Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,335 Times in 2,901 Posts
Default Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay

I started this in The Locker Room, but merged that thread with the thread on Michael Sam in the NFL thread to avoid duplicate posts. And now have moved it back to the Locker Room

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri Tigers and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in interviews with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" and the New York Times on Sunday.

Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."...

In 2014, "Gay Man to Enter Workforce" has the everyday-occurrence sound of a headline in The Onion. But when the NFL is involved, it's a first -- and potentially a landmark moment -- in the history of American sports....

Sam's decision to speak out now comes after his experience two weeks ago at the Senior Bowl, where, he said, many already seemed aware of his sexual orientation.

"I didn't realize how many people actually knew, and I was afraid that someone would tell or leak something out about me," he said. "I want to own my truth. ... No one else should tell my story but me."

He had already confided in a few close friends, Sam recalled, and had dated a fellow athlete who was not a football player -- so while coming out to his Mizzou teammates last year was a key moment, it came almost as an afterthought, during preseason training camp.

"Coaches just wanted to know a little about ourselves, our majors, where we're from, and something that no one knows about you," Sam said. "And I used that opportunity just to tell them that I was gay. And their reaction was like, 'Michael Sam finally told us.' "

Asked what that moment felt like, Sam said, "I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...igers-says-gay

Goodell probably wishes he had a device to shut down all twitter accounts for NFL players for the next 24 hours

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 02-12-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Merged NFL and Locker Room threads
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-09-2014), Buddha Bus (02-10-2014), fer522 (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-09-2014), JonM229 (02-09-2014), JPPT1974 (02-12-2014), SteelerEmpire (02-09-2014), SteelersCanada (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,222 Times in 3,470 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: NFL Hopeful Comes Out

good for him! I wish him luck in the NFL and hope he doesn't land on a team with Incognito.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-09-2014), Bane (02-09-2014), JonM229 (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
good for him! I wish him luck in the NFL and hope he doesn't land on a team with Incognito.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/0...ationship.html

I'm pretty sure Incognito's been all but vindicated, so far. Sure, he was crass, but there seems to be very little indication that he really had as bad of a hand in this whole situation as Martin's agent seems to have made him seem.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,335 Times in 2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Sounds as if he is going to have more trouble with older front office types with regard to getting drafted

This from the lead college football writer for SI

And this from a SI article on Michael Sam's draft prospects

"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," said an NFL player personnel assistant. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...m-draft-stock/

So the NFL will be ready for an openly gay player around 2035 but not "just yet" since it will create a "chemical imbalance" on the team- WTF?

Glad to see the Steelers are listed among the few franchises regarded as having the strength to make it work for Mr. Sam

The former general manager said that it would take an NFL franchise with a strong owner, savvy general manager and veteran coach to make it work. He rattled off franchises like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco, Baltimore and Indianapolis as destinations where that could happen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...m-draft-stock/

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 02-09-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-09-2014), fer522 (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-09-2014), JonM229 (02-10-2014), SteelersCanada (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,986 Times in 898 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay

Posted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2014, 8:49 PM EST

In 10 days, the NFL will descend on Indianapolis for the Scouting Combine, a year after multiple incoming players reportedly were asked about their sexuality.

For one of the players attending this years Combine, the answer has been provided without the question being asked.

Missouri defensive end Michael Sam has come out as gay, capping a football season that began with Sam sharing his sexual orientation with his teammates.

I just want to make sure I could tell my story the way I want to tell it, Sam told the New York Times. I just want to own my truth.

The SEC co-defensive player of the year struggled at the Senior Bowl with a move from defensive end to linebacker. Hes still regarded as a third-round prospect.

Im not naive, Sam said. I know this is a huge deal and I know how important this is. But my role as of right now is to train for the Combine and play in the NFL.

It will be difficult for Sam to focus on that role, at least in the short term. Instantly, his name will take on a Manzeillian magnitude at the Scouting Combine, with Sams press conference destined to be as busy as Manti Teos session in 2013.

The media then will shift its focus to whether Sams declaration will help him or hurt him. Ideally, it will have no impact. But were not naive, either. Some coaches, General Managers, and/or owners will be inclined to shy away from being the first locker room to welcome openly gay player, even if none would ever admit it.

For that reason, Sam took a courageous path. (Outsports.com tells the story of how Sam made the decision to come out now.) He could have kept it hidden until after he was drafted. Instead, he opted (as he has said) to own his truth. And now whoever drafts him will be selecting and accepting Sam for who he is.

At a time when NFL teams seem to be obsessed with avoiding distractions, heres hoping that someone will see this as an opportunity to help get sports to the point where having an openly gay player isnt regarded as a distraction. Ideally, heres hoping that Sam ultimately is picked because he can help a team win games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...es-out-as-gay/
Buddha Bus (02-10-2014), Galax Steeler (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), Lady Steel (02-10-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,721 Times in 792 Posts

What do they say ? 10% of the population is gay ? Over 30 Million Americans ? That's a LOT of gay

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), JonM229 (02-10-2014), Lady Steel (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860
Default Re: Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay

Good for him. My only gripe is him or any other gay person for that matter being in the locker rooms and restrooms with others of the same sex. That's like me being in a locker room full of athletic naked ladies!

I have no problem with gay people, just not sure what it would do to a testosterone filled locker room?
Old 02-10-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Pretty courageous of the guy to admit that at all much less before he's drafted. Unfortunately, it will probably hurt his draft stock as there is still a lot of homophobia in society. Not saying it's right (because it isn't), just saying it's the reality.

I think it speaks to his character greatly getting it out in the open ahead of time and risking his own draft status. He could have hid it and been drafted first, but decided he would give teams the power to choose. At least he knows whatever team drafts him will welcome him with open arms and know up front instead of springing it on them later.

Kudos to him from taking that bold chance.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
fer522 (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), Lady Steel (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Well, looks like the ignorance has already begun to flow.

NFL Assistant Has A Horribly Anti-Gay Explanation For Why The League Isn't Ready For Michael Sam
By Tony Manfred
7 hours ago
AP

Minutes after NFL Draft prospect Michael Sam announced he's gay, Sports Illustrated ran an article in which several anonymous people working in the NFL threw cold water on the news.

It's a sobering reminder that the environment Sam is about to enter isn't entirely supportive of gay players.

The most horrible quote came from an unnamed NFL player personnel assistant, who said:

"I don't think football is ready for it just yet. In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

It's important to note that this isn't an assistant saying that this is the thought within the league. This is a person speaking for himself.

(Read More:) http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-as...021059968.html

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
fer522 (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), JonM229 (02-10-2014), Lady Steel (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

He seems like a good kid. Has his degree. Anyhow, I liked the line Charles Barkley I believe had about a gay teammate- all that matters to me is he can shoot straight or the Mike Mussina line of assuming he's already had a gay teammate. People will say "why does this matter", well suppose you're a young gay athlete, you've got a role model in Mike Sam since he's proving that a gay guy can make it in the NFL. It's kind of like how Jackie Robinson was important for future African American and minority athletes. I wish Sam well in the NFL unless he's drafted by a team I hate but seriously I am glad to see that society seems to be evolving on this issue. His teammates accepted him at Mizzou, no reason why fans should not.
Related;
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...rt-michael-sam
Good on Jerome and Ryan.

Last edited by GMU Steeler; 02-10-2014 at 07:36 AM.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GMU Steeler For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), JonM229 (02-10-2014), Lady Steel (02-10-2014)