Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 06-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default End brings speed and plenty of it.....

At one point in his life, Lee Vickers thought his ticket to the pros was his right arm. But the Pittsburgh Steelers have other ideas for the undrafted free agent prospect from the University of North Alabama.

The 6-6 Vickers was a 185-pound high school pitcher/quarterback with a golden arm, one that earned him a spot in professional baseball for a cup of coffee.

But like many others before him, Vickers found professional baseball a fickle game, one that casts pitchers away when they begin to have arm problems like Vickers did.

?I started having arm troubles,? said Vickers. ?At that point, I was also starting to miss playing football, so I walked on at North Alabama.?

Vickers first tried to play quarterback, his first love in high school. But when he didn?t win the starting job, he went looking for another position.

Vickers also played cornerback in high school ? imagine a 6-6 corner ? but he knew that wasn?t in the cards. Instead, he moved up to the front seven, splitting time at linebacker and defensive end.

?At that point, I was playing defensive end and linebacker at like 220 pounds,? Vickers said. ?I wasn?t the biggest defensive end, but I could get by on my speed.?

Did we mention that Vickers is faster than many NFL safeties?

At his pre-draft workout in Orlando, according to several sources, the New York Giants timed Vickers at 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard dash. And that was at his current weight of 280 pounds, not the slimmer version of previous years.

?There aren?t many people as big as Lee is who can run 4.5 forty?s,? North Alabama coach Mark Hudspeth told the News Courier in Athens, Alabama. ?That?s what they look for in the NFL.?

?If you are a large guy, with a lot of athletic ability, they are going to find you and mold you into a football player.?

NFL teams certainly took notice.

?Some teams looked at me as a tight end, others looked at me as a linebacker,? said Vickers. ?The Steelers actually talked to me about playing both. But we settled on defensive end. I think when they looked at the success that guys like Brett Keisel, big guys who can run, have had, they saw some of that in me. At least I hope they do.

?I?d love to be able to fill that same role that Keisel did early in his career on special teams.?

Several other teams, including Jaguars, wanted Vickers after the draft. But he saw an opportunity in Pittsburgh that he didn?t elsewhere. Jacksonville wanted him as a tight end.

?This just seemed like the best opportunity for me,? Vickers said. ?And to get to come to a team that?s the defending Super Bowl champions with the guys they have in this locker room, it?s truly special.?

By: Dale Lolley
Courtesy of the Observer-Reporter
Date: Jun 18, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: End brings speed and plenty of it.....

This guy is a specimen, that's for sure. It'll be interesting to see how he turns out.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
steelcity984
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2312

Sounds good. The experts may not neccessarily be picking the Steelers to repeat, but all the undrafteds sure seem more than happy to go there.
steelcity984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

When we first signed this guy and I read things about him I thought he has some potential. One thing you can't teach is speed. Speed isn't everything for a football player but if this guy can learn what it takes to play DE in the NFL. The Steelers might have something here. Keisel was a 7th round pick. Now he is a starter. If I'm not mistaken wasn't fore Steelers DE Ray Seals an undrafted free agent also? Seals was a very good player for us. He didn't do anything when he left us.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
nwksteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2304

The Steelers are famous for finding guys that nobody has on their radar and helping those guys become superstars. I just hope the kid has the work ethic to go with his athleticism and if he does he will prove to be an excellent find.
nwksteeler is offline   Reply With Quote