Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #71
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,702 Times in 9,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Cortez Allen Also demoted (Gay promoted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksburg Zach View Post
Is there a Florida DB coming out of the draft that you have a man crush on this year?
Ha, ha, ha.... uh... yes. (LOL!)

Louchiez Puifoy & Marcus Roberson were locks in R1... but, they've slipped badly. Roberson might still be a R2 pick, but Purifoy is more likely a R3 pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #72
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Ha, ha, ha.... uh... yes. (LOL!)

Louchiez Puifoy & Marcus Roberson were locks in R1... but, they've slipped badly. Roberson might still be a R2 pick, but Purifoy is more likely a R3 pick.
This will be the dilemma in this years draft. O line with Taylor Lewan, D line with Louis Nix or CB with Louchez Purifoy?? We could use all 3 spots, but what is the priority?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #73
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Maybe we could sign the guy that led the NFL with 38 interceptions last year that was just cut by his team, and the Steelers could sign him for league minimum.

It's called living in fantasy land.
Ourlads draft guide described said CB (Guy Supremaan) as having "tears that cure cancer... but, alas, Supremaan never cries."
Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #74
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
It went down like below....

As one of the top cornerbacks available in free agency, Lewis had teams lined up to court him for his services. Lewis had visits set up with the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders, Tennessee Titans and the Philadelphia Eagles.

But not long into his meeting with the Saints, Lewis knew he no longer needed his travel itinerary.

Lewis, who played last season under a $1.26 million tender, gave the Saints a bit of a hometown discount.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._reache_1.html

Maybe the Steelers never had a chance, it just looked like they never took a shot to keep him because they thought Allen was good enough. I just think that those who believe he is just a system CB that only fit here are just haters.
Exactly. The Steelers were in no position salary cap-wise to offer him a big contract with Allen looking promising and I believe that part of the reason Lewis left was because he wanted to go home. The Steelers would have needed to offer him big money to stay and even then it may have been impossible. Keeping Lewis would have further depleted the team in other areas due to money restraints.

I certainly liked Lewis and wished we could have kept him as I think Allen and he would have been a nice core of future CBs for us, but it wasn't meant to be.

We may never fully know why we didn't offer him a contract, but I suspect that Lewis made his intentions known to the Steelers organization and he wanted to test the free agent market with an opportunity to play for his hometown. I'm sure if he had made his rounds in the market and no offers were accepted, the Steelers may have thrown their hat in the ring with one of their own hoping he would give us a discount to return. Unfortunately, it didn't play out that way and he got what he was looking for in New Orleans.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #75
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
This will be the dilemma in this years draft. O line with Taylor Lewan, D line with Louis Nix or CB with Louchez Purifoy?? We could use all 3 spots, but what is the priority?
Indeed.
That traded draft pick (to the Browns) is going to haunt the Steelers.

I do not blame them for taking Shamarko; he is going to be good. BUT, in hindsight, they could have gotten him four picks later (with their own R4 pick). Landry Jones had better be something special.

The good news: the Steelers will likely get a couple of R3 compensatory picks. Now, 97 & 98 is not as good as (let's say) 75... but, at least there will be a couple of R3 picks.

In my opinion, it depends on where the Steelers draft.
Top 10: LT
11-16: NT
17-32: CB

If I "had" to wait on one, it'd be CB. Ike & Allen (& Gay) for one more season would suffice, but McClendon is more if a DE than a NT. and, I'd prefer Beachum inside (instead of at LT).
Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #76
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
I said better than Ike in this stage of their respective careers, meaning in Ike's 3rd year with the Steelers, he wasn't better than Lewis. Lewis has 3 picks already, I don't remember Ike having 3 picks in a whole season! Wasn't Allen and Lewis drafted at the same time? I could be mistaking. My point is out of all the CB's we drafted or got through free agency in the last decade and a half, Lewis turned out to be the best one, and we didn't even offer him a contract. Maybe DL felt Lewis was better at man to man than the 10 yard cushion zone that we run, that's why they let him go. I don't know but I hated the move. I seldom question what this organization does cause they usually have a good plan B, but when a guy like Lewis comes along, he IS plan B, C and D. Now we gotta deal with plan E and F at the CB position for EPIC FAIL!!!
Ike's forte' is locking down the WR. Few in the league are better than him. Sadly, he's got hands of stone.

Who knows, maybe when it's all said and done, Lewis will have a better career than both Ike and Cortez.

Keenan is in his 5th season.
Cortez is in his 3rd season.

While CA hasn't been wowing anyone so far, he still cracked the starting line up ahead of Lewis in this stage of their respective careers.

I was high on Lewis when he was drafted because of how physical he was, but he apparently didn't develop quickly. Hopefully Cortez will.

It's too early to tell who will be better. Lewis only has one year of starts under his belt and he was looking for a contract in that year. He's looking good so far down in NOLA, but a year and half does not a career make.

I'm also not sure you can just say Lewis was "better than Ike." Why, because of picks alone? Stats don't tell the whole story. And if you want to bring up Ike being benched, then you also have to look at how long it took Lewis to start. I seem to recall him drawing a lot of flags in the pre-season a few years back.

If only he'd have won the #2 job sooner. They may have made signing him a priority before last season. No one to blame here for that except Lewis.

Last edited by NJarhead; 11-02-2013 at 12:12 PM.
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJarhead For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-02-2013), teegre (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #77
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Ike's forte' is locking down the WR. Few in the league are better than him. Sadly, he's got hands of stone.

Who knows, maybe when it's all said and done, Lewis will have a better career than both Ike and Cortez.

Keenan is in his 5th season.
Cortez is in his 3rd season.

While CA hasn't been wowing anyone so far, he still cracked the starting line up ahead of Lewis in this stage of their perspective careers.

I was high on Lewis when he was drafted because of how physical he was, but he apparently didn't develop quickly. Hopefully Cortez will.

It's too early to tell who will be better. Lewis only has one year of starts under his belt and he was looking for a contract in that year. He's looking good so far down in NOLA, but a year and half does not a career make.

I'm also not sure you can just say Lewis was "better than Ike." Why, because of picks alone? Stats don't tell the whole story. And if you want to bring up Ike being benched, then you also have to look at how long it took Lewis to start. I seem to recall him drawing a lot of flags in the pre-season a few years back.

If only he'd have won the #2 job sooner. They may have made signing him a priority before last season. No one to blame here for that except Lewis.
Yes, Lewis was undisciplined early in his career and earned several bone-headed personal foul penalties which landed him in Tomlin's doghouse and on the bench. He didn't really put it together until his last season with us. Hopefully Cortez can develop more quickly and be even better than Lewis.

Also agree that INT stats don't tell the whole story on who is a great CB in this league. Ike can't catch for shit, but his coverage skills are second to none. He'd be a perennial pro-bowler if he could.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-02-2013), NJarhead (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #78
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Indeed.
That traded draft pick (to the Browns) is going to haunt the Steelers.

I do not blame them for taking Shamarko; he is going to be good. BUT, in hindsight, they could have gotten him four picks later (with their own R4 pick). Landry Jones had better be something special.

The good news: the Steelers will likely get a couple of R3 compensatory picks. Now, 97 & 98 is not as good as (let's say) 75... but, at least there will be a couple of R3 picks.

In my opinion, it depends on where the Steelers draft.
Top 10: LT
11-16: NT
17-32: CB

If I "had" to wait on one, it'd be CB. Ike & Allen (& Gay) for one more season would suffice, but McClendon is more if a DE than a NT. and, I'd prefer Beachum inside (instead of at LT).
I'm with you. As much as I think we have spent enough picks on the O line the past few years....if somebody like Lewan is there when we pick, we take the LT.

I still think it takes a couple years for a CB to get it in the NFL, so still future planning for Ike's retirement and Gay's mediocrity. Its why I was hoping that Terry Hawthorne was going to pan out in a couple years.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #79
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I'm with you. As much as I think we have spent enough picks on the O line the past few years....if somebody like Lewan is there when we pick, we take the LT.

I still think it takes a couple years for a CB to get it in the NFL, so still future planning for Ike's retirement and Gay's mediocrity. Its why I was hoping that Terry Hawthorne was going to pan out in a couple years.
Yep.
Jake Matthews is a no-brainier. And, Taylor Lewan would have been taken over every other O-lineman drafted last year. As good as Adams "could" be, Lewan would likely come in & already be ahead of Adams.

I put a NT ahead of the CB, because of the trickle-down effect (as you already know): the NT takes in double teams, freeing the DEs to open gaps/occupy O-linemen, which in turn, helps free up the OLBs... which helps the pass-rush. And, IMO, the pass-rush (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest problems with this team.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #80
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Yep.
Jake Matthews is a no-brainier. And, Taylor Lewan would have been taken over every other O-lineman drafted last year. As good as Adams "could" be, Lewan would likely come in & already be ahead of Adams.

I put a NT ahead of the CB, because of the trickle-down effect (as you already know): the NT takes in double teams, freeing the DEs to open gaps/occupy O-linemen, which in turn, helps free up the OLBs... which helps the pass-rush. And, IMO, the pass-rush (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest problems with this team.
I've got to evaluate Matthews more on film before I buy in. He is a senior, son of former NFL legend, but this is the first year he has played LT in the SEC. That kind of lack of film at LT scares me a bit in the Robert Gallery, Jason Smith kind of way.