Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #101
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,969 Times in 3,713 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Ike Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I agree, Hawaiians are often referred to as being lazy and slackers so I don't see how those words only refer to one particular skin color.
well the word was used in this thread to describe a black man who is anything but lazy. So specifically to this thread the use of stereotyping black men as lazy was brought up. Mexicans are another race that the stereotype exists for.

I'd be interested to know if people have never heard that black men are stereotyped as lazy. I hear it all the time.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #102
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,095 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
well the word was used in this thread to describe a black man who is anything but lazy. So specifically to this thread the use of stereotyping black men as lazy was brought up. Mexicans are another race that the stereotype exists for.

I'd be interested to know if people have never heard that black men are stereotyped as lazy. I hear it all the time.
A lot of the black movies I watch, a lot of the themes in the stories is about how to be a real man and if the brother has a job.

Mexicans being lazy? I don't know about that. I live in so cal and all I see here are Mexicans cleaning white peoples lawns and hotel rooms. If that's lazy then, we have hit new exceptions in the non-lazy department.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #103
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
A lot of the black movies I watch, a lot of the themes in the stories is about how to be a real man and if the brother has a job.

Mexicans being lazy? I don't know about that. I live in so cal and all I see here are Mexicans cleaning white peoples lawns and hotel rooms. If that's lazy then, we have hit new exceptions in the non-lazy department.
I agree with you on the stereotype about Mexicans (and it doesn't fit for any race of people). I'm not sure where it comes from other than just a way for somebody to try and put down somebody who's different from them.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-27-2013), Lady Steel (11-26-2013), OX1947 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #104
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,917 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I don't discriminate. I regulate every shade of 'dat ass.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-27-2013), harrison'samonster (11-26-2013), Lady Steel (11-26-2013), Neil-Still-Rules-14 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #105
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
I agree with you on the stereotype about Mexicans (and it doesn't fit for any race of people). I'm not sure where it comes from other than just a way for somebody to try and put down somebody who's different from them.
I base things off what I see everyday. If we base everything from tv, things might get skewed a little. I do not see black people being lazy in my everyday life. Probably because where I have lived most of my life, there werent a lot of black people. However, my best friend is black, from Africa, lived in Paris and moved to America in 1999. And he has lived in the same apartment for 13 years, and works two jobs for as long as I can remember.

Mexicans on the other hand, I have been around all my life, and i can honestly say, I can not remember the last time I saw a non-Mexican cleaning a hotel room or mowing a lawn. I worked in the hotel business for 9 years and I have owned a home for 4 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-27-2013), harrison'samonster (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #106
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I base things off what I see everyday. If we base everything from tv, things might get skewed a little. I do not see black people being lazy in my everyday life. Probably because where I have lived most of my life, there werent a lot of black people. However, my best friend is black, from Africa, lived in Paris and moved to America in 1999. And he has lived in the same apartment for 13 years, and works two jobs for as long as I can remember.

Mexicans on the other hand, I have been around all my life, and i can honestly say, I can not remember the last time I saw a non-Mexican cleaning a hotel room or mowing a lawn. I worked in the hotel business for 9 years and I have owned a home for 4 years.
great post! I agree with you the stereotype is terrible, and I don't get it either, and I'm guessing it's been around for a long time. I hear white people referring to black people every so often as being lazy, I don't know where they get that.
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #107
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,251 Times in 665 Posts

Every race has lazy people and every race has hard working people and every race has those that fall somewhere inbetween.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-27-2013), harrison'samonster (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #108
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
great post! I agree with you the stereotype is terrible, and I don't get it either, and I'm guessing it's been around for a long time. I hear white people referring to black people every so often as being lazy, I don't know where they get that.
TELEVISION
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #109
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
The lazy tag on us is a term that comes directly from slavery. Even tough we provided free labor (even building most huge institutions like the White House) we were still categorized as being lazy. That shit ain't cool and I normally don't get involved in discussions on boards when this kind of shit comes up but folks are welcomed to Google for info. I was born and raised in the South during the sixties, and am a student of history, so I can honestly say that the term is a stab at blacks.

Not sure if the posters meant it that way but Ike is too hard of a worker to be considered lazy, so one has to ponder the post.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-27-2013), harrison'samonster (11-26-2013), JeromeBetties63 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #110
NyGiantz
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8211

Ike always been steady for you guys. When he was a free agent a few years back I was hoping we would sign him.