Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989
Default Future change

The front office has handcuffed themselves to the dwindling years of players past their primes. The transformation of this team will only happen if they are willing to see the current roster for what it is....average.

The team can't improve if it doesn't have flexibility within the salary cap.

For all the genius accolades that have been heaped upon the front office for restructuring contracts, that approach has not helped and has IMO set the franchise back 2-3 years.

Keep Colbert and Tomlin. Colbert had a solid draft in 2013. Jarvis, Bell, Wheaton, Vince Williams and Nick Williams all look like quality picks. Even recent successes like Antonio Brown in the 6th and Kelvin Beachum in the 7th in previous drafts demonstrate that Colbert still has an eye for this.

Haley needs to go, he's predictable and doesn't mesh with his best offensive players (Ben, Antonio Brown etc...) they need a young fresh mind who can play to the strengths of the offense and unite this group. Set the run up with the pass. Anything is better than the current philosophy. Zone blocking looks like a failure for this group as we'll. Rethink the approach.

Roster changes need to be made. Lamar Woodley, Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel and Larry Foote all need to be sent packing. Possible others may leave via free agency such as Emmanuelle Sanders, Ziggy Hood and Jason Worilds. This relieves some cap space.

I view Jarvis as Woodleys replacement, Keisel is often injured but could be welcomed back on a bargain contract, and if Hood would do the same I would retain him.
The others can walk. They're average at best.

The team has no identity. It's not physical, it's not intimidating. It's not Steelers football. Let Ben be the unquestioned leader. Look to draft an impact player with this years likely top 10 pick. Someone like Anthony Barr or Louis Nix. Grab a value weapon in the second round if someone like North Carolina TE Eric Ebron or Vandy WR Jordan Mathews slips through the first.

If the pick is in the top 3 or 4 in the first round consider making a move for Marcus Mariota if he declares, Bridgewater or Jadaveon Clowney if either slips. Get creative. The same old same is not working in today's NFL.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
warddj86 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,724 Times in 805 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: Future change

We've got much more glaring issues than QB right now. We shouldn't waste our first pick on a QB.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
kan_t (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Soberdisposition
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24720

No need for a QB when a lineman (O or D) will make much more of an impact. Ben isnt the problem its the team around him that is.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989

I'm a huge Ben supporter but ownership and the staff around him don't trust him enough to run the offense the way a QB of his acumen should. I just think it's rare we get to pick high. It's better to move back and get in rebuild mode or look toward the future in a big way. I don't think this team is a contender for the next 2-3 seasons minimum. How large of a window does Ben gave left to get another ring? To me it's either waste those years or develop an elite prospect behind him. If a top QB fell you'd have to at least consider it.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote