Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,241 Times in 3,619 Posts
Default Re: Former head coach Cowher: Steelers tried stealing signals, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Guys, this happened over ten years ago. It's no longer news. Nothing much good happens when you repeatedly pick at a scab.

We've all said what needs to be said about it, and any additional comment will not change the outcome of those two games, nor will it change anybody's opinion of what did or did not happen, or their feelings on the subject.
Cowher was the one that picked at it by playing the everyone does it card this week - coaches as successful as Cowher did not get that way from backing down and IMO The Jaw is doubling down on why he decided (or knew it was prudent?) not to ask Belichick about Spygate in this past Sunday's interview (on which Boomer Esiason immediately called him) and continuing to maintain Belichick is the greatest coach of all time (hard to maintain that position if the guy was a serial cheater, unlike other candidates for that title)
43Hitman (01-16-2014), Buddha Bus (01-17-2014), harrison'samonster (01-16-2014), teegre (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #22
StanDiego
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25681

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Here is an analogy that works.

Bill Cowher admits that he has driven a white Bronco above the speed limit.

So, he's essentially the same as OJ... right?
that was AC Cowlings, I don't know if he was speeding and OJ was found not guilty...so terrible analogy!

Bottom line, the Pats cheated. We don't know how often or for how long. Goodell destroyed the evidence for some unknown reason and hasn't had to really answer for it. Because of that, the patriots super bowls will always be tainted.

The oilers in 1979 stole the chargers signals and picked off Fouts 5 times in the playoffs. Although kind of slimy, that's gamesmanship and opposing teams have to account for that. I mean there are all these code names in plays for this very reason. Ben isn't going to the line of scrimmage saying, fake handoff to bell! fake handoff to Bell, pass to brown on a go route! set hike! But you shouldn't have to hire a security team during a practice to make sure some freak isn't hiding in the bushes filming all of your plays that they are practicing against you.

The AFC and the superbowl NFC teams got screwed over (perhaps) because the patriots decided to act like total slimeballs in a win at all costs mentality that went above and beyond playing the game. I think its fine that 10 years later people are still talking about it and putting up an asterisk next to those "championships". While we're at it, put one next to the broncos 2 championships and the 49ers 1994 title for cheating the salary cap.

just my 2 cents.
StanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StanDiego For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-16-2014), Atlanta Dan (01-16-2014), Buddha Bus (01-17-2014), harrison'samonster (01-16-2014), Lady Steel (01-16-2014), NSMaster56 (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,561 Times in 2,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
While we're at it, put one next to the broncos 2 championships and the 49ers 1994 title for cheating the salary cap.
Excellent, excellent point.

Two of the most under covered/discussed NFL transgressions of the last 20 years.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-16-2014), harrison'samonster (01-16-2014), VaDave (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
that was AC Cowlings, I don't know if he was speeding and OJ was found not guilty...so terrible analogy!

Bottom line, the Pats cheated. We don't know how often or for how long. Goodell destroyed the evidence for some unknown reason and hasn't had to really answer for it. Because of that, the patriots super bowls will always be tainted.

The oilers in 1979 stole the chargers signals and picked off Fouts 5 times in the playoffs. Although kind of slimy, that's gamesmanship and opposing teams have to account for that. I mean there are all these code names in plays for this very reason. Ben isn't going to the line of scrimmage saying, fake handoff to bell! fake handoff to Bell, pass to brown on a go route! set hike! But you shouldn't have to hire a security team during a practice to make sure some freak isn't hiding in the bushes filming all of your plays that they are practicing against you.

The AFC and the superbowl NFC teams got screwed over (perhaps) because the patriots decided to act like total slimeballs in a win at all costs mentality that went above and beyond playing the game. I think its fine that 10 years later people are still talking about it and putting up an asterisk next to those "championships". While we're at it, put one next to the broncos 2 championships and the 49ers 1994 title for cheating the salary cap.

just my 2 cents.
Great call - DeBartolo being one of the final 15 finalists for the HOF given Goodell's contention protecting The Shield extends to both on and off the field conduct (in addition to gaming the salary cap Eddie D is a convicted felon) is amazing
harrison'samonster (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,785 Times in 9,317 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Eh... the point is the same: everyone is comparing a minor offense (stealing signals, speeding) with a major offense (taping walkthroughs, murder).

The two infractions are not the same.

Sure, Cowher tried to steal signals. So did every other coach. But, they did not tape other teams' walkthroughs.

btw... in defense of my analogy: the Taperiots, like OJ, got away with their transgressions: the Taperiots only received a minor slap on the wrist, but were not punished accordingly for taping the walkthroughs. OJ was only forced (civil court) to pay some money, but did not go to jail for murder.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-17-2014), harrison'samonster (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #26
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,163 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Great call - DeBartolo being one of the final 15 finalists for the HOF given Goodell's contention protecting The Shield extends to both on and off the field conduct (in addition to gaming the salary cap Eddie D is a convicted felon) is amazing
I vividly recall watching the locker room coverage after the Niners first SB win back in '82 and my mother remarking that DeBartolo looked like a Mafioso.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-16-2014), harrison'samonster (01-16-2014), NSMaster56 (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #27
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,097 Times in 943 Posts

Why is Cowher on a crusade to justify an illegal act by Bill B. by fundamentally making himself look guilty (to an extent) ? What could he possibly stand to gain ? I never saw Bill B. praising any Steelers coaches. Wish they would ask Hines Ward (and many others) the same question. Time for Cowher to drop this subject...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-16-2014), Lady Steel (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,964 Posts

Pittsburgh Signal Steelers???

Say it ain't so, Bill!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,413 Times in 3,094 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

0 super bowl wins since spygate

/thread
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-17-2014), harrison'samonster (01-16-2014), Lady Steel (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I vividly recall watching the locker room coverage after the Niners first SB win back in '82 and my mother remarking that DeBartolo looked like a Mafioso.
Having a separate section of your Wikipedia bio devoted to "Legal Troubles" is never a good thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_J._DeBartolo,_Jr.
harrison'samonster (01-16-2014), NSMaster56 (01-16-2014)