Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Steelers take good with bad in preseason loss to Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
My only analysis of this game is that if Brown toe taps and makes that TD catch, we are all probably singing a much different tune. That's why preseason is so important. By Tennessee I think Brown gets his feet down. The only thing that really bothers me is our lack of pressure on the QB. Jones and Worilds played the 1st half and not much pressure there. I know Worilds had a sack but I was pretty disappointed in that. I thought the defenses were supposed too be ahead of the offense? I don't know if they did but I would have loved to see DL let Jones go pure-pass rusher for a few plays. Maybe he did but I didn't see any results. Either way, its the 1st game and I'm pumped football is back!!!!!! Go Steelers!
I did notice Jarvis did drop back quite a bit. For the first preseason game, I would have to say that I liked what I saw. I would like to see him rush the QB a bit more in game #2.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #32
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,920 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkissle29 View Post
I did notice Jarvis did drop back quite a bit. For the first preseason game, I would have to say that I liked what I saw. I would like to see him rush the QB a bit more in game #2.
In all fairness, he was getting double teamed on his third snap until the game was over.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,004 Times in 3,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
There were a few plays where I was kind of shocked to see Ben NOT audible out to the stand-up play (which he loves.) Giants corners were playing off all night, especially in short yardage situations.
The coaches might have just wanted to run certain plays at that down and distance to see what works rather than have Ben freelance

Working off script is one explanation for why Stephens-Howling got so many carries

It might say something else that, after an offseason in which Mike Tomlin pretty much tormented his incumbent running backs in challenging them, seven of the 19 snaps taken by Ben Roethlisberger ended up in the hands of newcomer LaRod Stephens-Howling to the tune of 40 nifty yards.

Jonathan Dwyer?

Isaac Redman?

Who needs reps for those guys when the real plan for the first quarter had been to hand the ball to Le'Veon Bell, anyway?

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2bdCkEVrh

Best line on Stephen-Howling (#34) during the 1st quarter came came from Mark Kaboly at the Trib-Review

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Mendenhall looks good

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/...47042777333760
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-13-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #34
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

My thoughts after watching the game:

Smith is legit. He should get a lot of playing time. Wheaton is so quick! In fact, I am very excited about the WR depth and talent overall.

Woods should get PT over Ta'amu who seems like he needs to get his feet under him. He doesn't seem ready but he's massive and I did see him move the pile on a double team..so there's hope.

William Gay keeps proving he doesn't belong in the NFL and any time he is on the field I would expect other teams to spread us out and target him. He in my opinion is the one weak link on the D (assuming Troy stays healthy)

I was very impressed with the right side of the line and with Adams. Foster? Not so much. Anytime they ran left it got shut down Lots of pressure from that side as well. Runs to the right yielded great results. The line should be much improved. I am finally excited after all these years.

Ben looks in better shape. His passes were crisp. Gradkowski surprised me. He is a legit backup QB that can win games on our team if needed. Jones should remain as third string and hopefully can sit and learn. He has the arm talent and pedigree to be a good one. Hopefully he learns and works hard.

Jones has the makings of yet another great LB. I think he will see some time but it will be a year or two before he makes a major impact.

One name nobody has brought up but who I thought was great in coverage and seemed to belong out there was Robert Golden. I see we have him listed as a safety but I saw him opposite WR and he was covering like a corner. Does anyone have any more insight or information on him. He seemed fast with good coverage skills.

hey, it's only one preseason game and it means squat, but there is talent on this squad. Our division just might be the strongest in football. With a pretty favorable schedule who know?
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #35
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

My thoughts after watching most of the Steelers preseason game versus the New York Giants at Heinz Field (first half + 4th quarter):

1. I was not terribly impressed with the first team offense. In my eyes, Big Ben looked at little slow. Like he wasn't in "game form" or something. His release on a couple of short passes looked like it was close to sidearm. What gave?

The offensive line was average. They had some trouble pass blocking. The run blocking looked superior. I was surprised as to how much the Steelers ran the ball. I thought for sure Todd Haley would have called more pass plays.

Nice running by Stephens-Howling. Loved watching him dart around in open space. I'd like to see more of him and more of that kind of effort moving forward.

2. Back up QBs:

Gradkowski played well, I thought. He made some nice throws. He had a couple that got away. But what set him apart from the other guys, IMO, was he looked ready to play. He had that leader like swagger on the field.

Landry Jones looked like he was nervous. I didn't like what I saw from him. Same with JPW. The first series he played, he held onto the ball too long.

3. Penalties

What was Jason Worilds thinking by committing those stupid late hits? He had what, 2 or 3 against him? That's just a mental error. Tomlin made the right move by taking him out.

Not surprised to see holding calls against the offensive line. I hope we can keep those to a minimum this year. Or else it will be a long season. I believe one of them killed a drive, with the first team. In all seriousness, other teams can use that as an advantage. Get us to commit a hold and make it 2nd or 3rd and long. Then chances are the Steelers will have to kick the ball away.

I'm hoping this team can learn from the mistakes it made. Certainly at least it would be nice for the first team offense to play better the rest of the way. Next game isn't until Monday.

I'm not feeling confident, but I'm an optimistic fan. HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
My thoughts after watching the game:

Smith is legit. He should get a lot of playing time. Wheaton is so quick! In fact, I am very excited about the WR depth and talent overall.

Woods should get PT over Ta'amu who seems like he needs to get his feet under him. He doesn't seem ready but he's massive and I did see him move the pile on a double team..so there's hope.

William Gay keeps proving he doesn't belong in the NFL and any time he is on the field I would expect other teams to spread us out and target him. He in my opinion is the one weak link on the D (assuming Troy stays healthy)

I was very impressed with the right side of the line and with Adams. Foster? Not so much. Anytime they ran left it got shut down Lots of pressure from that side as well. Runs to the right yielded great results. The line should be much improved. I am finally excited after all these years.

Ben looks in better shape. His passes were crisp. Gradkowski surprised me. He is a legit backup QB that can win games on our team if needed. Jones should remain as third string and hopefully can sit and learn. He has the arm talent and pedigree to be a good one. Hopefully he learns and works hard.

Jones has the makings of yet another great LB. I think he will see some time but it will be a year or two before he makes a major impact.

One name nobody has brought up but who I thought was great in coverage and seemed to belong out there was Robert Golden. I see we have him listed as a safety but I saw him opposite WR and he was covering like a corner. Does anyone have any more insight or information on him. He seemed fast with good coverage skills.

hey, it's only one preseason game and it means squat, but there is talent on this squad. Our division just might be the strongest in football. With a pretty favorable schedule who know?
Golden looked real good! He dropped a pick 6 which is normal for our CB's so he right on track in that regard. I swear, if our CB's could catch, all of them would be pro bowlers.....well, except for Gay!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #37
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,668 Times in 868 Posts

Most of our backups on the O-line are going to suck.

There's very little to choose from there.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #38
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

Good was JJ playing. He is going to be a Mega Star. His motor does not stop moving. The surprising good for the night for me, Tomlin getting into Worilds face. I was so use to him padding people in the ass after tragic plays, it was nice to see Tomlin, Bill Cowher someone for once.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #39
Vincenzo
Water Boy

Member Number: 25090

In my opinion the positive aspects of the match against Giants are defence, once again, recievers (Sandars, Wheaton) and OL starters.
Sanders recieved the ball 3 times among the opponents, he can became an important weapon to move the chain, especially until Miller isn't totally recovered.
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote