Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Gil Brandts 60sec Previews - Teams ranked 1-32

I was reading this and thought I would share. To be honest, even though I am not a big fan of Brandts musings, I really like what he had to say.

Think of this, most writers, rankers, oddsmakers, etc...are thinking that A Randle-El is going to have a profound impact on our team by his exit. I, for one, do not hold the same dramatic view. I believe he will be replaced at receiving by Santonio and his punt returns will be EASILY replaced by Willie Reid. Will we miss the Steelers Trademark Gadget Plays? How can we miss them if they are not gone? We have plenty of talent in that department! Hines played QB and RB back in the day. We have Omar Jacobs, who I foresee making a "possible" appearance in some wierd fashion that Whiz and Bill have cooked up.

Ok, will we miss Jerome? Of course we will! But not how most believe we will miss him. His short yardage game will be successfully filled by Duce (as long as he his healthy) and Verron (one of my personal favorites). His leadership role is being filled as we speak by Ben, Hines, and many others on both sides of the ball. What we will miss is that psychological impact Jerome has on opponents. What happened during the first game of regular season against Cincy last year? They were AFRAID of him! After a couple of good runs against Chicago....they were afraid of him! ...and hesitant to sacrifice their body before him (watch Urlachers head snap back as Jerome literally ran OVER him at the goal line. :sign10:

ok........I have droned on quite enough. Here's the article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9532593

Happy 4th! ~ Mikey
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117
Default Re: Gil Brandts 60sec Previews - Teams ranked 1-32

i did not realize seattle's defense was so bad. we beat the at their strength with a 75 run for a TD. and their pas defense was 25th. WOW! i am surprised that they beat Carolina. and yet they are surprised that the lost the big one. could you imagine how good our defense coould have been if we played their schedule?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy71
i did not realize seattle's defense was so bad. we beat the at their strength with a 75 run for a TD. and their pas defense was 25th. WOW! i am surprised that they beat Carolina. and yet they are surprised that the lost the big one. could you imagine how good our defense coould have been if we played their schedule?
I don't think Seattle would have gotten past the Panthers had the Panthers been a healthy team overall at the time.

I also don't believe the Steelers will feel the impact of El leaving too much. The gadget plays will still be utilized but this time, Wiz may use Hines Ward to throw a pass to one of our receivers. A lot of people forget that Hines was once a QB too.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
I don't think Seattle would have gotten past the Panthers had the Panthers been a healthy team overall at the time.

I also don't believe the Steelers will feel the impact of El leaving too much. The gadget plays will still be utilized but this time, Wiz may use Hines Ward to throw a pass to one of our receivers. A lot of people forget that Hines was once a QB too.
Ok, here's the thing:

I'm not trying to Big Time anyone, but I used to work in the sports department of a major metropolitan newspaper that covered a pro team extensively. I can assure you, the writers who come up with rankings, polls, "ultimate depth charts", etc., do not put as much research into them as probably you or I would. Keep in mind, they are looking at 32 teams from a broad perspective, with very little knowledge on which to base an opinion at this time of the year.

They saw the Super Bowl, therefore, Pittsburgh makes a living off gadget plays, and El's value is so much greater in their mind. In the mind of a Steelers fan who watched every single game of El's career, he's not nearly worth $5 million per. They forgot his incredibly stupid lateral to Ward against the Pats in a pivotal situation. We didn't. We remember his dropped passes. They overlook it.

It's not that the media are only referring to the positives, but they simply don't go as in-depth into a team's ability as the hard core fans of that team do. El had like 31 catches last year. But because he threw a touchdown pass in the Super Bowl, people remember him, therefore give him an inflated value.

This same philosophy extends to every other team, assuring that the proper research and logic are not equally applied to everyone. While I can't stand on my high horse and expect them to use anything other than last year's statistics to judge a team going into this season (I would like to point out Mark Schlereth of ESPN has picked a Patriots/Panthers Super Bowl two years in a row now), a massive grain of salt needs to be taken when looking over off-season rankings, especially in football, especially at this time of the year.

I mean, seriously, we know nothing right now of holdouts, the shape of players going into camp, injuries, and anything else out of their control as coaches/athletes. Therefore, analysts/writers/reporters are really only going on how last season looked on a stat sheet, with absolutely no way to judge or evaluate That Thing that championship teams have. There's a moxy and swagger to a champion when they're going through the playoffs, and you have no way at all to judge that right now.

Long post short, nothing evaluated right now means anything at all. It's really just something media put out there to keep people's appetites for football satisfied. For good teams looking to win championships, the season doesn't start until Week 10.
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsteelers
Ok, here's the thing:

I'm not trying to Big Time anyone, but I used to work in the sports department of a major metropolitan newspaper that covered a pro team extensively. I can assure you, the writers who come up with rankings, polls, "ultimate depth charts", etc., do not put as much research into them as probably you or I would. Keep in mind, they are looking at 32 teams from a broad perspective, with very little knowledge on which to base an opinion at this time of the year.

They saw the Super Bowl, therefore, Pittsburgh makes a living off gadget plays, and El's value is so much greater in their mind. In the mind of a Steelers fan who watched every single game of El's career, he's not nearly worth $5 million per. They forgot his incredibly stupid lateral to Ward against the Pats in a pivotal situation. We didn't. We remember his dropped passes. They overlook it.

It's not that the media are only referring to the positives, but they simply don't go as in-depth into a team's ability as the hard core fans of that team do. El had like 31 catches last year. But because he threw a touchdown pass in the Super Bowl, people remember him, therefore give him an inflated value.

This same philosophy extends to every other team, assuring that the proper research and logic are not equally applied to everyone. While I can't stand on my high horse and expect them to use anything other than last year's statistics to judge a team going into this season (I would like to point out Mark Schlereth of ESPN has picked a Patriots/Panthers Super Bowl two years in a row now), a massive grain of salt needs to be taken when looking over off-season rankings, especially in football, especially at this time of the year.

I mean, seriously, we know nothing right now of holdouts, the shape of players going into camp, injuries, and anything else out of their control as coaches/athletes. Therefore, analysts/writers/reporters are really only going on how last season looked on a stat sheet, with absolutely no way to judge or evaluate That Thing that championship teams have. There's a moxy and swagger to a champion when they're going through the playoffs, and you have no way at all to judge that right now.

Long post short, nothing evaluated right now means anything at all. It's really just something media put out there to keep people's appetites for football satisfied. For good teams looking to win championships, the season doesn't start until Week 10.

Well written....excellent points....rep points to you....

This will all play out on the field....opinions are like...well...lol...you know...