Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-08-2006, 04:27 AM   #41
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Look out for Ben R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit
I'll agree with that, the weaker teams may not come away with a victory but I will offer you this: There will be no more "Fantasy Football League Hall of Fame" numbers for Peyton Manning. It used to make me sick to see Peyton Manning audible his way into 400 yard, 4 TD passing performances against inferior teams. I believe that even the inferior teams will slow him down quite a bit if they follow the prescribed formula of disguising their intended defense until after Manning calls his audibles.
Thats an interesting point, Steelpit.

Do you think you will see most teams shifting their alignment right before the snap this year when they play the Colts?

Personally, I think he will struggle to sell the play-action unless Addai and Rhodes put up some good numbers early season.

I remember one trick play he tried to pull against the Patriots in the 2004 playoffs - he walked along the LOS waving his hands in the air (as he does just about every snap) and the centre snapped the ball direct to the Edge who ran for the 1st down.

The refs called an infraction and the Colts bench went crazy - they had planned this for a whole week.

Turns out Manning ruined the play, because as he went in motion he became an eligible receiver - and he forgot to stop moving before the ball was snapped - excellent call by the refs.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing if teams do decide to mix things up on D right before the snap - I think only very disciplined teams such as the Steelers and Patriots can pull this off on a regular basis without confusing themselves.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:33 AM   #42
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
If I remember correctly, Mother Nature played a huge part in that game, as it was held in Gillette Stadium under adverse weather conditions. I'm not saying that the Pats didn't dominate that game, as they did, but over the years, Peyton hasn't fared as well outside of his protective little dome as he has inside of it.

In last year's playoff game against the Colts, the Steelers marched into the Colts' backyard and totally dominated the Colts and Peyton Manning from start to finish. Had it not been for a bad call on the Polamalu INT, the fumble and THE TACKLE, that game was over before the first half.
You are quite correct - it was tough conditions for throwing that day in Gillette.

Thats a good point, that i'll concede that Peyton historically struggles more outside his dome and that the Steelers had a tougher job containing him.

NM
Old 07-08-2006, 04:36 AM   #43
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
Dude the Steelers defense went into the RCA Dome and held the Colts offense to 18 points and won the game. Thats all I care about. Early in that game the Steelers defense did dominate the Colts offense and Peyton Manning. Peyton did find a rythem late in the 3rd quarter and fourth quarter. But thats to be expected with that much talent the Colts have on offense and the fact the Colts were playing in the nice comfort of the RCA Dome.
Thats another fair point.

The conditions make the comparison a little unfair - i'll hold my hand up to that one.

Sometimes I dont see the woods through the stats

NM