572
Thanked 4,668 Times in 1,756 Posts
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Been through a few of those myself.

Then there was that time I had about 2500 lbs of tempered glass fall and trapped my foot and broke the ball off in the ankle socket. I worked at a window company and receiving forget to take the dollys off the glass cart (vertical A frame) and removed the straps holding the glass. The glass was double pane picture windows. I noticed the glass was starting to teeter and went to push it back up so we could restrap it and the cart took off and the harder I pushed the faster the cart went. Finally just tried jumping out of the way but wasn't quick enough.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #43
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,483
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 584
Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,289 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATS16N0 View Post
I've had good financial times and bad, and hold nothing against anyone who has fallen on hard times. I also believe in social safety nets.

However, what you think it simply disgusting, where law abiding, hard working tax payers need to pay for and sustain the scum of the earth perpetually, no matter how perpetually worthless they are as human beings.

I don't owe shit-bags their dinner, period, and I definitely don't owe them dinner for life.

Your opinions on this matter, and virtually all others, are so vile and backwards and irresponsible that I can only sum them up as some sort of psychological malfunction.
Now that you feel better describing why you are a superior human being and have insulted those of Lesser quality, please give me your brilliant system that will ensure that those who are truly in need can get help while being impossible to scam because drug testing isn't it. Drug testing has never saved money.

Everyone complaining about abuse of the system is just wasting time if they don't suggest the system that can't be abused. And all the welfare reform suggestions from the right lower benefits for those truly in need, be they men women or children.


As for my malfunction, I know it's severe. I keep going after those who use racial slurs thinking that people with a different skin tone are somehow less than they are and less deserving of the same rights. Or I go after those who use homophobic slurs for the same reasons, or those who actually want the laws to confirm those different rights. Oh, and I don't respect any defense of Hitler. Finally, I don't enjoy or join in with the crowd that belittles the poor with anecdotes of welfare queens who get rich off govt benefits because the actual benefits available don't allow the smallest luxuries. That's simply a fact anyone can find.

But yes, someone can lie and say gramma is still alive and collect that check for years, stealing that taxpayer money. So hire more people to check every recipient monthly at a far greater cost. The unbeatable system is too expensive. While having No system would ruin the standard of living for everyone. Just try for the best, affordable, imperfect system and without the classist vitriol.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.

Last edited by Vis; 07-03-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #44
JonM229
Team Owner
 
JonM229's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 2,942
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24803
Thanks: 7,203
Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,221 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

The Florida law has already been struck down by two courts for violating the 5th Amendment in regards to unreasonable search and seizure. Private companies aren't bound by the Constitution and may drug test however they please.

The system isn't perfect, but without an alternative to letting people starve, I'll take it.
__________________

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Vis (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #45
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,372
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,625
Thanked 18,679 Times in 7,884 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Vis,

I disagree with the notion that unless one knows a solution to the problem, that one doesn't have the right to question and/or complain about said problem.

That would like saying that just because I don't know how to make chicken molé, I can't tell if it's made incorrectly. I might not have the knowledge nor the culinary skills necessary to make molé... but, I can tell if it tastes like crud.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #46
JonM229
Team Owner
 
JonM229's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 2,942
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24803
Thanks: 7,203
Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,221 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Vis,

I disagree with the notion that unless one knows a solution to the problem, that one doesn't have the right to question and/or complain about said problem.
But without an alternative, questioning and complaining is all you'll be able to.
__________________

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #47
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,372
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,625
Thanked 18,679 Times in 7,884 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
But without an alternative, questioning and complaining is all you'll be able to.
Isn't that what's happening in most of these threads?
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #48
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Here's a real working solution (some states do this, some do not)... In terms of cash assistance and food stamps, mandatory job training (for those who aren't physically or mentally disabled and unable to do so obviously). I know PA does this now (not sure if they did 10 years ago, because I was working when I was on food stamps, but I know they do now). How does that help with drug testing? Well, the companies that you try to get a job with will drug test you to hire you, and if you fail you don't get hired. If you don't get a job because of it, you don't get assistance. There, now we've moved the cost of drug testing over to the private sector. Will people still slip through the cracks? Yes, because there will still be people who already have jobs that don't require testing...but it'll reduce the amount of people on assistance wasting their money on drugs.


As for the notion of drug users doing something desperate if they don't get assistance, let's recognize that what they are doing to themselves is their choice. If they can't control themselves enough to better themselves, or not live a life of crime if they don't get assistance, then yes, I'd rather pay for their jail cell. Paying for their assistance in these scenarios only enables them. There needs to eventually be consequences, and they need to be accountable for their own actions.

I'm as pro decriminalization as they come, but I'm not going to sit back and think it's ok to enable the people who can't show any kind of self restraint or self reliance.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (07-03-2013), Vis (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #49
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,256
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,940
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,817 Posts
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATS16N0 View Post
Your opinions on this matter, and virtually all others, are so vile and backwards and irresponsible that I can only sum them up as some sort of psychological malfunction.
This from someone who was defending Nazi Germany several days ago
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
teegre (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #50
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,483
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 584
Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,289 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Here's a real working solution (some states do this, some do not)... In terms of cash assistance and food stamps, mandatory job training (for those who aren't physically or mentally disabled and unable to do so obviously). I know PA does this now (not sure if they did 10 years ago, because I was working when I was on food stamps, but I know they do now). How does that help with drug testing? Well, the companies that you try to get a job with will drug test you to hire you, and if you fail you don't get hired. If you don't get a job because of it, you don't get assistance. There, now we've moved the cost of drug testing over to the private sector. Will people still slip through the cracks? Yes, because there will still be people who already have jobs that don't require testing...but it'll reduce the amount of people on assistance wasting their money on drugs.


As for the notion of drug users doing something desperate if they don't get assistance, let's recognize that what they are doing to themselves is their choice. If they can't control themselves enough to better themselves, or not live a life of crime if they don't get assistance, then yes, I'd rather pay for their jail cell then their food. Paying for their food only enables them. There needs to eventually be consequences, and they need to be accountable for their own actions.

I'm as pro decriminalization as they come, but I'm not going to sit back and think it's ok to support the people who can't show any kind of self restraint or self reliance.
Let me ask you this. If you had nothing of value and no prospects, you would never be able to go out for that lobster dinner or whatever, wouldn't you grow some pot and smoke it just for some pleasure in life? I would. I don't begrudge the poor a buzz. The idea you have isn't bad so cut off the check as you say but I think it's still cheaper for society to go that next step and help someone get clean and employed if they want it.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts