Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Re: Times, they are a changing....

This is what happens when you pick in the late 20's or last for most of a decade. So your not getting the top
Player at any position. To compound it, not many diamonds in the rough after round 4. Add no cap
Space and the roster suffers. Regardless we will pick in the top 15 this upcoming draft and we have to draft 3 immediate starters out of the first 4 rounds.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
This is what happens when you pick in the late 20's or last for most of a decade. So your not getting the top
Player at any position. To compound it, not many diamonds in the rough after round 4. Add no cap
Space and the roster suffers. Regardless we will pick in the top 15 this upcoming draft and we have to draft 3 immediate starters out of the first 4 rounds.
By this logic, a team like the Raiders, Browns, Buccaneers should be stacked with Pro Bowlers and All Pros. Oh wait..
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
By this logic, a team like the Raiders, Browns, Buccaneers should be stacked with Pro Bowlers and All Pros. Oh wait..
By the same logic look at what it did for teams like SF, SEA, KC, DET, and until this seasonATL & HOU.

CLE, OAK,& TB could screw up a blow job.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ed.B. of the P-G on switching to the 4-3

Every once in awhile we receive a suggestion that the Steelers switch to a 4-3 defense, which has not been their base defense since the 1981 season. So, let’s see how that might work if, say, they wanted to try it for 2014.

First, they must re-sign Ziggy Hood, whose contract is up. He would play one defensive tackle. The other would be Steve McLendon. Let’s assume for this purpose that Brett Keisel either retires or they don’t invite him back, not that he’s playing poorly. His contract is up and he will be 36 next September and he could be caught up in their next transition stage.

Cameron Heyward plays one end and LaMarr Woodley plays the other. Jarvis Jones plays one outside linebacker. Now, you need another linebacker on the outside. I’d pick Lawrence Timmons for that job.

That leaves an inside linebacker. Larry Foote might hold the fort there one more season until they get one. Or maybe they believe Vince Williams can handle it. Or maybe they draft one or sign one in free agency.

There is one problem with the 4-3 defense as we look at it. Depth. They have none in the line, none at linebacker. But then, they don’t have much now either.

I’m not a big fan of them switching to the 4-3 defense because no one has explained to me the benefits of doing so, and the 3-4 has worked well for a long time here. But that’s what you’d possibly be looking at for 2014 if they decided to do so, and I have heard nothing along those lines.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201311070002

I have major issues with any transition that involves bringing Ziggy back
That's the thing-- the benefit of changing to a 4-3 is that we would be using the skillsets and strengths of our current players better. Arguably of course-- I am no defensive mastermind, just an astute observer.

Ziggy is clearly a one-gap, pass-rushing defensive end. Same with Cam (who also seems to be finding himself at home in our 3-4). Big Steve and Fangupo or whatever his name is at DT. Neither of them is big enough a DT to warrant 2 or 3 blockers like is required in our 3-4 scheme.

Timmons is the prototypical Tampa-2 MLB and Tomlin;s first 1st rnd pick. No coincidence the Tampa-2 is Tomlin's defense?

Jarvis is tall and fast, and can be taught coverage. Woodley is too big to play 4-3 OLB agreed and might be a situational pass rusher.

I only see us overhauling our scheme though, if we brought in a new DC from outside (doomsday scenario when DL retires).
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
By the same logic look at what it did for teams like SF, SEA, KC, DET, and until this seasonATL & HOU.

CLE, OAK,& TB could screw up a blow job.
It took SF, SEA, KC, DET a very long time to become contenders again.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Someone please explain to me how re-orienting and renaming the front seven is going to make Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu tackle better, make Ike Taylor intercept passes, and turn William Gay into a faster starting CB. I'm missing some part of the equation, I guess.

If the argument is that more QB pressure will be generated by Heyward and Woodley than is currently provided by Jones and Woodley, you'll forgive me for being skeptical. The back end is a sieve right now. William Gay is actually our best player in the secondary, and - while I like William Gay quite a bit - that's all you need to know about our defense right now.
Black Gold (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #17
Black Gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25445

4-3 or 3-4 isn't that bigger a swing with the personnel and tbh several teams including us have sub packages that are a hybrid of both. You look at the Seahawks base 4-3 Under and tell me we that doesn't translate.

Yes times are changing, they're changing across the NFL landscape it's just the standard football evolution, and part of the reason why I love the game.
NSMaster56 (11-08-2013)