Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #41
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Angry
Default Re: I don't know what to think about Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewniorGong View Post
QBs can come in and play competently, even excellently, in year 1. No need to draft one until we need to.
BB is injury prone going into his 11th season,how many more seasons can the Steelers expect from him? Ben is a great QB but is closing in on his last seasons
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #42
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,061 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
BB is injury prone going into his 11th season,how many more seasons can the Steelers expect from him? Ben is a great QB but is closing in on his last seasons
He didn't miss a single snap this past season. From my count, he's only missed 9 starts due to on-field injuries: 4 in 2005, 1 in 2009, 1 in 2011 (which he probably could have played if the game weren't against a weak opponent, the Rams), and 3 in 2012. I could see him going 5 more seasons.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neil-Still-Rules-14 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-02-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 AM   #43
pitt0wns
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15034

I think our offense is going in the right direction now. Bell is going to be killer for us if he stays healthy.

Our biggest problem is our D and the reason why we're not in the playoffs. They could _never_ make key stops when the game was on the line. They just let the other team march down the field with ease. It doesn't matter it was a rookie qb or Brady. Also we couldn't stop the run for our lives this year.

I think LeBeau needs to go. Love the guy but I think we need a change there.

on the + side Ben made it through the season and it didn't seem like he took the hits that he took in the past.
pitt0wns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pitt0wns For This Useful Post:
Steelersfan1 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #44
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

Member Number: 25703

I meant I love the DL.

but he really went through a transition this year with some of his reliable vets aging out.

Iom he always gets more the sum of the parts then the individual parts.

that defense really didn't have as much talentor experience is it has had past years.

QUOTE=pitt0wns;1246726]I think our offense is going in the right direction now. Bell is going to be killer for us if he stays healthy.

Our biggest problem is our D and the reason why we're not in the playoffs. They could _never_ make key stops when the game was on the line. They just let the other team march down the field with ease. It doesn't matter it was a rookie qb or Brady. Also we couldn't stop the run for our lives this year.

I think LeBeau needs to go. Love the guy but I think we need a change there.

on the + side Ben made it through the season and it didn't seem like he took the hits that he took in the past.[/QUOTE]
Steelersfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #45
BowCatShot
Banned

Member Number: 24236

"Mike Tomlin has never had a team where he lost the locker room or in the least it wasn't made known to the public."

Yes he did too.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #46
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

I think the little sly grin Tomlin flashed on the sideline after the incident vs Ravens characterizes him a bit. I don't think he is that good of a coach, but you can't really prove it. So he flashes that grin and the debate continues...
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #47
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,743 Times in 4,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
I think the little sly grin Tomlin flashed on the sideline after the incident vs Ravens characterizes him a bit. I don't think he is that good of a coach, but you can't really prove it. So he flashes that grin and the debate continues...
that wasn't a sly grin. He was laughing along with the vets on the sideline about what had just happened, along with the Ravens playing it on the jumbotron for the whole commercial break.
Buddha Bus (01-04-2014), Lady Steel (01-04-2014), SteelersCanada (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #48
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,595 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
And I've had this argument endlessly with dozens on here. Given that coordinators don't actually play on the field, all you can judge them on are tendencies or patterns. That is, by the end of the season you should have a fairly accurate picture of how they prepared their team. And by the end of a decade the picture should be that much clearer.

I also like how he gets crap for not playing young guys, and yet clearly and demonstrably that was a profound error this year, and contributed to several of our early losses.
This is why I was never fully on board with the fire Haley stuff. We were league leaders (or very close) in turning the ball over in those first 4 games. No turnover is on the OC and a good portion of the turnovers are essentially what cost us those games.

As for the Tomlin topic overall here are my overall thoughts on him.

- I like him. I have said this many times and have never claimed otherwise. I think he is a stand up guy and I love how much he loves football. He is also did that thing for the crossing guard which was pretty cool.

- When I say I think he is a mediocre HC I am not looking at record. I am looking at different decisions we could actually see throughout the season. So I don't necessarily agree with the whole "we turned the season around so all is forgiven". During the turnaround is where he made 2 of his worst decisions. I know some won't agree that they were bad and that is fine but I do. So yeah, he deserves some credit for not losing the team completely but he was still making bad decisions as an HC and should be judged accordingly.

- I don't think he should be fired. As many have pointed out we have a history of sticking with coaches and it has worked out in the past. I think it should be fair to discuss it though based on the bad decisions we have seen him make consistently the last couple of years as well as his poor clock management. I think he at least should have 2 more years. If they are both non playoff years it is time for the discussion to get really serious. If one of them is actually a losing season the same applies.

- I am rooting for him with everything I have. I don't know how some people could hate someone so much that they would wish failure upon them which would hurt the team they claim to be a fun of. So just remember while I judge quite harshly I am still pulling for these guys 110%

I hope Tomlin goes down as the greatest HC in the history of the NFL and they rename the Lombardi trophy after him and you can all tell me just how stupid I was.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #49
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,411 Times in 4,679 Posts

The amount of stupidity in this thread is baffling. I honestly don't even know what to say for about half the posts. It's just so bad. So very, very bad.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-04-2014), The_Joker (01-04-2014)