Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,442 Times in 1,388 Posts
Default Mike Evans

I'm all in on this guy. Almost every mock draft I've seen has us taking either a tackle or Sammy Watkins, but Mike's size is something we've desperately needed for years, and will complement Antonio's emergence as a soon-to-be elite wide receiver.

So, I was reading about the top WR prospects in the coming draft on Bleacher Report (solid source of information, I know), and despite the knocks on the guy (which can be worked on), something stood out to me:

Quote:
If your taste leans more toward a big wide receiver, Texas A&M wide out Mike Evans might be more your cup of tea. Evans measures up at 6'5" and 225 pounds. Evans certainly passes the eyeball test.

Evans has long arms and a massive catch radius. Often at Texas A&M Evans was on the other end of a jump ball type of throw, where he could simply overpower the defender.

Many of Evans' other catches came when he had to come back to the football when quarterback Johnny Manziel extends the play with his legs. This ability to adjust to the play, never give up on the route and work with his receiver is a huge plus for Evans.

Everything about Evans isn't positive, however. Evans size means he struggles to get separation in the route and so he will need to improve his concentration when making the contested catch. Shockingly enough, Evans made a huge percentage of his catches with very little interference from defenders.

Evans is also going to need to time well. A low number in the 40-yard dash will help ease any concerns about his long speed. We've all seen these oversized wide outs who can't translate to the NFL.
Now, what quarterback has been known for those kinds of plays more than anyone in the past 10 years?

Hint: His name starts with 'B', and ends with

'en Roethlisberger'.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,119 Times in 536 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Mike Evans

I'm all in on him too. I was ALL in on him midseason when our offense was pure shit but as the offense got better and the defense continued to suck I shifted more into the Louis Nix camp, but I'd be fine with either.

Every time I've ever watched Mike Evans he is uncover-able. He's not the most consistent, but neither are most NFL receivers, in fact we've been blessed with Antonio Brown having one of the most consistent season ever. But back to my main point, watching Evans play is breathtaking, I haven't seen a more truly dominant receiver at any level of the game not named Calvin Johnson. This dude TAKES OVER games, and can do everything. While his specialty is jumping and out-muscling corners for the ball, he has the speed and route running ability to be a downfield threat or take a screen pass the distance. And as you mentioned, he's already FANTASTIC when the play breaks down at coming back to the quarterback and getting open and to adjusting to the throw. He's pretty much everything we always say we need in a receiver rolled into one awesome package. And the best part is, he's new to the game and is this dominant already, and is only going to get better as his knowledge and experience with football increases.

My preference for an offensive draft pick is Evans as the size and physicality element has been lacking from this offense for the entirety of Ben's career, but wouldn't be upset with Sammy Watkins either, who has had a fantastic college career and would also bring an explosive dimension the offense hasn't truly had since Mike Wallace. Either of them will be stars in the NFL.

Right now, I'd rank my (realistic, excluding the guys who have no chance at falling) big board as:

1A. Louis Nix
1B. Mike Evans
2. Sammy Watkins
3. CJ Mosley
4. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
5. Darqueze Dennard
6. Eric Ebron

(In case you can't tell I'm not a fan of an OT in round 1)
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Bane (12-30-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Sammy Watkins fits this offense sooo well ... His speed is mike wallaceesque , better route runner (although lazy ay times) ... And his run after the catch is exactly what Todd Haley wants

Mike Wallace speed , with AB like run after the catch , not to mention great hands , and not like he's some small receiver 6' or 6'1 ish if I'm not mistaken

Honestly I'm not a huge mike Evans fan ... Hes got David Boston written all over him too me

1a - Sammy Watkins
1b - Kelvin Benjamin

2 - marquise lee
2b - Jordan mathews

3a - Penn state WR , name is escaping me right now
3b - Mike Evans
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,691 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I wouldn't mind seeing Ben finally get a dominant tall WR. That's something this offense has been sorely lacking for years. A Calvin Johnson-Demaryius Thomas kind of guy would be very nice.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

The only question at this point is where the Steelers will be drafting. If we make the playoffs, we may be drafting too low for him.
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote