Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Tomas Vokoun says he 'nearly died' after blood clots

Damn...I'd heard it was bad, but didn't think it was this bad. Best wishes to him, and hope he gets better soon.

Tomas Vokoun says he 'nearly died' after blood clots
By Brian Stubits | Hockey writer
September 27, 2013 12:27 pm ET

Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Tomas Vokoun is out of the hospital now and is on the mend, but his recent blood clot issue was an awfully dangerous situation. According to Vokoun, it was nearly fatal.

In an interview with Czech outlet iDNES.cz (and translated by Roman Jedlicka), Vokoun explained how it was almost so much worse.

"I was lucky I was sent to hospital so quickly. I nearly died during weekend," Vokoun said. "My foot was swollen, I had blood clots from mid-thigh almost to the heart. I was thinking about the end of my career. It would not be so difficult decision. Now I will do what doctors say. Health is clearly the main thing. I hope I have more than half of life ahead of me."

Egads, and yes, let's hope for just that. Thankfully they were able to notice the problem when they did and were able to get Vokoun to the hospital in time.

As of now, Vokoun's hockey future is certainly backseat to an issue like this and there's no telling when he'll be back on the ice, if he is at all. From the sounds of it, this latest issue has Vokoun at least contemplating all of his options. Vokoun has previously had issues with blood clots as well.

Vokoun was going to enter the season as sort of a 1A to starter Marc-Andre Fleury after a terrific postseaosn in relief of Fleury but now the Penguins have to plan accordingly for Vokoun to be out all season and if he's able to come back then it's all the better.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...er-blood-clots

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote