Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976
Default Lone Survivor Movie

I saw the movie Lone Survivor last night, thought it was great. I read the book a few years ago, and the book is better because of the detail, but I definitely recommend the movie as well. If you take a little time and research Operation Red Wings, you will quickly realize how amazing some of our military's finest truly are! The movie and the book make you realize how sheltered we are from whats really happening out in the world. to the folks that fight for us and our way of life.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VegasStlrFan For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-25-2014), Lady Steel (01-26-2014), NJarhead (01-29-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,517 Times in 4,599 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Lone Survivor Movie

God Bless them! I haven't seen the movie or read the book though.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (01-26-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasStlrFan View Post
I saw the movie Lone Survivor last night, thought it was great. I read the book a few years ago, and the book is better because of the detail, but I definitely recommend the movie as well. If you take a little time and research Operation Red Wings, you will quickly realize how amazing some of our military's finest truly are! The movie and the book make you realize how sheltered we are from whats really happening out in the world. to the folks that fight for us and our way of life.
The Red Wings was the name of my company in boot camp.

Lone Survivor is a good movie. Usually when that many SEAL's are lost in combat it's due to some upper command / intelligence error or miscalculation (it's happened before more than once). Some situations can be impossible to fight out of if your numbers are small. I would have snuffed off that guy that wondered too close to them and ended up giving their position, but that's all hindsight now.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-25-2014), Lady Steel (01-26-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
The Red Wings was the name of my company in boot camp.

Lone Survivor is a good movie. Usually when that many SEAL's are lost in combat it's due to some upper command / intelligence error or miscalculation (it's happened before more than once). Some situations can be impossible to fight out of if your numbers are small. I would have snuffed off that guy that wondered too close to them and ended up giving their position, but that's all hindsight now.
Yes for sure, a truly amazing decision. It takes someone with real integrity to do the right thing / follow orders when they basically new the ROE was setting them up for an impossible situation. Every politician should see this to understand the positions they put our troops in.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VegasStlrFan For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-25-2014), Lady Steel (01-26-2014), SteelerEmpire (01-25-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,701 Posts

Saw it with the wife last weekend. Truly a great movie. Go see it if you haven't yet.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,967 Times in 3,091 Posts
My Mood: Crappy

This whole situation could've been avoided if they just followed their training:

"If their skin is brown, put 'em in the ground"

Amirite?

...anyone?

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
fer522 (01-29-2014), SteelerEmpire (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
I would have snuffed off that guy that wondered too close to them and ended up giving their position, but that's all hindsight now.
When I saw the previews I thought this was just going to be another shoot 'em up and planned to take a pass. After reading favorable reviews I went and thought it was an excellent (given the plot enjoyable is not the word I would use) movie.

Interesting take by one blogger who was impressed by the movie on how the SEALs responded to having their position potentially being disclosed by the goatherd

What deeply impressed me about the movie was its being an antidote to Zero Dark Thirty (spoilers below).

Exposed to real danger in a way no one in Washington ever was, these soldiers were given a chance to commit a war crime to save their asses, and chose not to. They chose not to, even as they knew the consequences of abiding by the rules of combat could easily lead to their deaths ....

The movie does not shrink from pointing out how excruciating this choice was, how tempting it would have been to have killed civilians in cold blood. But it also reveals something deep about the American military character and tradition. Unlike the war criminals in Washington who tore up the Geneva Conventions as a “no-brainer”, these heroes risked and lost their lives to maintain American honor.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/...tating-trauma/

The SEAL who co-wrote the book upon which the movie was based takes a different view of what falls within the so-called rules of war.

"This entire business of modern war crimes, as identified by the liberal wings of politics and the media, began in Iraq and has been running downhill ever since. Everyone's got to have his little hands in it, blathering on about the public's right to know. Well, in the view of most Navy SEALs, the public does not have that right to know…"

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-med...ia-jake-tapper

Bottom line for me is these SEALs were heroes who put their lives on the line to serve our country.

CNN interview with Marcus Luttrell and Mark Wahlberg here

SteelerEmpire (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,288 Times in 1,824 Posts

i'd have cut those goat herders throats and not thought twice about it. they may not have been armed at the time , but does that really make them any less taliban ? the fact that they ran right back to the enemy MAKES THEM THE ENEMY. a friend and supporter of my enemies by all definition, is also the enemy.
one of my mothers favorite sayings was , "your only as good as the company you keep"

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-31-2014), MACH1 (01-31-2014), SteelerEmpire (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i'd have cut those goat herders throats and not thought twice about it. they may not have been armed at the time , but does that really make them any less taliban ? the fact that they ran right back to the enemy MAKES THEM THE ENEMY. a friend and supporter of my enemies by all definition, is also the enemy.
one of my mothers favorite sayings was , "your only as good as the company you keep"
The teenage kid ran back to the Taliban, not the old man or the boy. Honestly I commend Luttrell and the SEALs for taking the moral high ground. Ultimately it cost people their lives but they did the right thing. I'd rather do the right thing and go to my grave knowing that I didn't compromise myself or my beliefs. The decision they made is what separates us from them. Had they killed the old man and the child they would've been no better than the Taliban soldiers who were lopping off a guys head at the beginning of the movie.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-31-2014), SteelerEmpire (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 02:44 AM   #10
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,095 Posts

Obviously the pivotal moment is when they made the decision to not engage the sheep herder; an unarmed man that was not a direct threat to the SEALs. Knowing that, I think the military needs to upgrade and equalize it's rules of war because, as an example, those drone strikes "usually" take out a "lot " of innocents that have nothing to do with the main target. However, no one gets in trouble (as would have been the case with the SEALs if they took out the sheep herder) when there are casualties of people "simply standing near the desired target" (like the sheep herder). So there is definitely a contradiction in reasoning when you look at the two scenarios side by side.
It's ok for a drone (or a person sitting half way across the world) to kill an unarmed person, but not ok for a special forces soldier to kill an unarmed person. Politics...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-31-2014)