Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #41
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,450 Times in 10,326 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Wes Welker fires 1st shot (at Richard Sherman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Seattle plays 3-deep coverage, and Sherman is almost always on the left side. I don't think the Hawks will take the bait from the midget.
Yeah... we covered that.

Still, it was worth a shot.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-29-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #42
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

I am becoming a Marshawn Lynch fan

This excerpt from an interview with SI.com yesterday

Would you say the Ghost Ride on the injury cart was your favorite college experience?

Lynch: My favorite college experience was probably leaving college. But the Ghost Ride was up there, too....

Do you have a dog now?

Lynch: I do

SI.com: What’s its name?

Lynch: Ice.

SI.com: What does he do while you play? Does he watch your games?

Lynch: Haha no. He’s out doing his doggie dog thing, living in his doggie dog world. You feel me?

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/01/3...iew/?eref=sihp

The Ghost Ride was when Marshawn drove the injury cart around the field after an OT win in college

When the University of California's football team defeated Washington in a stunning 31-24 overtime thriller last fall, All-American running back Marshawn Lynch felt the need to celebrate.

Normally shy and stoic, Lynch didn't just clap his hands or whoop with joy. Instead, he hopped into a vacant injury cart and maniacally drove around the turf as players, coaches and refs jumped out of his zigzagging path. Meanwhile, the sold out crowd roared with delight. Lynch's stunt made for national news, and became a staple in year-end college football montages.

Following the exhibition, Lynch clarified his intentions:

"That's how we do it here in Oaktown," he told SI's Michael Silver after the game.

"I was gonna ghost ride it for a minute at the end, but it ain't got no neutral, so it would've just kept rollin'. So I just did that move."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...6/ghostriding/

harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), NSMaster56 (01-30-2014), teegre (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #43
GodfatherofSoul
Team President
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Candy Crush Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,212 Posts

There was a great exchange on NFL network between Irvin, Sanders, and Rich Eisen about the interview obligations that players have and why guys like Lynch have no trust or interest in doing them. The fans could give a damn about obligated interviews (Seahawks fans have even paid Lynch's fines!) but the media types think of themselves as the only worthy conduits between players and fans. Sanders made the point that Lynch has been burned by the media (quotes out of context or even made up) so much that he only trusts certain people and that most interviewers are self-serving; e.g. trying to get something out of players that very often isn't in that player's interest, even if it means skewing what he said. You see this a lot in yes/no questions that are then attributed to the player. Hypothetical:

Media: "Would you say that you can beat Seattle's defense?"
Receiver: "Yes, "
Headline: "Receiver says he's better than Seattle defense!"

That segment was immediately followed up by Eisen (whose opinion seemed to have changed) asking his next panel of dedicated journalists and their answers reinforced what Sanders was saying.
harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), NSMaster56 (01-30-2014), teegre (01-30-2014), zcoop (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #44
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Maybe Sherman has gotten in Peyton's head. The first step is drawing return fire to your darts

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning throws "ducks." And Thursday, had Sherman been in the room, he would have seen a rather prominent Broncos player agree with him.

That would be Manning.

"They say he's a smart player, and I don't think that's a real reach what he's saying there," Manning said Thursday morning. "I do throw ducks. I've thrown a lot of yards and touchdown ducks, so I'm actually quite proud of it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...ouchdown-ducks
harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), JonM229 (01-30-2014), teegre (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #45
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
There was a great exchange on NFL network between Irvin, Sanders, and Rich Eisen about the interview obligations that players have and why guys like Lynch have no trust or interest in doing them. The fans could give a damn about obligated interviews (Seahawks fans have even paid Lynch's fines!) but the media types think of themselves as the only worthy conduits between players and fans.
Agreed

Writers have filed a complaint regarding Lynch failing to sit at the podium for an hour this past Tuesday.

The Pro Football Writers of America, the official voice of pro football writers fighting and promoting for access to NFL personnel to best serve the public, is extremely disappointed in the lack of meaningful access to Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch at the Super Bowl XLVIII media day on Tuesday.

Several of our long-standing and high profile members were appalled by Mr. Lynch’s conduct and refusal to answer any questions

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2...navailability/

Well if several "high profile" football writers are appalled by Lynch not jumping at the chance to talk with them in their quest to "best serve the public" I guess that settles that
GodfatherofSoul (01-30-2014), harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), JonM229 (01-30-2014), teegre (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #46
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Marshawn Lynch is on a roll for someone who does not like to talk

Agree with Tony's assessment that Lynch in a lot of ways has the same approach as James Harrison to this
GodfatherofSoul (01-30-2014), harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), JonM229 (01-30-2014), NSMaster56 (01-31-2014), teegre (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #47
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,881 Times in 4,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Marshawn Lynch is on a roll for someone who does not like to talk

i like lynch. he is straight up hood, and thats not a bad thing. but it is his reality, a reality most people dont, wont, and cant understand.

all those wanting to ask him questions dont even speak his language, and his answers are something they dont want to hear.

and he knows this. but as indicated above, if you ask him a real and relevant question, you can get a real answer.

he had no problem answering d. sanders questions because he is known for "keeping it real" whereas some of these "legitimate" journalists questions are complete bullshit.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #48
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,424 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Ike Taylor calls Sherman a "good" corner....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...atch-up-top-wr

"NEW YORK -- There's a lot of talk leading up to the Super Bowl about Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman. And on radio row, plenty of current and former athletes are being asked about the alleged best corner in the game.

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor spoke with CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco and said Sherman can't call himself the best corner in the game if he's not matching up with a team's best receiver every time on the field.

"If you want to talk about stats, he has the best stats in three years, probably better than any corner who plays the game," Taylor said. "If you want to talk about being the best corner, you have to match up against the best receiver every game. For years in and years out. Not just one year but pretty much for your entire career. I've matched up since '05 and this is 2014. So until he can match up and play the team's top receiver week in and week out.

"He's a good corner ... but to say he's the best corner, you've got to humble yourself just a little bit by saying that."

Sherman's an incredible talent and he has shut down plenty of good receivers around the NFL. But Taylor is right: Sherman doesn't completely shadow every top receiver in the NFL and put them "on an island" so to speak.

Sunday will be an interesting litmus test for Sherman going forward too. If he limits what Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker do and Seattle upends the Broncos, he'll get a massive boost to his claim as top cornerback, especially if he records a few interceptions.

But if Peyton Manning torches him a few times, the opinion of Taylor and others will have a lot more weight."
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #49
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
Ike Taylor calls Sherman a "good" corner....

"If you want to talk about stats, he has the best stats in three years, probably better than any corner who plays the game," Taylor said. "If you want to talk about being the best corner, you have to match up against the best receiver every game. For years in and years out. Not just one year but pretty much for your entire career. I've matched up since '05 and this is 2014. So until he can match up and play the team's top receiver week in and week out.

"He's a good corner ... but to say he's the best corner, you've got to humble yourself just a little bit by saying that."
I guess by "stats" Ike "Hands Of Stone" Taylor means Sherman can catch the ball when he has a chance for an INT

Seahawks secondary has that ability

His initial training as a receiver may help explain why Sherman has become the best cornerback in the NFL. This year, he led the league in interceptions with eight.

As a team, the Seahawks intercepted 5.4% of the passes thrown against them this season—the best mark by any NFL team in five years.

And guess what? Sherman isn't the only former receiver among them. In fact, the Seahawks may boast the most offensive bunch of defenders in the NFL.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...45383258887914

Too bad Ike never mastered that skill over the past decade instead of saying whatever he does is the true measure of cornerback greatness - if he had learned to catch the ball IMO Ike would have been All-Pro