Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Re: Stop Thanking Veterans For Their Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
I've been active duty military for almost 7 years now and I've never liked the "thank you" stuff
I rarely wear my uniform outside of work if I can help it

Nothing against people who express those well wishes or gratitude, but the military is just a small piece of my persona and I don't do it for free
Then thank you for your small piece of persona.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-24-2013), NSMaster56 (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
This breaks my heart.

Have you seen her since she was diagnosed.

...and when you see her, please...thank her for her service for me.
Will do. She's been away for about a month now, but she wasn't doing well the last time I saw her at all. She just came back a different person completely. We all just hope she can confront whatever demons are haunting her and get better. It's hard enough dealing with addiction on its own.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-25-2013), GBMelBlount (11-24-2013), harrison'samonster (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Will do. She's been away for about a month now, but she wasn't doing well the last time I saw her at all. She just came back a different person completely. We all just hope she can confront whatever demons are haunting her and get better. It's hard enough dealing with addiction on its own.
Thanks.

Do you feel you are still close enough with her that you could subtley offer your shoulder.

~ 3 Doors Down

The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Thanks.

Do you feel you are still close enough with her that you could subtley offer your shoulder.
I still consider us close, she's seen me go through some shit as well and was always there for me. My offers have not been that subtle. I was there when we talked to her about rehab. It's all up to her right now though. All we can do is be there for her if she needs us...she has to follow through with this if she wants to get back from this.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-25-2013), harrison'samonster (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I still consider us close, she's seen me go through some shit as well and was always there for me. My offers have not been that subtle. I was there when we talked to her about rehab. It's all up to her right now though. All we can do is be there for her if she needs us...she has to follow through with this if she wants to get back from this.
That doesn't surprise me. You are a kind and compassionate person.

Everybody deals with trauma differently I guess.

I remember taking a course in sociology in college and in the text book it discussed a rural town where thousands of people were wiped out by a flash flood. Relief workers and counselors came in to help the survivors and to help rebuild the town....and they documented the emotional aftermath and healing process of those who survived.

For the most part, the women grieved for months afterwards yet most men just threw there shoulders back and continued on. 6 months later most of the women were back to some degree of normalcy after embracing and dealing with the grief. However many of the men, who kept the grief inside, began developing long term physical ailments...psychosomatic illnesses...that in many cases only worsened over time.

I know my dad saw some terrible stuff in Europe in WWII. Sadly, he was not the type who would ever seek or respond to "formal" counseling or therapy. However I know personally, if there were things weighing heavily on me that I felt I needed to talk or work through, I would seek the counsel of a dear and trusted friend / confidante, over a therapist. That's just me...

Regardless, I hope and pray that someone, anyone, can connect with her to the point where she can start to work through these terrible things that weigh so heavily on her heart and soul.

War is hell.

~ 3 Doors Down

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-25-2013), harrison'samonster (11-24-2013), SteelCityMom (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

I'd rather be thanked as a vet than here merry Christmas a million times before its actually Christmas.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVABE For This Useful Post:
SteelCityMom (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
caplovestroyp43
Team Captain

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
I'll post this here too, since I know the well wishes forum doesn't get that much attention. Best way to thank a vet or active duty member is to donate your money or time to their recovery. I know not everyone has that option, and sometimes a thank you is all you have. But if you know you have more to give to them...give it. They deserve it.

My cousin, who I was very close with, is going through a very hard time. And I know it's something many military members and vets go through.

She served time in Afghanistan in the marines. Two tours I believe. I can't recall exactly what her rank was, or what exactly she did there (I don't follow military jargon, so I don't remember exactly what she was doing)...but she was there doing her duty.

She came back with PTSD and some physical problems. I don't know what happened, she hasn't told anyone (except maybe her therapist). The VA she was going to prescribed her Percocet for the physical pain she was in. They prescribed her 180 pills to start with...more than any normal prescription would call for. She became addicted (don't know what they thought would happen with someone with mental and physical issues would do). She started stealing from family members and friends to feed this addiction. Her grandmother (not on my side) pressed charges on her for stealing her bank card and withdrawing money. We are all just so worried for her. This isn't who she is.

She is in rehab right now. And I just ask that thoughts, prayers, and general good energy be passed along to her and all of those who are fighting their struggles after coming home. Please donate to charities for veterans and active duty soldiers if you can, and volunteer if you are able. Nothing says thank you more than being a part of someone's recovery.

We are just sick to death about what is going on with her. And I know that so may military members come home with the same issues. It's one thing to thank them face to face...it's another to recognize what they are going though and help with that. Please take the time and money (if you have it) to help those who are suffering.
Breaks my heart too. Man. Let's hope she can get things turned around. I know all about addiction and it's so hard to break once you're hooked. All the very best to her.

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS..."
caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to caplovestroyp43 For This Useful Post:
SteelCityMom (11-24-2013)