Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,731 Times in 809 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Two Hawkeyes the Steelers could legitimately look at

A bit of a homer thread seeing as I'm an Iowa Hawkeyes fan (born and raised) but I got to thinking and I think there's two guys on the Hawkeyes roster right now that the Steelers could legitimately look into come the 2014 NFL Draft.

1. Brandon Scherff OT Iowa 6ft 5" 315lbs - Scherff is a prototypical Iowa Left Tackle. An excellent mauler in the running game, and he's also a very good pass blocker as well. Just a blue chip hard working kind of guy with a high motor. Reminds me a lot of Riley Reiff who is currently the Lions starting LT. Doesn't get the recognition of some other bigger names like Cyrus Kouandjio for example so he could be available maybe into the 2nd Round or 3rd Round (highly doubt it) if he so chooses to enter the 2014 draft and to forgo his Senior season at Iowa. I think he can definitely follow in Reilly Reiff, and Bryan Bulaga's footsteps.He's also pretty strong as you can see in this video:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa 6ft 7" 265lbs
- Fiedorowicz is freakishly tall and has all the intangibles on paper to be a nightmare in the passing game in the NFL. In my opinion he's under utilized in our offense at Iowa but he has a knack for making big plays in big situations. Caught a game winning TD in OT against the Northwestern Wildcats last Saturday. His blocking has gotten much better with time, and he's obviously athletic. Has great hands, and is a good route runner. I'd love to see what he could do if Heath Miller took him under his wing.

Perhaps I'm grabbing at straws but these guys are legitimate talents that could very well be draft prospects at positions of need for the Steelers. We're still looking for a franchise LT, and David Paulson just hasn't been cutting it. Matt Spaeth still hasn't seen the field, and with all the time he's been out who knows how effective he can be. Fiedorowicz has the sheer size and physical intangibles to be the good receiving and blocking TE we like to see in the Steelers offense. A year of NFL conditioning could make a world of difference for Fiedorowicz as well.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927; 10-29-2013 at 06:36 AM.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (12-02-2013), GBMelBlount (10-29-2013), harrison'samonster (10-30-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,053 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Two Hawkeyes the Steelers could legitimately look at

Kiper: 2014 draft flush with left tackles

Nov. 14, 2013
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers have used two first-round picks and a pair of second-round selections on their offensive line since 2010.

If they are not convinced their left tackle of the future is currently with the organization, the next NFL draft is shaping up as the one for the Steelers to use another first-round pick on the offensive line.

ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said during a conference call on Tuesday that the 2014 draft should be flush with premium left tackle prospects.

Kiper has Texas A&M left tackle Jake Matthews rated as his third overall prospect among those players expected to be in the draft.

But he is also high on a number of other tackles, including Iowa’s Brandon Scherff and Auburn’s Greg Robinson.

Scherff is a redshirt junior and Robinson is a redshirt sophomore so each could return to school. But if each enters the 2014 draft they would be first-round picks, Kiper said.

Scherff actually played quarterback his sophomore year of high school before outgrowing the position. He is a good all-around athlete and Kiper couldn’t say enough about the 6-foot-5, 315-pounder.

“He’s just dominating as a run-blocker, light on his feet,” Kiper said. “He’s had a couple of mistakes in protection but other than that he’s been outstanding.”

Kiper has also been impressed with Robinson, who is listed at 6-foot-6 and 327 pounds, and plays with a maturity that belies his status as an underclassman.

“Professional already in terms of his approach and demeanor,” Kiper said. “Has everything you want.”

Kiper hasn’t soured on Michigan left tackle Taylor Lewan even though he may have hurt his draft stock by returning to school for his senior season. Kiper still has Lewan as a sold first-round pick.

“He’s gotten unfairly criticized,” Kiper said. “The bookends (of Michigan’s offensive line) haven’t been the problem.”

Kiper said as many as seven potential left tackles could go in the first round of the draft depending on how many underclassmen come out early.

Other potential first-rounder offensive tackles he mentioned specifically included Tennessee’s Antonio Richardson, Alabama’s Cyrus Kouandjio, Florida State’s Cameron Irving and North Carolina’s James Hurst.

Kiper still has South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney rated as the top overall player in the draft even though Clowney has had a disappointing junior season.

“Unless you need a quarterback or a great left tackle you take Clowney,” Kiper said of the top overall pick. “It’s hard to go through a brick wall and that’s what teams are doing, they are walling things off.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...h-left-tackles
Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Thanks @Hawaii 5-0 for the article. Definitely agree with Kiper's breakdown on Scherff. Been watching this kid all year. Mauler in the running game, and good in pass protection. Typical Iowa style Left Tackle. A lot like Bryan Bulaga, and Riley Reiff who preceded him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-17-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (11-17-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

I think this is the year to take an OT.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
I think this is the year to take an OT.
I agree. Beachum is holding down the fort but I don't know that he's the franchise LT we've been looking for. I think Brandon Scherff could fit that role, and if we keep winning games (and I hope we do) we're likely going to end up in the middle of the 1st Round. I hope it ends up being late in the first round, but realistically I think we're going to be in the middle somewhere. Scherff might just be available if he chooses to opt out of playing his senior year at Iowa. The big names like Taylor Lewan, and Cyrus Kouandjio will go off the board first so Scherff could fly under the radar a bit.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Stressed

Iowa has a great taste in jersey design.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
PhantomJB93 (12-28-2013), The_Joker (12-02-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Iowa has a great taste in jersey design.
Haha LOL. Interesting history behind it...

From wikipedia on former Iowa Head Coaching Legend Hayden Fry:

"Iowa coaching career

Hayden Fry was hired as Iowa's 25th head football coach, and fourth in eight seasons, after the 1978 season. Fry had never been to Iowa, but he knew and liked Bump Elliott, by this time the university's athletic director. Iowa had had 17 straight non-winning seasons, but Fry was impressed at the fan support for a program that had struggled for so long.

Fry turned his attention to changing a losing attitude and starting new traditions at Iowa. Hayden would not celebrate close losses or moral victories. He hired a marketing group to create the Tigerhawk, a logo to represent the University of Iowa's athletic programs. Since both shared the colors of black and gold, Fry gained permission from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the dominant NFL program of the time, to overhaul Iowa’s uniforms in the Steelers’ image. Fry had the team "swarm" onto the field together as they left the locker room, holding hands in a show of solidarity. And Fry had the visitors’ locker room painted pink. Fry, a psychology major at Baylor, knew that pink is occasionally used in jails and mental institutions to relax and pacify the residents, and Fry claimed that it might have the same effect on the visiting team. Principally, though, Fry hoped that the unusual color would distract and fluster the opposing players and coaches. Visiting head coaches, particularly Michigan head coach Bo Schembechler, would occasionally try to cover the pink walls with paper to shield their players from the color.[3]

On the field, Hayden assembled a terrific coaching staff, bringing his assistant coaches with him from North Texas, including Bill Brashier, his defensive coordinator and a childhood friend from Eastland, Texas, and Bill Snyder, his offensive coordinator. Fry retained some of the Iowa coaches from the previous staff, including Dan McCarney and Bernie Wyatt. Finally, Fry hired the head coach at Mason City High School, Barry Alvarez. Fry would later add Kirk Ferentz as his offensive line coach and hire his former players Bob Stoops, Mike Stoops, Chuck Long, and Bret Bielema as assistant coaches. Fry also gave former USF Head Coach Jim Leavitt one of his first breaks in college football, making him a graduate assistant coach at Iowa in 1989."

Personally I think it's pretty classy of the Rooney's that they allowed Hayden Fry to redesign the Hawkeye jerseys in the likeness of the Steelers. I've got Black and Gold running through my veins through and through!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (12-03-2013), MDSteel15 (12-30-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Stressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Haha LOL. Interesting history behind it...

From wikipedia on former Iowa Head Coaching Legend Hayden Fry:

"Iowa coaching career

Hayden Fry was hired as Iowa's 25th head football coach, and fourth in eight seasons, after the 1978 season. Fry had never been to Iowa, but he knew and liked Bump Elliott, by this time the university's athletic director. Iowa had had 17 straight non-winning seasons, but Fry was impressed at the fan support for a program that had struggled for so long.

Fry turned his attention to changing a losing attitude and starting new traditions at Iowa. Hayden would not celebrate close losses or moral victories. He hired a marketing group to create the Tigerhawk, a logo to represent the University of Iowa's athletic programs. Since both shared the colors of black and gold, Fry gained permission from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the dominant NFL program of the time, to overhaul Iowa’s uniforms in the Steelers’ image. Fry had the team "swarm" onto the field together as they left the locker room, holding hands in a show of solidarity. And Fry had the visitors’ locker room painted pink. Fry, a psychology major at Baylor, knew that pink is occasionally used in jails and mental institutions to relax and pacify the residents, and Fry claimed that it might have the same effect on the visiting team. Principally, though, Fry hoped that the unusual color would distract and fluster the opposing players and coaches. Visiting head coaches, particularly Michigan head coach Bo Schembechler, would occasionally try to cover the pink walls with paper to shield their players from the color.[3]

On the field, Hayden assembled a terrific coaching staff, bringing his assistant coaches with him from North Texas, including Bill Brashier, his defensive coordinator and a childhood friend from Eastland, Texas, and Bill Snyder, his offensive coordinator. Fry retained some of the Iowa coaches from the previous staff, including Dan McCarney and Bernie Wyatt. Finally, Fry hired the head coach at Mason City High School, Barry Alvarez. Fry would later add Kirk Ferentz as his offensive line coach and hire his former players Bob Stoops, Mike Stoops, Chuck Long, and Bret Bielema as assistant coaches. Fry also gave former USF Head Coach Jim Leavitt one of his first breaks in college football, making him a graduate assistant coach at Iowa in 1989."

Personally I think it's pretty classy of the Rooney's that they allowed Hayden Fry to redesign the Hawkeye jerseys in the likeness of the Steelers. I've got Black and Gold running through my veins through and through!
Painting the opposing locker room pink was BRILLIANT.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Painting the opposing locker room pink was BRILLIANT.
Hayden Fry is such a badass... Greatest Hawkeye ever IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (12-03-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Brandon Scherff to stay at Iowa for his senior season. I'm glad honestly because losing him would be a huge loss to a damned good offensive line.
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
rrage (02-09-2014)