Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,101 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default Ex-Penn State president Graham Spanier files libel suit

Ex-Penn State president Graham Spanier files libel suit
Facebook Share

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- Penn State's former president Graham Spanier initiated a libel and defamation case Thursday against Louis Freeh, the former FBI director who a year ago produced a report for the school that was highly critical of Spanier's role in the child sex abuse scandal involving longtime assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
Paperwork filed in Centre County, where the school is located, disclosed little about the nature of his claims but checked off a box on a court system form that described the case as "slander/libel/defamation.''

The filing was made one day before the one-year anniversary of Freeh's report, which concluded that Spanier, late coach Joe Paterno and other high-ranking Penn State administrators failed to protect children against Sandusky. Under Pennsylvania law, those who believe they have been libeled or defamed have a year to initiate a civil lawsuit.

Calls and emails seeking comment from Freeh and from Spanier lawyer Elizabeth Ainslie were not returned. Along with Freeh, the paperwork also names as a defendant the law firm where Freeh works.

The Freeh report said Spanier told Freeh's investigators that he never heard anyone say Sandusky was sexually abusing children. But Freeh wrote it was more reasonable to conclude that Spanier, Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz "repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky's child abuse from the authorities, the university's board of trustees, the Penn State community and the public at large.''

Curley, who was placed on leave to serve out his contract, and Schultz, now retired, were both charged in November 2011, when Sandusky was arrested, and accused of perjury and failure to properly report suspected abuse.

Spanier was forced out as president at that time, and a year later was himself charged as part of an alleged cover-up of complaints about Sandusky. A school spokesman said Thursday Spanier remains a faculty member on administrative leave.

Paterno died of complications from lung cancer in January 2012 and was not charged with any crime. The Freeh report's scathing conclusions about the former coach was followed more than a week later by the school administration's decision to remove his statue from outside the football stadium.

Additional charges were also filed against Curley and Schultz last November, but there has not been a preliminary hearing yet because of a legal dispute about the role played in the grand jury proceedings by Cynthia Baldwin, a former state Supreme Court justice who at the time was Penn State's top lawyer.

On Tuesday, a district judge in the Harrisburg suburbs announced the preliminary hearing would be held for Spanier, Schultz and Curley starting July 29 in the county courthouse. The hearing will determine if there are grounds to forward the case to county court for trial. All three men have vigorously denied the allegations against them.
Sandusky, 69, was convicted of 45 counts of child sexual abuse, including violent attacks on boys inside school facilities, after a three-week trial last summer in which eight victims testified against him. He is serving a 30- to 60-year prison term and maintains he was wrongfully convicted. He is pursuing appeals.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2YpX5Emzj

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: Ex-Penn State president Graham Spanier files libel suit

People say suits are frivolous often when they are not. But this one gets close.

As a public figure Spanier prove that the Freeh acted with actual malice, i.e., knowing that the statements were false or recklessly disregarding their falsity.

Freeh will also have the fair report privilege on his side and the substantial truth defense. This means every allegation in the report gets to be investigated again and aired. Should be entertaining. I hope they save the good stuff for the next offseason.

I can't see this getting past summary judgement if it goes that far.

Last edited by Vis; 07-12-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,776 Times in 2,670 Posts

As the late, great Hunter S. Thompson said in describing the prospects of Ed Muskie challenging Richard Nixon in 1972, a clown like Spanier going after Louis Freeh is "like sending a three toed sloth out to seize turf from a wolverine."
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,119 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Isn't losing a libel suit how Oscar Wilde ended up in jail?

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,725 Times in 7,495 Posts
My Mood: Dead

So... this is a matter of Freeh speech.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
Isn't losing a libel suit how Oscar Wilde ended up in jail?
Yes. Bad move but stupid law robbed world of a great man.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,119 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Yes. Bad move but stupid law robbed world of a great man.
Depends on who you ask around here

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote