Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241
Default Re: Bring Back "The Steeler Way"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and Gold View Post
Just admit you're trying to be a devils advocate.
Actually, I'm not. The Steeler way of the past I am referring to was successful for a longer period of time than the current model. Yes since Tomlin arrived we have been 1-1 in Super Bowls. But without some heroics from Harrison and Holmes, SB43 could have easily been a loss and we'd be 0-2 with our arrow pointed down since 2011.I attribute the Super Bowls of recent memory more part of the former model than the corrent. I'm for the team building for long term success versus a win-now mentality that seems to have been the model since 2009. With that, let's clean house versus have overpaid players play on mediocre teams delaying the inevitable.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #22
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,010 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
Actually, I'm not. The Steeler way of the past I am referring to was successful for a longer period of time than the current model. Yes since Tomlin arrived we have been 1-1 in Super Bowls. But without some heroics from Harrison and Holmes, SB43 could have easily been a loss and we'd be 0-2 with our arrow pointed down since 2011.I attribute the Super Bowls of recent memory more part of the former model than the corrent. I'm for the team building for long term success versus a win-now mentality that seems to have been the model since 2009. With that, let's clean house versus have overpaid players play on mediocre teams delaying the inevitable.
How was it more successful? It didn't win anything. You're bordering on moronic status.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #23
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
How was it more successful? It didn't win anything. You're bordering on moronic status.
What do you mean it didn't win anything? During the Cowher era the Steelers were in the playoffs 10 out of 14 seasons, 5 AFCC appearances, 2 Super Bowls, 1 Trophy. Plus, he passed the torch to Tomlin which set up another Trophy. Can you see another 17 years of similar success ahead?
Old 02-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #24
CNEW
Team Captain

Quote:
What do you mean it didn't win anything? During the Cowher era the Steelers were in the playoffs 10 out of 14 seasons, 5 AFCC appearances, 2 Super Bowls, 1 Trophy. Plus, he passed the torch to Tomlin which set up another Trophy. Can you see another 17 years of similar success ahead?
Your "Steeper Way" didn't win a super bowl. We were a consistent disappointment in the playoffs before Ben got here, aka a franchise qb. Regardless of what he was being paid at the time when he win the first SB, he was still a franchise QB. What you are proposing is getting a new QB every four or five years and trying to win a ring while he's on his rookie contract. Do you not see how insanely dumb that sounds? You are advocating for a professional football team to be run like a college program, where we constantly recycle players every four or five years. Its moronic and a great way to piss off your entire fan base, ya know, the ones who go to the games and pay you a shit ton of money. Once the fans stop coming to the games, you stop having money to even pay the players that you actually do want to keep.

Your method of running a team is fucking retarded. Sorry for being blunt about it, but its true.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014), Steel and Gold (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Your "Steeper Way" didn't win a super bowl. We were a consistent disappointment in the playoffs before Ben got here, aka a franchise qb. Regardless of what he was being paid at the time when he win the first SB, he was still a franchise QB. What you are proposing is getting a new QB every four or five years and trying to win a ring while he's on his rookie contract. Do you not see how insanely dumb that sounds? You are advocating for a professional football team to be run like a college program, where we constantly recycle players every four or five years. Its moronic and a great way to piss off your entire fan base, ya know, the ones who go to the games and pay you a shit ton of money. Once the fans stop coming to the games, you stop having money to even pay the players that you actually do want to keep.

Your method of running a team is fucking retarded. Sorry for being blunt about it, but its true.
Uh, did you even bother reading my post? I mentioned multiple AFCC's and XXX, XL, and XLIII as part of the Steeler way.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #26
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,409 Posts

Quote:
and a few heroics here and there. and a miss play here and there and we could of been 2-0 in super bowls under tomlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (02-16-2014), harrison'samonster (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #27
CNEW
Team Captain

Quote:
Uh, did you even bother reading my post? I mentioned multiple AFCC's and XXX, XL, and XLIII as part of the Steeler way.
Then what the hell are you arguing? You're all over the place. Seems like youre trying to compare 2011-2013 to 1991-2011. I don't think I should have to tell you why thats reall, really dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #28
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
and a few heroics here and there. and a miss play here and there and we could of been 2-0 in super bowls under tomlin
The same could be said for Cowher's loss to Dallas and Kordell's AFCC blunders. Catch a few breaks and history is different for everyone.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #29
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Then what the hell are you arguing? You're all over the place. Seems like youre trying to compare 2011-2013 to 1991-2011. I don't think I should have to tell you why thats reall, really dumb.
Let me ask you a question. If we sign Ben for Flacco money and the team averages between 7-9 wins and no Super Bowls over the next few years would that be worth it to you?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #30
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

You only post "what if " scenarios if it suits your view. Cowhers years produced one (1) SB win and one (1) SB loss in what 15 seasons. But that is more successful than the same record put up by Tomlins team in 8 seasons. I dont know how old you are but I for one was more frustrated during the Cowher years than now, I mean we could get to the AFC title game and we were better nearly every time and yet we came up short. I may change my tune if we do not improve but I learned patience from those years.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014), pczach (02-17-2014)