Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default On the Steelers: Vince Williams a rarity for Steelers -- a starter at linebacker as a

By Ed Bouchette/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers hoped to have their first rookie linebacker start for them this season since Kendrell Bell did it 12 years ago, and they have.

It’s just not their first-round pick, Jarvis Jones. Rather, Vince Williams, their second choice in the sixth round of the draft, No. 206 overall, starts at inside linebacker for them, and he’s coming off one of his best games.

“He’s doing a good job, he’s getting better,” said veteran linebacker Larry Foote. “I like the excitement and enthusiasm he plays with. You need that to be good in this league.”

Foote not only is one of Williams’ main boosters, but he also boosted him right into the job when his biceps blew out in the first game of the season. The Steelers first tried Kion Wilson at the buck position, but after two games they turned to Williams, and he has been there the past six.

That’s more than Jones has started at outside linebacker. He started four games before they demoted him in favor of Jason Worilds.

Williams and the mack inside linebacker, Lawrence Timmons, earned high grades for their play last week in stopping the Buffalo Bills’ seventh-ranked running game.

“Vince has been getting better every week,” said defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. “I think he continued to grow. He might have been more visible [vs. the Bills] but to us, day-in and day-out, he’s made progressive strides. I think that will continue to happen.”

“I feel like I’m improving,” Williams said. “But I feel improvement is necessary. I feel like I have a lot more to do.”

Timmons wears the transmitter in his helmet to listen to the coaches call the defense. He then calls it out for his teammates, but Williams then sets the front alignment. Foote used to handle both jobs.

“He’s more verbal, he’s setting the defense, he’s making a lot of the calls, helping Lawrence out big-time,’’ Foote said,

The question next year will become, who gets that buck linebacker job — Foote, or can Williams convince them to go younger?

“Hopefully, I can hold him off, come back next year, and he’ll be my backup,” said Foote. “But I’m just excited what he’s doing. As a linebacker, you root for the young guys, you want them to play well. He’s doing a good job for us.”

Gay turns into starter

The return of William Gay to the Steelers in March was not greeted warmly by many fans. Fairly or not, Gay had become a scapegoat at cornerback even when he started for the No. 1 pass defense and overall defense in 2011, earned a Super Bowl ring by playing in their nickel defense and as part-time starter in 2008, and was wildly popular with his teammates.

Gay signed a two-year contract as an unrestricted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals last year after the Steelers made no move to re-sign him.

The Cardinals cut him after one season, and that’s when defensive backs Ryan Clark and Ike Taylor went to work on coach Mike Tomlin.

“I texted coach Tomlin right away, are we trying to get Will?” Clark said. “Ike did the same thing. We all felt the same way. We wanted him to be here. We wanted him to be part of our defensive backfield, of our defense.”

The Steelers signed him to play in their nickel and dime defense. They had allowed starting cornerback Keenan Lewis to leave as a free agent because they felt good about his replacement, Cortez Allen.

Allen started the opener, missed two games with an injury and returned to start two more. Since then, Gay has replaced him as the starting left cornerback, and he played one of his better games Sunday.

Gay led the Steelers with nine solo tackles, 11 total — two for losses — against Buffalo. He also knocked down at least one pass.

“I thought Will always played well,” Clark said. “He’s not the flash some people want outside on the corner, not the speed, not the boisterous personality but an extremely good football player.”

Gay signed a three-year contract with the Steelers in March.

It’s a Georgia Tech thing

A Georgia Tech veteran player showed Jonathan Dwyer around on his recruiting visit to that school years ago.

“He showed me how everything works on campus, the different facilities, things like that,” Dwyer recalled. “I got to know him. It was a good experience. Calvin was the host of my visit.”

The two will meet again Sunday when Calvin Johnson arrives with the Detroit Lions at Heinz Field. Johnson wore No. 21 at Georgia Tech. When he left, coach Chan Gailey gave that number to Dwyer.

“Coach Gailey thought I could handle it in a responsible way and live up to the hype of the number and all that stuff,” Dwyer said of the legendary Johnson.

Lately, Dwyer is living up more to the promise that Tomlin had for him. The coach praised Dwyer Tuesday for his work as a backup running back and on special teams and said he deserved more carries.

“I heard about it,” said Dwyer, who was cut before the first game and re-signed before the second. “It’s encouraging. I’m just trying to do my job. It’s about what I do with those opportunities more than anything. You can get as many as you want, but, if you’re not doing anything with them, it’s worthless.”

Injury update

Offensive guard Ramon Foster (ankle), defensive end Brett Keisel (foot) and outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf) missed practice for a second consecutive day. Center Fernando Velasco returned, and offensive linemen Kelvin Beachum, David DeCastro and Marcus Gilbert all went through a full practice after being limited Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2khszBOkB
Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: On the Steelers: Vince Williams a rarity for Steelers -- a starter at linebacker

Foote's fooling himself if he believes he'll be back next year as a starter. I think Vince Williams is here to stay and if Sean Spence comes back and can play, I think we've seen the last of Larry Foote in a Steelers uniform.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (11-15-2013), harrison'samonster (11-15-2013), pczach (11-15-2013), steelfury02 (11-15-2013), teegre (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: On the Steelers: Vince Williams a rarity for Steelers -- a starter at linebacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Foote's fooling himself if he believes he'll be back next year as a starter. I think Vince Williams is here to stay and if Sean Spence comes back and can play, I think we've seen the last of Larry Foote in a Steelers uniform.
Yeah, that's the way I see it as well. Foote has been pretty solid for us since Farrior left, but its time for him to step aside and let the young buck do his thing.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 43Hitman For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-15-2013), GBMelBlount (11-15-2013), harrison'samonster (11-15-2013), teegre (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,282 Posts

I'm just as excited about this guy as I am about our first three picks.
harrison'samonster (11-15-2013), SH-Rock (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
I'm just as excited about this guy as I am about our first three picks.
In the Jets game he showed great poise and patience, something you'd see from a seasoned vet. I hope he continues to grow because he seems like a smart player who can read opposing defenses and direct ours. One area of concern though is his pass defending though, so if he can get that in order he'd definitely be a 3 down starter.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-15-2013), harrison'samonster (11-15-2013), TheWarDen86 (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Williams is definitely improving, I've seen several times in the last few games he gets in the hole with his feet set ahead of the RB. He's been making good tackles and good hits.

One thing to remember is that he's starting due to injury. I'm hoping him and Spence will be the ones competing next year, but I want it to be because they beat Foote out. If so, I remember Foote right there with the rest of the recent SB winning Steelers and always appreciate his contributions, even if he does get so nervous when he catches a pick.
fer522 (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Williams is definitely improving, I've seen several times in the last few games he gets in the hole with his feet set ahead of the RB. He's been making good tackles and good hits.

One thing to remember is that he's starting due to injury. I'm hoping him and Spence will be the ones competing next year, but I want it to be because they beat Foote out. If so, I remember Foote right there with the rest of the recent SB winning Steelers and always appreciate his contributions, even if he does get so nervous when he catches a pick.
Imagine that, a rookie getting a chance to play and he does well, amazing!
fer522 (11-15-2013), harrison'samonster (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

This guy is going to be a great Linebacker in the NFL. He was a late round pick because people were worried about him on passing downs. On first and second down though, you could very easily argue he was the best MLB/ILB in the draft last year.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-15-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Imagine that, a rookie getting a chance to play and he does well, amazing!
I know that is the exception and not the rule. Something like less than 5% of all rookies start their first season in the NFL, unless they are on crappy teams that have not drafted and developed talent and the rookies have to play......................wait, that describes the 3-6 Steelers.

The thing with Williams, is that he stepped on the field in Mobile AL for the Senior Bowl...and almost instantly became the leader of the Defense. Williams is a student of the game and a leader of men. He is going to fit in at ILB for some time IMO.