Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #71
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Emmanuel Sanders Will Have Plenty of Competition on FA Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I know that post extremely well. Right, @Bayz101

AB vs. Ward can be summed up like this:

AB = Deion Sanders
Ward = Rod Woodson

Splitting hairs... comparing apples to oranges... and, it comes down to: personal preference.
And this is why you guys post editorials now.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-08-2014), teegre (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #72
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,377 Times in 10,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
And this is why you guys post editorials now.
The good thing back then: jb500ex would stalk YOU (instead of me).

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (02-08-2014), harrison'samonster (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #73
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Nope, I'm also judging him by his performance this entire season and it's been lackluster. Granted, he's playing with one of the worst Quarterbacks in the NFL in terms of accuracy and touch on his passes, but he's clearly lost a step and the wheels have fallen off. What did he really accomplish this season? Not only that, a team is going to overpay for him due to past accomplishments. He gets unnecessary flags and would bring unnecessary attention to a team that's in the midst of a transition - does that sound like a good idea?

Or, we could let Wheaton take over the number 2 role and have Cotchery continue to play the slot receiving role. A guy that, ya know, does his job quietly and consistently rather than loudly, inconsistently and acts like a piece of shit on the field. Plus, Cotchery doesn't headbutt other players. That's a big positive for me.

Take your pick.
I'm fine with Wheaton being the #2.

The discussion I was starting was that Bolden would be a much bigger value to the Steelers offense than Sanders would be.

I know Bolden also knows how to block effectively, which is something the Steelers need a receiver to do (in addition to catch). Sanders doesn't.
harrison'samonster (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #74
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
To clarify: I was not trying to say that AB deserves as much of my "respect" as Hines Ward. I was just trying to say that this thread is akin to debating about (good player A) versus (good player B): Deion vs. Rod... Barry versus AP... Megatron vs. Jerry... and, Ward vs. AB.

Splitting hairs: both are phenomenal.

Apples & oranges: best blocking, most clutch versus dynamic open-field threat

Personal preference: Hines Ward is my all-time favorite receiver. But, I simultaneously realize that AB has had two pretty good seasons, and could end up being one of the all-time greats at his position.

Make sense?
I feel ya, I just wanted to be clear about putting young'uns in certain categories before they really earn it.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-09-2014), teegre (02-09-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #75
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,502 Times in 5,951 Posts
My Mood: Happy

2014 NFL Free Agency: Riley Cooper extension sets a market for Emmanuel Sanders

By Neal Coolong on Feb 28 2014

The 2010 NFL Draft class products Sanders and Cooper compare well to each other in some areas, enough to think Cooper's 5-year, $25 million ($8 million guaranteed) could be a good starting point for the pending Steelers free agent.

The Philadelphia Eagles signed pending free agent Riley Cooper to a 5-year, $25 million extension Friday, with $8 million guaranteed.

While Cooper had 17.8 yards per catch this past season with the Eagles, Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders has more career catches (114-93) despite having missed six games over his first two seasons. Clearly two different kinds of receivers, the 6-foot-3 Cooper is a large-bodied target who's eight touchdowns in 2013 dwarf Sanders' career total of five.

That level of deal, though, is likely around the mark Sanders could expect on the open market. It could be a bit higher, given there will be a market that isn't exclusive to one team the way Riley's deal was brokered, but they are similar enough statistically it's a good bet his new deal will be used as a comparable.

Both receivers are products of the 2010 NFL Draft, with Sanders going to Pittsburgh in the third round and Cooper going in the fifth round to the Eagles.

The same could be said for Green Bay's James Jones, who's also a part of a rich wide receivers class in free agency. Older than both Sanders and Cooper, Jones' career numbers, on average, are similar to both players, except for a curve-breaking 14 touchdowns in 2012.

Generally speaking, the availability of all these receivers could lead to a lessened value should they reach free agency as well. Jones' age, Sanders' injury history and other flaws could drive the price down and saturate the market if they are all allowed to leave their 2013 teams unsigned.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...manuel-sanders
Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #76
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Steelers Free Agent Spotlight: WR Emmanuel Sanders

BY KIM MYERS - FEB 28TH, 2014

We’ve come to our final free agent for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Emmanuel Sanders tested the waters slightly last offseason as a restricted free agent but will become an unrestricted free agent on March 11th.

Emmanuel Sanders was drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft out of SMU. In college he played alongside his future Steelers teammate, Kelvin Beachum. Sanders was used pretty sparingly early on as he was fairly low on the WR depth chart but has accumulated a respectable 2,030 receiving yards with a 12.6 average and 11 touchdowns in his four-year NFL career so far.

Last year the New England Patriots signed Sanders to a one-year $2.5 million dollar contract as a restricted free agent. The Steelers would have gotten an additional 3rd round draft pick as compensation but opted to retain Sanders instead and matched the Patriots’ offer. In return, Sanders started opposite Antonio Brown as the No. 2 wide receiver on the team and put up career-highs in receptions, yards, and touchdowns. Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has already acknowledged that Sanders will be able to test free agency and won’t necessarily be one of the free agents the Steelers try to re-sign before March 11th.

“Emmanuel came back and had a nice year for us, and we were happy to have him, and where he goes in free agency and what his market is we don’t know at this point, but he certainly performed for us last year, and we’ll see where it is in the future.” – Kevin Colbert

With the fact that Sanders is definitely going to draw interest from other teams with much more spending money than the Steelers plus Markus Wheaton all ready to hopefully have an injury-free second year this might be the end of the road for Sanders in Pittsburgh. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t necessarily want to stay here or that the Steelers wouldn’t want him back, it’s just an instance of things not working out sometimes. The Steelers most likely won’t be able or willing to pay the contract Sanders would be looking for, in which case they’re already in good position to replace Sanders with Wheaton and add additional wide receivers in the draft.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/02/28...anuel-sanders/
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #77
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Even with the competition, Sanders will probably still command more than he's worth. I expect that he'll be gone, which doesn't bother me all that much to be honest. It will be annoying if he goes somewhere else and has a breakout year, but for whatever reason, it never happened here.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #78
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

A report links Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders to Detroit Lions

By Neal Coolong on Mar 8 2014

Looking for a sidekick to Megatron, the experienced Sanders makes sense, even if the Lions do have the possibility of landing a talented receiver with the 10th overall pick.

Call him Starscream.

Steelers pending free agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is being mentioned as a possible target of the Detroit Lions, looking to be the ever-elusive second wide receiver Calvin Johnson, nicknamed "Megatron."

Sanders makes sense for Detroit, a team that has has a top 10 pick and has been linked to Texas A&M WR Mike Evans with that pick. Trading up for a shot at Clemson WR Sammy Watkins is also a possibility in Detroit.

Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew is also a free agent, and the team will have to adjust to the huge contracts of Johnson, quarterback Matthew Stafford and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Sanders certainly won't command Johnson-like numbers, but could be a decent sidekick for the Lions. He played a pretty good No. 2 role for the Steelers over the past two seasons.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...burgh-steelers

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0; 03-08-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #79
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,377 Times in 10,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Sanders to Detroit means no Mike Evans to Detroit.

(For those who'd like Evans picked at 15, that's good news.)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-08-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #80
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,265 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Sanders to Detroit means no Mike Evans to Detroit.

(For those who'd like Evans picked at 15, that's good news.)
but is terrible f***ing news for people who want Dennard

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post: