Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #81
Cherinko
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5744
Default Re: Swap Woodley for Clowney

While we're at it how abut we trade Sanders for AJ Green or Foote for Luke Kuechly?

Trades take two to tango. Nobody is going to give us Clowney or the equivalent near top draft pick for an over the hill linebacker who hasn't done squat since his new contract.
Cherinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #82
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,792 Times in 842 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
You a car salesman by any chance?
Nope. Just a huge Mopar guy. Love my Mopars both Classic and Modern.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-28-2013), wootawnee (01-02-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #83
Black Gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25445

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL Riddy View Post
I know it sounds like a stretch, but it could happen. The Steelers need to take a risk if they have a decent enough draft pick (probably will need top-10).

I haven't given up on this season nor this defense, but its an interesting contingency plan.

http://thegoalpostjournal.com/bad-se...ey-expendable/

Thoughts?
Thanks for the reading and looks like you got a few people here talking.
I'm afraid, I don't agree with the article as I don't see that it's something we'd want to do or could do.

Don't think we can do it, as we don't have a 3rd and are too high in the draft for the trade value.
Don't think we want to do it, as we have invested heavily in the position already, and Clowney would be a transition player with bad character traits.
harrison'samonster (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #84
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

these posts are silly, at best. Clowney will be LONGGGGGGGGG gone before there's even any talk of him around these parts.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRH For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-28-2013), NSMaster56 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #85
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by LgFriess View Post
This guy is a disaster waiting to happen. There is no way he'll ever end up a Steeler. Too many character questions piling up already. If he thinks these speeding tickets are just costing him money from a traffic ticket, boy is he going to be surprised as his draft stock plummets.
Yeah nobody gets speeding tickets anymore. Only bad seeds do.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #86
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
They game planned for Clowney and shut him down. I'm not talking about they put a TE and RB to help chip, either - they used a Tackle and a Guard on Clowney and would often times throw the ball quickly and away from wherever he was to negate his pass rush. Now, there are legitimate concerns about whether or not he was giving full effort this year, but those concerns are going to be silenced when you put on his 2012 film and watch him at this years combine. For anyone to say "well, he didn't have 'x' sacks" shows that people didn't watch him play and are going by a stat line. Whether or not he'd fit into our defense is questionable, but if he's on the board I run to the podium with his name on our card. I'd find a place for Clowney in our defense.
Well said. Anyone who watched him this year knows he's still a force.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #87
Steeldude
Living Legend

So the reason some fans do not want Clowney is because he is lazy? Uh...Woodley is not exactly a hard worker. He's lazy on and off the field. Coming into camp at 290 is not a sign of hard work. Loafing around on the field isn't what I would call effort.

Can Clowney play OLB? He seems athletic enough. He's too small to play DE in the Steelers 3-4, IMO.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #88
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

This isn't one of the Steelers main needs IMO. They drafted a top tier OLB last year and now I think Worilds is ready. We should sign Worilds and play he and Jones next year and let Woodley walk. Same with the O line IMO. We've spent the draft picks the last few years. Now let them play and hopefully stay healthy. Focus the draft with BPA around our need positions, which are the following in order of importance.

Safety
Corner
TE
NT
ILB
WR
DE

I actually think we are set at QB, RB, Oline, OLB.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelerchad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #89
LgFriess
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18715
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Yeah nobody gets speeding tickets anymore. Only bad seeds do.
Yep, that's the only reason I'm worried about his character. A speeding ticket. No other warning signs here... move along.
LgFriess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #90
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,281 Times in 4,395 Posts
My Mood: Worried

2014 NFL Draft: Scout compares Jadeveon Clowney to Randy Moss

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
January 1, 2014

Jadeveon Clowney's effort and overall passion have been questioned by pro scouts.

A move that shouldn't shock anyone, South Carolina junior pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney will skip his senior season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. He made the declaration moments after the Gamecocks' bowl victory over Wisconsin on Wednesday.

Clowney is rated as the No. 1 defensive end prospect for the 2014 NFL Draft and the No. 2 overall player in this year's class. Only Texas A&M senior offensive tackle Jake Matthews is currently rated above him. It would be considered a shock if Clowney fell out of the top-five picks on draft day.

Arguably the most talented NFL prospect in this class or in recent years, Clowney is a freak athlete for his size (6-5, 275) with above average first step quickness and the ability to convert speed to power. His burst, flexibility and overall strength are outstanding and allow him to make an impact as both a run blocker and pass rusher. Although his production was down in 2013 (only 3 sacks compared to 13 last year), Clowney's impact cannot be fully appreciated in the stat sheet as he often was double-teamed and received special treatment from opposing offenses who left a tight end or running back on his side of the field.

But despite the immense natural talent, Clowney is not a flawless prospect and there will be several questions that he'll need to answer during the pre-draft process. His effort and overall passion have been questioned by scouts and it's something that has shown on tape.

“He's a modern day Randy Moss,” said an AFC East scout on Clowney. “J.C. doesn't have the same type of criminal background as Randy did when he was his age, but the dependence on natural talent and problematic effort concerns are very similar. Difference is, Clowney won't fall out of the top-seven like Randy did.”

The “effort” concerns don't exist because his statistics dipped in 2013 compared to last season, but rather because he appeared tentative and fatigued too often during his junior year. Was he playing not to get hurt or are there legitimate effort concerns?

“In high school, he was the best player on the field. Same in the SEC,” the scout added. “But he needs to realize that won't be the case in the league. If he wants to have a career longer than a few seasons, the kid needs to wake up, add some glass to his diet and understand that it'll take a lot more work during the week.”

Clowney also battled a foot injury throughout the season and despite saying on Wednesday that he had “no plans” for surgery, it's something to monitor.

A native of Rock Hill, S.C. where he attended South Pointe High School, Clowney was the crown jewel recruit when he arrived at South Carolina and his legend seemed to grow more and more, eventually getting to the point where it was impossible for him to live up to the hype. His “football character” will likely be a hot topic over the next few months, but it should also be noted that he plays a position where concerns in that area aren't as magnified for NFL teams like they would be if he played quarterback.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...-to-randy-moss