Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,129 Posts
Default Heyward: 'I just put pressure on myself'

Teresa Varley
http://www.steelers.com/news/article...d-50536c295abf

Hard work last offseason paid big dividends for defensive end Cam Heyward.

After seeing his first two seasons go by in a blur, without starting a game or seeing extensive playing time, former number one draft pick Cam Heyward knew he wanted more.
He spent the 2013 offseason committed to making sure he was ready to take the next step, spending time in the weight room, watching film, doing everything in his power to prove he was ready to be in the starting lineup. But when the season started, it wasn’t exactly what he had hoped for. He was still rotating in behind Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood at defensive end.

“I just put pressure on myself,” said Heyward. “Having those first two years go by and not playing that much, I really wanted to take advantage of the offseason and give myself a chance to take advantage of any opportunity. It didn’t start off the way I wanted but I finally got the playing time.”

Something changed after the first four games. With the team 0-4, the defense needed a shot in the arm and Heyward was given the chance to provide it, taking over at starting left defensive end for Hood.

Heyward delivered. He finished the season seventh on the team in tackles with 63, and was tied for second with linebacker LaMarr Woodley with five sacks. He also was credited with a team-high 31 quarterback pressures, making his offseason efforts pay off.

“I started to feel more comfortable, gain more confidence, better knowledge of the playbook, got stronger and faster in the weight room and took advantage of it,” said Heyward. “You get that with playing more too. Those are things I always tried to work at and I was able to do that and take advantage.”

While Heyward said he would grade himself out with a C for the season, the progress that he made since he first became a fixture in the starting lineup was definitely noticeable. He was all over the field the last few games, making a considerable impact on the defense.

“Sometimes when you first get out there you are running around like a chicken with your head cut off,” said Heyward. “I thought the game slowed down a lot more. I think one thing I noticed you get to look at formations and see what they want to run against you. You start to pick up things like that, play tendencies more, and take more risks. I was able to pick that up late.

“At first you are thinking so much your head is all over the place. Now you can play off instinct, react more. You are able to play freely and understand the game more. You are able to play faster. It’s that way with any young player. You are a much better team when you are able to do that.”
Heyward weighed in on a few other things, from sacks, to special teams to the 2013 season in general:

* On the Steelers only having 34 sacks this season: “When I heard it, it was kind of alarming. We had opportunities to get more. Teams are going to throw the ball quick on us when we bring pressure. It goes hand-in-hand. We have to continue to improve on that. We have guys coming back next year. I expect a lot out of Jarvis (Jones). We have a great group of guys and whoever is here we are going to get rolling.”

* On what Keisel, who is an unrestricted free agent, means to him: “He has meant a lot to me…being a mentor to me, a friend, his passion for this game, being a great person off the field and in the community. He is an all around role model the way he carries himself, cares about the team. He shows you how a team leader is supposed to be. If you care about something that is how you are supposed to care about it. Whether you are hurt or not, you never give up. It wasn’t ideal this season, but he gave it all he had. That last game he was on fire and I was happy to see him bring that to the table. We all appreciate it and we love him for it.”

* On playing special teams while starting, including field goal, field goal block and kickoff return units: “Me and Coach (Mike) Tomlin talk about it. He always checks my appetite to see if I want to do it. I enjoy it. I might be more winded, but we have other guys that rotate on kickoff return. Whatever it takes, if I have to play five positions I will do it. I learned both sides on the line being behind Keisel and Ziggy. Whatever I have to do I will be the utility belt.”

* On looking back at the 2013 season: “I am still sore about not making the playoffs. That is the ultimate goal, to win Super Bowls around here. Individually I made strides but I am only here for one reason and that is to win the Super Bowl.

“I know statistically it wasn’t our best year as far as sacks but I thought we did a decent job of getting after quarterbacks. I think as a team we can continue with being battled tested. Our backs were against the wall throughout the whole season. We can take it into next season and grow from it. We have to win every game. We have to start fresh, not dig a big hole. If we can eliminate the 0-4 start, big plays against us, we can be a good defense as well as a good team.”
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-05-2014), harrison'samonster (02-05-2014), pczach (02-05-2014), SteelersCanada (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,435 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Heyward: 'I just put pressure on myself'

This guy is already becoming the leader of this defense

Cant wait till the season starts I expect big things form Heyward and the rest of the Defense
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-05-2014), harrison'samonster (02-05-2014), pczach (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,927 Times in 3,841 Posts

There are some pretty impressive quotes in that article. He has impressed on the field, and now is impressing with his passion and leadership. Onward and upward my man.

That was awesome to read from the lips of a player.

pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-05-2014), gameface75 (04-23-2014), harrison'samonster (02-05-2014), SteelersCanada (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

This stood out to me, “Having those first two years go by and not playing that much" DL needs to get off that shit...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BKAnthem For This Useful Post:
Steel Peon (04-22-2014), SteelersCanada (02-05-2014), steelfury02 (04-19-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

He should have started in place of Ziggy a long time ago but Tomlin wouldn't give up on a guy playing in the wrong system.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanRooney For This Useful Post:
gameface75 (04-23-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,104 Times in 4,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
He should have started in place of Ziggy a long time ago but Tomlin wouldn't give up on a guy playing in the wrong system.
...OR hey ward should've put more pressure on himself three years ago. You kids always want shit handed to you on a silver platter, and know nothing about, earning stripes, making rank, and busting ones ass to climb the ladder.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,916 Times in 6,120 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Defensive end option worth $6.969 million for 2011 draft picks

By Simon Chester @SteelersWarRoom on Apr 18 2014

As it emerges that draft picks from the first round of the 2011 draft are beginning to have their fifth year options exercised a figure has been confirmed for the true cost to keep Cam Heyward under contract in 2015.

As reported on this site a few days ago the fifth year option for Cam Heyward's contract is due to be exercised by 3rd May as it is for all 2011 first round draft picks.

Although it seems the figure will not be as high as initially thought with a number of $6.969 million looking like the actual cost of the fifth year option to the Steelers and any other team looking to extend their defensive ends from the 2011 draft.

Aaron Wilson, even if does go by Ravens Insider, is plugged into national news and is something of a contract expert. With confirmation on the value of Watt's option, and Muhammad Wilkerson from the NY Jets having the same figure for his fifth year option according to a variety of New York newspapers, it seems safe to say this will be the figure for Heyward too.

A cap hit of almost $7 million will represent a substantial raise for Heyward in 2015 given he is set to take home $1,289,322 in base salary this year but it would benefit the Steelers to try and agree a long term deal with him before next year in the hopes of bringing that figure down a bit.

This is the first time under the new CBA that the fifth year option has come into play and while most players could expect to have their rights retained there will be a few names from the 2011 draft that will be entering free agency in 2015.

It would be a shock if Heyward was one of them and it seems certain the Steelers will announce they have exercised their option on him in the next week or so.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...11-draft-picks
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
fer522 (04-18-2014), harrison'samonster (04-18-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (04-21-2014), SteelerJT (04-21-2014), teegre (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

never mind

The Following User Says Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Dale Lolley @dlolleyor
The #Steelers have picked up the fifth year option on Cam Heyward. No surprise
Quote:
Mark Kaboly ✔ @MarkKaboly_Trib
Steelers pick up 5th year option on 2011 first-round pick Cameron Heyward according to the NFL

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (04-21-2014)