Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #21
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,128 Times in 1,982 Posts
My Mood: Angelic
Default Re: Money Isn't Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
So my wife and I have decided to make some big changes in our lives. She just graduated from Northern Illinois University with a BA in Psychology. Our original plan was for her to get a full-time job once she graduated and I would make the 1.5 hour journey to NIU to finish my degree. However, her final year at school went so well it's caused a change of plans. Several of her professors thought she would do extraordinarily well in graduate school.
She has applied for the Masters program at NIU in Sociology and I have applied for a BS in Sociology (I already have an AA in General Education). We're planning on selling our home so that we can move closer to campus, and I will be quitting my (well-paying, but soul-sucking) job as it would be much too far away and I wouldn't have the time to work there and go to school. I'm also looking to get out of IT so that I can do something in the non-profit sector.
We will most likely be living off of whatever profit we make from selling our home, shitty local jobs, and student loans. Our standard of living will become much lower than it currently is, but we believe that in the long run, our lives will be much better for it. Has anyone else taken a big risk for their future? If so, do you have any advice or anecdotes that will keep me from worrying all of the time?
It's very obvious you and your wife have a very loving and supportive relationship. That, in and of itself, is priceless.

Nothing worth having comes easy. With a lot of hard work and determination, you will both ultimately realize your dreams.

Please extend my congratulations to your wife on her achievement. Good luck and best wishes, Jon.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (01-04-2014), The_Joker (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 04:58 AM   #22
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,547 Times in 703 Posts

You can always stick to the baseline strategies:

I also recommend this:

Quote:
@JonM229

Anecdote: My aunt & uncle raised four kids in a one-bedroom house. Yet, they were the happiest, most close-knit family I know of. Epilogue: Two are now lawyers, one is an assistant superintendent, and the fourth is a nurse.

My father gave me career advice as a young man: "Do what you like, and you'll never have to 'work' a day in your life; the pay is a bonus." You will be doing something that you like, and also will be (eventually) getting paid for it.

Lastly, if you became a Steelers fan, it might your life a whole lot let stressful. I'm just saying...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!

Last edited by SteelerEmpire; 01-04-2014 at 05:11 AM.
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #23
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,547 Times in 703 Posts

Oh yea J. I forgot you were going through this transition. You might want to take a look at some of the online stuff. Here's a copy of a post I made:

Quote:
My lil nephew (who's 11) makes on average of around $1,800 a month doing this stuff off of the computer I bought him for his birthday this time last yr (yes, he bought is "own" PS4, big screen tv, surround sound..lol) so I will personally vouch for it... just thought I'd share... PS. For Steelers fans ONLY (and perhaps a ravens and raiders fan). I have no personal affiliation with Amazon, the site in question, etc...just puttin something I know of out there...

I Need To Replace My Income!

If you're on this page, you've either been fired, laid off, looking for a career change, recently divorced, widowed or trying to get back into the work force. It really doesn't matter what the reason is...

LINK: http://www.workathomenoscams.com/i-n...#axzz2pgHhudR3

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #24
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,581 Times in 2,376 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I got out of the military because although it was a stable (money wise) job, I wanted to live in Hawaii. I had no college credits getting out of the service, so I had to start from scratch all over again at 24. For a while I was depressed because my friends and everyone else I met had their careers / jobs and life ahead of them, while I was starting over and having to live with family until I got back on my feet. It was a struggle, but worth it in the end.

It paid off, about halfway through school I got hooked up with a temp job working IT + the GI bill which allowed me to live pretty well and pay the bills. It worked out so well that they offered me a more permanent spot. I'm still working there, and life's been great.

I probably am a lot happier now than if I had stayed in the service. It wasn't necessarily a bad life, but nothing beats home. And although getting deployed was a part of the job / contract when you sign up for the military, it wasn't the most pleasant experience. I'd rather go places on my own terms and I don't think the lifestyle in the military was for me, though I don't regret joining. A lot of life experiences happened that make me appreciate life in general much more, and the GI bill paid my way through school.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (01-11-2014)