Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: Kind of blah in here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
I know this is way out there, but I wouldn't have minded if the Steelers would have signed Jon Kitna, especially in light of Ben's accident and questionable return date. I think he is probably the best backup QB in the league right now and it would have been deja vu sticking it to the Bungles (sorry Brian) .

I also wouldn't have minded if they had signed David Givens. I think he would have complimented our receiving corps well. Just mho.
I agree with kitna even though he is getting a chance to start in detroit. David givins would have also been a very good pick up. But the titans over paid him back time.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

I think its interesting you consider Alexander a leader in the locker room. Thats not the conventional wisdom out here. I would say Hasselbeck is definately the biggest team leader and Tatupu is emerging as the D's leader. Mack Strong is a strong but quiet leader (no pun intended).

I think people see Alexander as a guy who is mostly looking out for himself. The previous year he was just a yard or two short of the NFL rushing title. Holmgren called a play that didn't go through Alexander for a redzone touchdown. This play one the game and secured a playoff spot. Alexander got pissed that he didn't get the call and the title and went on a tirade with the press, saying "I got stabbed in the back." Holmgren had no idea about the rushing title and wouldn't have cared anyway. All he cared about was that they won and made the playoffs.

To his credit, SA publicly ate some crow a few days later and apologized for his behavior. But there is a Me-First reputation that has kinda stuck with him in these parts.

This last season, he was a model citizen. Course he was on a one year contract. And they could have thrown for a lot more touchdowns or used Mack Strong, but Holmgren let SA go for the NFL touchdown record. Everyone was happy because we were winning.

SA is pretty involved in the community. He actually does ads for a local evangelical mega church and was part of a gigantic Easter service they put on in Qwest Field. But I would not say he has won the hearts and minds of local sports fans the way some other athletes (like Hasselbeck) have.

Regarding his play: He is a horse. He manages to avoid injuries pretty well. He does that by tending to run out of bounds when he might be able to get a few more yards. He is brilliant at timing his runs through holes ( but he had some pretty big holes last season) and he can break a good tackle. He is obviously pretty reliable in the redzone. He holds on to the ball.

He is not a good blocker. He pretty much chooses not to block. So a team would need a really good line and fullback to compliment him. Otherwise the QB would ring his neck after being sacked for the 12th time. He also does not work much on being a recieving option. These are both traits that keep him healthy as a runner. But we all kinda wonder how good he could be if he chose to widen his reportoire a bit and play the same type of role as say a Tiki Barber.

He fits our team like a glove and I would hate to see him go. But I don't know if he would have been nearly as successful on a team that did not have a line a strong as the Seahawks. Most teams need a running back who can block and recieve. Would have been interesting to see how he did on another team. But fortunately we don't have to find out.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
I think its interesting you consider Alexander a leader in the locker room. Thats not the conventional wisdom out here. I would say Hasselbeck is definately the biggest team leader and Tatupu is emerging as the D's leader. Mack Strong is a strong but quiet leader (no pun intended).

I think people see Alexander as a guy who is mostly looking out for himself. The previous year he was just a yard or two short of the NFL rushing title. Holmgren called a play that didn't go through Alexander for a redzone touchdown. This play one the game and secured a playoff spot. Alexander got pissed that he didn't get the call and the title and went on a tirade with the press, saying "I got stabbed in the back." Holmgren had no idea about the rushing title and wouldn't have cared anyway. All he cared about was that they won and made the playoffs.

To his credit, SA publicly ate some crow a few days later and apologized for his behavior. But there is a Me-First reputation that has kinda stuck with him in these parts.

This last season, he was a model citizen. Course he was on a one year contract. And they could have thrown for a lot more touchdowns or used Mack Strong, but Holmgren let SA go for the NFL touchdown record. Everyone was happy because we were winning.

SA is pretty involved in the community. He actually does ads for a local evangelical mega church and was part of a gigantic Easter service they put on in Qwest Field. But I would not say he has won the hearts and minds of local sports fans the way some other athletes (like Hasselbeck) have.

Regarding his play: He is a horse. He manages to avoid injuries pretty well. He does that by tending to run out of bounds when he might be able to get a few more yards. He is brilliant at timing his runs through holes ( but he had some pretty big holes last season) and he can break a good tackle. He is obviously pretty reliable in the redzone. He holds on to the ball.

He is not a good blocker. He pretty much chooses not to block. So a team would need a really good line and fullback to compliment him. Otherwise the QB would ring his neck after being sacked for the 12th time. He also does not work much on being a recieving option. These are both traits that keep him healthy as a runner. But we all kinda wonder how good he could be if he chose to widen his reportoire a bit and play the same type of role as say a Tiki Barber.

He fits our team like a glove and I would hate to see him go. But I don't know if he would have been nearly as successful on a team that did not have a line a strong as the Seahawks. Most teams need a running back who can block and recieve. Would have been interesting to see how he did on another team. But fortunately we don't have to find out.
I'm not one to stick up for athletes. but i have to here. I dont belame him for being pissed that he got pulled you are talking about an nfl record
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
I'm not one to stick up for athletes. but i have to here. I dont belame him for being pissed that he got pulled you are talking about an nfl record
EXACTLY
Old 06-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #15
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
I think he would have gotten a lot more sympathy if it had been a meaningless game. But the play was to make the playoffs. So people thought he should have just been happy to make the post season like all the fans were.

I believe the coaches when they said they weren't keeping track and jsut calling the best game plan they knew. And if they were aware, going to an option besides SA was probably the best choice since theor opponents may have assumed that he was getting the ball.

Anyway, his comments were said in a moment of passion. I think the Hawks regretted it and it harmed the free agency negotiations that off season. But I think they made up for it last year by somewhat artificially helping him break the single season touchdown record.

Below is a link to a newspaper story when said incident occured.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/footba...4_shaun03.html