Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,416 Times in 513 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: The irony about building a complete football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
So true.
Which exacerbates their problem.

They are going to have tony Kaepernick... and as we all know, once you have to pay a franchise QB, you start to lose a few players here & there. And, without young, cheap replacements, they will either have to go with young, crappy replacements, or oveay for a free agent.

Ergo, if the 49ers are going to win a SuperBowl, their window will soon close.
Earlier today I heard Colin Cowherd say that the Bengals, 49ers and Seahawks have this year and next year to win a championship, because they all have a lot of young stars with cheap contracts, including franchise QBs, so something has to give by 2015: either they keep their QBs and suffer talent depletion at other positions, or they keep the team mostly intact but risk losing their QBs.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
teegre (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #32
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,416 Times in 513 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Haley View Post
Cap hell isn't going away unless you totally clean house - and not just trying to keep an old team together with chewing gum and bailing wire like we've been doing the last 3 years.
The Steelers aren't an old team anymore. Three of the four starters in the secondary are in their 30's; three of the the 18 starters on the rest of the team are in their 30's. Six of 22 starters in their 30's is not old. In fact, the average age of the starters on offense is just a hair over 25, which has to be among the youngest in the NFL.

Keep Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, and complement them with young, cheap talent.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #33
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,048 Times in 7,618 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Earlier today I heard Colin Cowherd say that the Bengals, 49ers and Seahawks have this year and next year to win a championship, because they all have a lot of young stars with cheap contracts, including franchise QBs, so something has to give by 2015: either they keep their QBs and suffer talent depletion at other positions, or they keep the team mostly intact but risk losing their QBs.
Spot on.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #34
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts

Quote:
The Steelers aren't an old team anymore. Three of the four starters in the secondary are in their 30's; three of the the 18 starters on the rest of the team are in their 30's.
Ed.B. of the P-G agrees the biggest rebuild next year is on the defense

You cited many of the ills of the team in today's article but which one stands out the most to you as being the most damaging and in need of the most work?

Ed Bouchette: The defense, if we are looking ahead to 2014. They have potential losses at safety and defensive line (either forced or free agent) and they have problems at linebacker.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201310290150

My guess is Clark, Keisel and Hood (who had few snaps Sunday) are gone in 2014, with Ike staying because he just restructured to buy some cap room. Troy will take a big pay cut and stay because he is Troy Polamalu and not James Harrison.

Missing on so many draft picks, specifically Woirlds over Sean Lee, and the rotten luck of Spence getting so badly injured has created a mess at ILB.

I do not see a Chiefs worst to first run in 2014. This will take a few years.
pczach (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #35
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,295 Times in 894 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ed.B. of the P-G agrees the biggest rebuild next year is on the defense

You cited many of the ills of the team in today's article but which one stands out the most to you as being the most damaging and in need of the most work?

Ed Bouchette: The defense, if we are looking ahead to 2014. They have potential losses at safety and defensive line (either forced or free agent) and they have problems at linebacker.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201310290150

My guess is Clark, Keisel and Hood (who had few snaps Sunday) are gone in 2014, with Ike staying because he just restructured to buy some cap room. Troy will take a big pay cut and stay because he is Troy Polamalu and not James Harrison.

Missing on so many draft picks, specifically Woirlds over Sean Lee, and the rotten luck of Spence getting so badly injured has created a mess at ILB.

I do not see a Chiefs worst to first run in 2014. This will take a few years.
Damn you, pete74! This would have never happened if it wasn't for you!
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (10-29-2013), pczach (10-29-2013), teegre (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,507 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Or, owners know the salary cap is going up and by how much so they're spending on cap credit. Jerry Jones did this back in the mid-late 90s.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
The Steelers aren't an old team anymore. Three of the four starters in the secondary are in their 30's; three of the the 18 starters on the rest of the team are in their 30's. Six of 22 starters in their 30's is not old. In fact, the average age of the starters on offense is just a hair over 25, which has to be among the youngest in the NFL.

Keep Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, and complement them with young, cheap talent.
You make some great points but your last one about the cheap talent is interesting because, cheap talent normally yields cheap results. You get what you pay for in this league nowadays.

But we are a fairly young team though. Spot on with that.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #38
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,048 Times in 7,618 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
You make some great points but your last one about the cheap talent is interesting because, cheap talent normally yields cheap results. You get what you pay for in this league nowadays.

But we are a fairly young team though. Spot on with that.
Cheap meaning rookies (through first contract).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #39
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,379 Times in 3,018 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksburg Zach View Post
Damn you, pete74! This would have never happened if it wasn't for you!
If only the Rooneys picked up another hometown hero! I guess they thought they had too many players from the area already, because certain fans have accused them of that. So they passed.... I mean really, who would have wanted Navarro Bowman or Sean Lee anyway?

pczach is offline   Reply With Quote