Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #51
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,078 Times in 2,375 Posts
Default Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
The Florida law has already been struck down by two courts for violating the 5th Amendment in regards to unreasonable search and seizure. .
Link to the 11th Circuit decision here

The question is not whether drug use is detrimental to the goals of the TANF program, which it might be. Instead, the only pertinent inquiry is whether there is a substantial special need for mandatory, suspicionless drug testing of TANF recipients when there is no immediate or direct threat to public safety, when those being searched are not directly involved in the frontlines of drug interdiction, when there is no public school setting where the government has a responsibility for the care and tutelage of its young students, or when there are no dire consequences or grave risk of imminent physical harm as a result of waiting to obtain a warrant if a TANF recipient, or anyone else for that matter, is suspected of violating the law. We conclude that, on this record, the answer to that question of whether there is a substantial special need for mandatory suspicionless drug testing is “no.”

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/201115258.pdf
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Let me ask you this. If you had nothing of value and no prospects, you would never be able to go out for that lobster dinner or whatever, wouldn't you grow some pot and smoke it just for some pleasure in life? I would. I don't begrudge the poor a buzz. The idea you have isn't bad so cut off the check as you say but I think it's still cheaper for society to go that next step and help someone get clean and employed if they want it.
Of course we should help people get clean and employed. I never stated we shouldn't. But if it's going to come down to your job or your drug habit, and you choose your drug habit, then you don't deserve the assistance, and need to go on to the next step of either going to rehab or sucking it up and learning how to be self-reliant. If that means turning to a life of crime, then have fun in jail. I just don't want to pay for someone while they can't even take simple steps to better themselves.

I'm not advocating throwing drug users in jail simply because they are drug users...I'm a supporter of across the board decriminalization. I'm advocating accountability.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (07-03-2013), JonM229 (07-03-2013), Vis (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #53
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Of course we should help people get clean and employed. I never stated we shouldn't. But if it's going to come down to your job or your drug habit, and you choose your drug habit, then you don't deserve the assistance, and need to go on to the next step of either going to rehab or sucking it up and learning how to be self-reliant. If that means turning to a life of crime, then have fun in jail. I just don't want to pay for someone while they can't even take simple steps to better themselves.
But you then have to take the kids. That's pricey. Jail is expensive, and they do get food there. Some of these people aren't all there mentally, some are damaged from war, some from bad chemicals and bad choices. The system doesn't weed out the cause of the particular problem very well since that costs money and there isn't the public will to pay for lifetime treatment for the mentally incapacitated. Whatever the system, it has costs. The kind of filtering needed to know for sure who the ones are who deserve to be pitied vs the ones who deserve to be flushed costs more than is available. But I'm for little tweaks here and there like you suggested. It the "easy answer" people I have a problem with. All the problems with easy answers were solved last week.

“The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it”
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #54
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
But you then have to take the kids. That's pricey. Jail is expensive, and they do get food there. Some of these people aren't all there mentally, some are damaged from war, some from bad chemicals and bad choices. The system doesn't weed out the cause of the particular problem very well since that costs money and there isn't the public will to pay for lifetime treatment for the mentally incapacitated. Whatever the system, it has costs. The kind of filtering needed to know for sure who the ones who deserve to be pitied vs the ones who deserve to be flushed costs more than is available. But I'm for little tweaks here and there like you suggested. It the "easy answer" people I have a problem with. All the problems with easy answers were solved last week.
Well that goes into a whole myriad of other problems. I'll take it point by point.

If someone has that kind of drug habit, chances are the kids are going to be taken away anyhow. No cost difference. Plus, I don't mind my taxes going to something good like helping out kids who've done nothing wrong. They'll have a better chance of becoming contributing members of society this way.

For the people who aren't there mentally, as I said, for those that are too mentally or physically disabled to find work, there are a number of programs to help them. Those programs as it stands need tweeking, especially our mental health facilities. I'm fine with taxes going to help those as well. If they are truly mentally ill, they shouldn't be in a welfare office to begin with. They should be handled through a different medium. That's a whole other system though that needs dealt with.

As for having the money to pay for stuff like this...we have the money, it's just being wasted on needless government programs, and there are too many of those to list here. Cutting down on military spending and ending the war on drugs could probably by themselves pay for making the welfare system more functional.

These ARE easy solutions, but we are talking about the gov't here, so common sense isn't exactly at the forefront.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #55
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Well that goes into a whole myriad of other problems. I'll take it point by point.

If someone has that kind of drug habit, chances are the kids are going to be taken away anyhow. No cost difference. Plus, I don't mind my taxes going to something good like helping out kids who've done nothing wrong. They'll have a better chance of becoming contributing members of society this way.

For the people who aren't there mentally, as I said, for those that are too mentally or physically disabled to find work, there are a number of programs to help them. Those programs as it stands need tweeking, especially our mental health facilities. I'm fine with taxes going to help those as well. If they are truly mentally ill, they shouldn't be in a welfare office to begin with. They should be handled through a different medium. That's a whole other system though that needs dealt with.

As for having the money to pay for stuff like this...we have the money, it's just being wasted on needless government programs, and there are too many of those to list here. Cutting down on military spending and ending the war on drugs could probably by themselves pay for making the welfare system more functional.

These ARE easy solutions, but we are talking about the gov't here, so common sense isn't exactly at the forefront.

In your response you were fine with your tax money going for things which I agree with but will not pass a budget fight.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #56
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
In your response you were fine with your tax money going for things which I agree with but will not pass a budget fight.
That's why I should just be supreme leader. Congress is too fucked to be effective anymore.

See? Easy.

Seriously though, I know they wouldn't pass the budget fight...but the solutions are right there in the gov'ts face, and they're solutions that will work for everyone (except the junkies who would rather commit crime than find work, obviously).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (07-03-2013), JonM229 (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #57
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
That's why I should just be supreme leader. Congress is too fucked to be effective anymore.

See? Easy.

Seriously though, I know they wouldn't pass the budget fight...but the solutions are right there in the gov'ts face, and they're solutions that will work for everyone (except the junkies who would rather commit crime than find work, obviously).
I'll work on your campaign.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (07-03-2013), SteelCityMom (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #58
JonM229
Team President

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,724 Posts

Mom for President-For-Life

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (07-03-2013), SteelCityMom (07-03-2013)