Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #11
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,788 Times in 842 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Ray Lewis vs. London Fletcher

Fletcher should be a first ballot Hall of Famer ahead of Ray Lewis. Sadly he won't be because he just isn't the self promoting, egomaniac that Ray Lewis is. Proof is in the pudding. Ray Lewis 12x Pro Bowler, London Fletcher 3x.... How in the hell does a guy like Fletcher only make the Pro Bowl 3x and Ray Lewis gets in there 12x?

Fletcher truly doesn't get enough credit for his accomplishments. They talk about him being old reliable but he doesn't even get mentioned on the same level as Ray Lewis despite putting up comparable statistics.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
GodfatherofSoul (12-27-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I hear the "impact" argument all the time. To that I always respond with, "Who lined up alongside Ray Lewis?"

Everyone knows who they are: Reed, Suggs, Ngata, McAllister, Boulware, Woodson, Thomas, to name a few.

Then, I'll ask the same for Fletcher. And I always get this:

"... "
It seems natural that Lewis and his teammates are better known than Fletcher and his. The Ravens were a strong team through pretty much all of Lewis' career, and one famed for their defence. The Redskins, on the other hand, were a bad team and famed for their ridiculous, free-agent hunting ownership. The guys that lined up next to Fletcher were a rotating cast of midcard guys like Sean Taylor and LeRon Landry and a few big name free agents. Nobody was ever there for most of their career like the big-name Ravens.

I give Ray Lewis credit for making a lot of guys a lot of money. The other ILB in the Ravens 3-4 always signed a big free agent deal and then showed that they were a product of playing next to an all-time great. Ed Hartwell, Bart Scptt. even Tavares Gooden did OK. I don't know how much to credit him with the deals that guys like Jarrett Johnson, Adelius Thomas and Paul Kruger got, but it's funny how Ravens linebackers aren't ever the same after they leave the team.
sw04ca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sw04ca For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,437 Times in 4,037 Posts

1. Fletcher
2. Urlacher
3. Lewis

At the end of their respective careers, Bowman, Willis and Kuechly are going to be ahead of Lewis as well.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Fletcher should be a first ballot Hall of Famer ahead of Ray Lewis. Sadly he won't be because he just isn't the self promoting, egomaniac that Ray Lewis is. Proof is in the pudding. Ray Lewis 12x Pro Bowler, London Fletcher 3x.... How in the hell does a guy like Fletcher only make the Pro Bowl 3x and Ray Lewis gets in there 12x?

Fletcher truly doesn't get enough credit for his accomplishments. They talk about him being old reliable but he doesn't even get mentioned on the same level as Ray Lewis despite putting up comparable statistics.
I think the problem with Fletcher getting to the Pro Bowl is that he played for a dismal team, and Brian Urlacher permanently occupied one of the two NFC MLB spots for a fair chunk of Fletcher's career. But yeah, Fletcher deserves a lot more recognition than he got throughout his career. It's a shame that it took until the end of his career before people started to realize what a special player and sterling professional he was.
harrison'samonster (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
1. Fletcher
2. Urlacher
3. Lewis

At the end of their respective careers, Bowman, Willis and Kuechly are going to be ahead of Lewis as well.
On the field there were probably at least 20 guys better than Lewis at the end of his career. But give him credit, the guy could really motivate. And that's why I put him above Fletcher or Urlacher.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,437 Times in 4,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw04ca View Post
On the field there were probably at least 20 guys better than Lewis at the end of his career. But give him credit, the guy could really motivate. And that's why I put him above Fletcher or Urlacher.
I'm talking in their primes. I'd take Fletcher and Urlacher over Lewis in the '00s. While he was an incredible motivator, Ray hindered the Ravens defense for the last few years he was on it.

When it's all said and done, I honestly think Bowman, Willis and Kuechly are going to be ahead of him. Our breed of Linebackers are just better than they were even 15 years ago when Fletcher was drafted.

I think it's fair to say that all three of those guys (London, Brian and Ray) were all fantastic players and deserve the recognition they get or in London's case, never got.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

I don't know...do "best of all time" players get repeatedly knocked on their ass by undrafted free agent FBs?

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I don't know...do "best of all time" players get repeatedly knocked on their ass by undrafted free agent FBs?
Of course. Why wouldn't they? They're men, not gods. The only players that don't get knocked on their ass anymore are guys like Brady who the league has decided to protect for marketing reasons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sw04ca For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (12-31-2013), NSMaster56 (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I'm talking in their primes. I'd take Fletcher and Urlacher over Lewis in the '00s. While he was an incredible motivator, Ray hindered the Ravens defense for the last few years he was on it.

When it's all said and done, I honestly think Bowman, Willis and Kuechly are going to be ahead of him. Our breed of Linebackers are just better than they were even 15 years ago when Fletcher was drafted.

I think it's fair to say that all three of those guys (London, Brian and Ray) were all fantastic players and deserve the recognition they get or in London's case, never got.
I don't know. Ray at his height was a truly great player. I guess it's hard to compare them, with their different situations. And that's going to go double for the modern guys. The 2000s linebackers made their bones blowing up RBs at the line of scrimmage. In the new, passing-driven low-contact league the demands placed on linebackers are going to be different.