Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #21
GoFor6
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2352
Default Re: Scoring a Safety on a Try for 1 point

Ambridge said: Under NFL rules, an unsuccessful try-for-point is dead if kicked, but while attempting a two-point try, it is possible for a safety to be ruled if the defensive team forces the ball back into their own end zone and they recover. One point would be awarded, instead of the two points that are normally awarded for safeties.

NFL Rules: Try
1. After a touchdown, the scoring team is allowed a try during one scrimmage down. The ball may be spotted anywhere between the inbounds lines, two or more yards from the goal line. The successful conversion counts one point by kick; two points for a successful conversion by touchdown; or one point for a safety.
2. The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over.
3. Any distance penalty for fouls committed by the defense that prevent the try from being attempted can be enforced on the succeeding try or succeeding kickoff. Any foul committed on a successful try will result in a distance penalty being assessed on the ensuing kickoff.
4. Only the fumbling player can recover and advance a fumble during a try.

In your scenerio Rule 4 would be in effect thus no point. Rule 2 eliminates any scoring on the opposite endzone safety or defensive td.

It came up to the rules committee in 1998 to allow defensive TD's but the traditional of the "Try" versus a "Play" is that it is a 1 down "free" opportunity for the offense to score additional points and they do not want to turn the Try into a play.

I would like to see an automatic minimum 5 seconds off the clock on Try's and field goal attempts. Some have questioned why a player just doesn't run around during a Try to kill the clock or even during a play near the end of game. It is my understanding that this is not allowed and the referree can call either a delay of game penalty or an unsportsman like conduct on the QB (no matter who delays the game).
GoFor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #22
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

i deleted this post my self because i quoted college rules and not NFL rules. my fault and i am sorry. i did however search for almost 1 hour and it took me forever to find anything on this. let's hear it for obscure rules. :)

Last edited by Indy_Steelers; 07-06-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Indy_Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #23
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy71
but you never quoted specific rules and i did. i think you are going of of hear say. the rule i quoted and the example clearly says that the ball is not dead on a turnover. and it stated a specific example of when this happened. so if the situation has happened then clearly the ball is not dead on a turnover.

Texas A&M and Texas???

College rules differ from NFL rules...I know in college a team can return a turnover for points during a 2pt conversion...this is not true in the NFL....
Old 07-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #24
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

ok, ik think i have found out the confusion. nfl and college rules are getting mixed here.
in the NFL the play is dead and in college it is not. i do not have the exact rule but it is from a good source. this would be why my example is from a gollege game and not NFL and why it has not happened in the NFL. so there was a little confusion on my part. i do think that the NFL should adopt the college rule. and on a side note they should also adopt the OT rules.

Last edited by Indy_Steelers; 07-06-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Indy_Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:52 AM   #25
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor6
Ambridge said: Under NFL rules, an unsuccessful try-for-point is dead if kicked, but while attempting a two-point try, it is possible for a safety to be ruled if the defensive team forces the ball back into their own end zone and they recover. One point would be awarded, instead of the two points that are normally awarded for safeties.

NFL Rules: Try
1. After a touchdown, the scoring team is allowed a try during one scrimmage down. The ball may be spotted anywhere between the inbounds lines, two or more yards from the goal line. The successful conversion counts one point by kick; two points for a successful conversion by touchdown; or one point for a safety.
2. The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over.
3. Any distance penalty for fouls committed by the defense that prevent the try from being attempted can be enforced on the succeeding try or succeeding kickoff. Any foul committed on a successful try will result in a distance penalty being assessed on the ensuing kickoff.
4. Only the fumbling player can recover and advance a fumble during a try.

In your scenerio Rule 4 would be in effect thus no point. Rule 2 eliminates any scoring on the opposite endzone safety or defensive td.
There must be some wiggle room in the interpretation:
Under NFL rules, an unsuccessful try-for-point is dead if kicked, but while attempting a two-point try, it is possible for a safety to be ruled if the defensive team forces the ball back into their own end zone and they recover. One point would be awarded, instead of the two points that are normally awarded for safeties.

The above isn't my personal interpretation of the rule but that of well known former NFL Official Jerry Markbreit.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #26
GoFor6
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Which endzone is Jerry calling the "defense's own endzone". Is it the one 3 yards behind the defense or the one 97 yards in front of the defense? Then I can reply.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #27
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Well, from the sounds of it, once the D gains possession, the play is dead, so technically, they cannot fumble, because you have to have possession to fumble. They keep saying one point for a safety, so they only way I could imagine 1 point being awarded is if the Offense somehow gets pushed back 97 yards and then get downed in the endzone .... but I also thought I read somehwere that the D cannot get points on this try, so I dunno.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #28
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Markbreit didn't specify the endzone but going from his exact words:

is possible for a safety to be ruled if the defensive team forces the ball back into their own end zone and they recover.

Since the defense always defends their own endzone I would assume that's the one he is talking about.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #29
GoFor6
Draft Prospect
Supporter

If you quoted him correctly, Jerry is dead wrong no matter what the scenerio. It is direct violations of the Safety and Try rules. I have written to Jerry at the Chicago Tribune where he writes an article answering rules questions. If he responds I will share his answer when I get it.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #30
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....eref-headlines

The Chicago Tribune is where I got Jerry's answer at.
The original question is for the NCAA One point safety that occured in the Texas/Texas AM game a couple of years back........but he goes on to explain the NFL rule as well.