Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725
Default Re: Can Steelers count on AB,Wheaton, Moye/Cotchery next season?

Dennard in the 1st or bust!!!!

Robinson should be there for us in the 2nd if they feel like they need to take a receiver somewhat high in this draft.

Me personally, all picks should be defense, but I would be okay with them taking a receiver at some point. Even in the 1st if Dennard or other high quality D guys they are targeting are gone.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lipps83 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-15-2014), Steel Peon (02-17-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
I think you misread my post. I dont want Nix in round 1. I dont want a NT high, period. They dont play enough to warrant that high of a selection. I would like to go WR or DB #1. That has to be the priority. This team is in desperate need of play makers, as in an offensive player who gets 20+ yard plays or a defender that causes turnovers. A NT does none of that, while also only playing 50% of the game, at most.
I agree with this! I understand DL's 3-4 philosophy, but all teams gonna do is spread us out and throw all day, leaving Nix on the sideline 75% of the year maybe more. Gotta get someone to cover AJ Green, Tory Smith, Josh Gordon. Our current CB situation is below average to average, at best. Also need a MLB to play next to Timmons. Hopefully Spence can do it, but I would rather use our 1st pick on a MLB rather than a NT. Losing Foote and Harrison hurt our run defense more than not having a stout NT. As for a WR, I say develop the rooks from last year. J Brown and Moye are good tall receivers. Run in the end zone, and out jump your defender. I think they should be able to handle that with another year under their belts.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Yes, to answer the thread. But, also yes that they need help.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,496 Times in 8,550 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I really hope Spence becomes a play maker for us (@teegre convinced me, finally) but he has to play a down in the NFL first. Baby steps.
I haven't rooted for a player more, in quite a while.

And, my "type" of rooting has changed.

Before he was drafted, I wanted him to be a Steeler. When he was drafted, I truly thought the Steelers had gotten their biggest steal since James Harrison. And then... the injury occurred.

Now, I'm rooting more for the person (the comeback) than I am for the benefit of the team. That said, it'd be great to get both.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014), pczach (02-16-2014), SteelersCanada (02-16-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,939 Times in 1,908 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Ben's gotten/getting to the level of making 2nd tier guys viable weapons in his and Haley's offense - I think it would be a huge mistake (IMO) to get that tall WR in the 1st round. I think you go D in 1st 2 and can still get a 6'3" guy who will fight like a Boldin in the 2nd or 3rd.

What's the status on that Penn State WR, Robinson? Latest I'm reading is that the mock experts think we'll see somewhere between 5 and 8 WRs go in the 1st round alone.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,407 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Dennard is a top 20 pick. As much as I'd like to get him in the second round, if we want him, he's a first round selection. If anything, Louis Nix is more likely to drop due to his knee injury and fluctuating weight issues.

I really hope Spence becomes a play maker for us (@teegre convinced me, finally) but he has to play a down in the NFL first. Baby steps.
Exactly Dennard will not be no where near the second round!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #17
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

My understanding is, there are good receivers going into the third round in this draft. If that is the case, that's when you draft him. We need defence on the first two picks, UNLESS a guy like Watkins falls in the first. Other than that, this draft should be about re-stocking the defence. Let's not forget, the Steelers may sign a free agent WR late like they did with Cothchery, if he does not come back. I think he will be back though, for probably around the same as what he got his year. We signed Farrior late as well when we got him so you never know who will get unnoticed in FA.
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
That's why I consider it to be the last piece of the puzzle for an offense. We have the QB, we have invested heavily in the OL(which should see its true benefits this year, hopefully), we have a TE, all we need is that second playmaker.

Also, a WR is valued more by FO's than any other position on offense, save for QB, as the investments they put into the position is crazy high (in terms of monetary value).
I think we have enough playmakers on the team in Brown, Bell, Miller and I honestly think many will be pleasantly surprised with Wheaton.

As for the monetary value invested by teams at the WR position, I disagree. Look at the Seahawks and their bunch of no name guys, with a FA in Harvin. 49ers have money invested in Crabtree and Boldin, but largely a group of OK receivers. Same with Broncos, Patriots really have nobody, but Brady seems to get yardage thru the air. I think the knee jerk managed teams invest too heavily in Free Agent WR's to compensate for sometimes poor QB play. Just look at the Dolphins.

A good QB can make average WR's productive. Steelers have Roethlisberger with a Pro Bowler to throw to in Brown. Surround him with some more decent players like Wheaton, Justin Brown, Cotchery, etc......especially in the controlled passing game the Steelers run.

Most important positions on Offense are QB and those who keep the QB upright. Steelers have a good RB and marquee WR. Having another top WR is a luxury, while upgrading CB, Pass Rusher, NT, Safety are more necessities, IMO.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

The lack of a redzone threat must be fixed though if this offense wants to take the next step. Yeah Yeah the O started to look better but I felt we were still settling for too many FGs.

When I say we need a redzone threat, Im not necessarily saying we need a big WRs......it could be that or the revival of some dominating run blocking. In the redzone we have to be able to dictate and keep teams guessing

So while I agree, generally we should be looking to fix the D first with (CB,MLB,S,NT....my order preferably)......anyone thinking that the O doesnt need an extra level, if we want to win a title with a mediocre D which we have right now, is fooling themselves

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
Galax Steeler (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #20
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Ben's gotten/getting to the level of making 2nd tier guys viable weapons in his and Haley's offense - I think it would be a huge mistake (IMO) to get that tall WR in the 1st round. I think you go D in 1st 2 and can still get a 6'3" guy who will fight like a Boldin in the 2nd or 3rd.

What's the status on that Penn State WR, Robinson? Latest I'm reading is that the mock experts think we'll see somewhere between 5 and 8 WRs go in the 1st round alone.
I tend to agree with this after changing my thoughts on a 1st rd WR.
We have a nice history of picking up solid WR's in later rounds.
We definitely have to reload on defense and no time like the present to do it.
I think Bell is going to be a bigger force this year than last.
Especially if we don't sub in Felix every few series.
A healthy offense in 2014 with Wheaton taking over for Sanders is not too shabby IMO.