Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,679
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,850
Thanked 10,335 Times in 4,366 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Agreed Lewis wanted to leave looks like a cover story

Steelers were not going to pay to keep both Lewis and Taylor for the same reason they are not going to keep both Woodley and Worilds - their strategy is not to collectively sink too many dollars into any position other than QB, where you are stuck paying top $ for a top shelf QB. And they were reluctant to pay Lewis without a longer track record as a starter (although they are now probably going to pay Worilds)

Props to Gerry Dulac of the P-G for saying Lewis should stay and Ike should go 11 months ago

Question from my weekly chat: Have the #Steelers spoken with Keenan Lewis? My answer....

I'm sure they have. I think the Steelers want to re-sign Lewis, but I also think they believe he is going to test the free agent market and that some team will overpay and make him a big offer -- an offer the Steelers won't match. Plus, the Steelers are comfortable knowing they have Cortez Allen behind Lewis.
It's too bad. I think the Steelers needed to see one more good year out of Lewis before they would give him a big contract. He's a good young player and it will be too bad if he is not re-signed. Personally, if you have to make tough financial decisions, I'd rather see them get rid of Ike Taylor and keep Lewis and Allen.


http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...-bfd990515b89/
I fear they're going to resign Worilds to try and right the Lewis wrong. They should have let (and probably will) Worilds walk and retained Lewis. The fact that they didn't once again brings up our flawed player philosophy about kicking the can down the road with unproductive players for sentimental reasons, but I digress.

Dulac overestimated the contract that Lewis got. It would have been nice to cut ties with Ike at this time last year, resign Lewis and have him play opposite Allen. I'd go as far as saying that we wouldn't have lost the Vikings game and we wouldn't have given up 55 points to the Patriots. Tack on two wins, and we're competing for the AFC North. Once again, I digress.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I really hope they don't try to right the Lewis wrong by signing Worilds.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach
 
Riddle_Of_Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,935
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13727
Thanks: 2
Thanked 865 Times in 432 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
After reading the article and believing my own eyes, if we don't go CB with pick #1 and add secondary depth with later picks there should be an investigation.
As bad as our secondary was, I still think they need to address the DT/NT position first.

DL's 3-4 scheme is predicated on several things, in this order:

1) Stopping the run and making opposing team one-dimensional.
2) Take away the big plays.
3) bring the pressure to speed things up for opposing QBs.

I don't think our fall from grace was more evident than in the way our run defense (normally an "automatic thing" for Steelers fans) went from being the best to one of the worst.

I mean, they let a frigging QB run 94 yards for a TD.
__________________
GO STEELERS!!
"On the S-2-7 train"
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-17-2014), harrison'samonster (02-17-2014), teegre (02-16-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner
 
SteelerEmpire's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,700
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14355
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 1,997 Times in 903 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

I know Taylor my be losing his edge, but the question is who do we have to replace him ?
__________________

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,067
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,468
Thanked 7,885 Times in 3,482 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
I know Taylor my be losing his edge, but the question is who do we have to replace him ?
Unless he takes a major haircut on his salary, take your chances with Gay and Allen while seeing if whomever you draft can play
__________________
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,578
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 4,526
Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,982 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Unless he takes a major haircut on his salary, take your chances with Gay and Allen while seeing if whomever you draft can play
I just think if Dennard is there at 15, there's no way you don't take him - it is one thing to draft BPA if you have tremendous depth - but they don't - so you go glaring need this time around. He can start and make an impact on Day 1.

If our guys can get back to shutting down the run game (opens up pass rush capabilities), shutting down #1 target, we're back in business IMO - I have become really high on Nix, but if Dennard is there, he helps you get back to the top more quickly
__________________

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #16
austinfrench76
Head Coach
 
austinfrench76's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,688
Member Number: 3516
Thanks: 831
Thanked 561 Times in 348 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

I would love an CB or WR on Round 1. But, wouldn't be mad at NT. The issue with the secondary is that we had misses in the draft (Brown) and in UFA (letting Lewis walk) that we usually don't make. We let aging vets walk that are past their prime not young, up and coming CB's. That's all. We can rebound quickly by letting Ike walk and grabbing a quality starter in FA thus year and a good draft.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
EbonySteel86
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 758
Member Number: 20340
Thanks: 1,333
Thanked 537 Times in 286 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Agreed Lewis wanted to leave looks like a cover story

Steelers were not going to pay to keep both Lewis and Taylor for the same reason they are not going to keep both Woodley and Worilds - their strategy is not to collectively sink too many dollars into any position other than QB, where you are stuck paying top $ for a top shelf QB. And they were reluctant to pay Lewis without a longer track record as a starter (although they are now probably going to pay Worilds)

Props to Gerry Dulac of the P-G for saying Lewis should stay and Ike should go 11 months ago

Question from my weekly chat: Have the #Steelers spoken with Keenan Lewis? My answer....

I'm sure they have. I think the Steelers want to re-sign Lewis, but I also think they believe he is going to test the free agent market and that some team will overpay and make him a big offer -- an offer the Steelers won't match. Plus, the Steelers are comfortable knowing they have Cortez Allen behind Lewis.
It's too bad. I think the Steelers needed to see one more good year out of Lewis before they would give him a big contract. He's a good young player and it will be too bad if he is not re-signed. Personally, if you have to make tough financial decisions, I'd rather see them get rid of Ike Taylor and keep Lewis and Allen.


http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...-bfd990515b89/
I was beating this drum also last year. The whole, "he wanted to go home" was some BS! Based on what I saw last year, Lewis was far and away the best CB we had, and no way in hell we should've kept Ike over him. Ike is a decent CB, who's skills are diminishing and who also excelled in this system that covered up a lot of what he can't do. Lewis was and up and coming All Star, who in my opinion, could've been one of the best CB's to ever put on a Steeler uniform. Since I been watching the Steelers the only DB's that I ever got really excited about watching was, Woodson, Lake, Troy and Lewis! We hit AND missed on this guy, for no reason at all! Till this day I still don't understand why we let him go.....FOR NOTHING, on top of that! Please Tomlin, Gilbert or Dennard in the 1st. Don't make the same mistake twice!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #18
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter
 
Hawaii 5-0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Aloha State
Posts: 9,382
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24013
Thanks: 8,640
Thanked 11,351 Times in 4,776 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers land a 'Steelers cornerback' with Darqueze Dennard at 15

By Neal Coolong on Feb 17 2014



SB Nation's Matthew Fairburn provides his final pre-Combine mock draft, and sends a familiar name at a position of need to Pittsburgh.

It's only the last pre-Combine mock draft from our brethren at SB Nation. It only leaves us excited for the 12 pre-draft mocks in front of us.

Fairburn likes Dennard's game.

Dennard just looks like a classic Steelers cornerback. He's physical at the line of scrimmage, can quickly break on the ball and is a sound tackler. By drafting a cornerback like Dennard in the first round, the Steelers could move Ike Taylor to safety, boosting two positions with one move.

Not quite sure how the selection of a rookie inspires the change of position of a player who's turning 34 years old and has never played safety at any level of the sport, but hey, it fills up space with something interesting.

What Dennard's selection would do, in reality, is begin to bolster depleted depth within the secondary. Assuming Ike Taylor is kept for the 2014 season (not a guarantee, but a good possibility), the Steelers will trot out Taylor, Cortez Allen and William Gay at their three corner positions - Gay would move inside in nickel packages, a role in which he succeeded at a high level last season. There's perilously thin depth behind them.

Whether it's Dennard or someone else, odds should be considered strong the Steelers will invest picks (plural) at the cornerback position in this draft. It may also be wise to draft another hybrid safety/slot coverage defensive back as well.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...rqueze-dennard
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-17-2014), SteelersCanada (02-17-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
EbonySteel86
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 758
Member Number: 20340
Thanks: 1,333
Thanked 537 Times in 286 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I fear they're going to resign Worilds to try and right the Lewis wrong. They should have let (and probably will) Worilds walk and retained Lewis. The fact that they didn't once again brings up our flawed player philosophy about kicking the can down the road with unproductive players for sentimental reasons, but I digress.

Dulac overestimated the contract that Lewis got. It would have been nice to cut ties with Ike at this time last year, resign Lewis and have him play opposite Allen. I'd go as far as saying that we wouldn't have lost the Vikings game and we wouldn't have given up 55 points to the Patriots. Tack on two wins, and we're competing for the AFC North. Once again, I digress.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I really hope they don't try to right the Lewis wrong by signing Worilds.
I'm on the fence about Worilds for the simple fact, he showed me a lot last year while Woodly has shown me nothing the last few years. It takes LB's a few years to "get it" in this system and Worilds seems like he's there. Haven't seen a lot of Worilds to concrete a reason to sign him due to all his injuries, but what I've seen last year, I like. This decision is a helluva lot harder than the Ike/Lewis one. Keeping Lewis over Ike is a no brainer, but they mucked that up!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,087
Member Number: 13149
Thanks: 361
Thanked 170 Times in 118 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Sunday / The secondary: A long, hard fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
As bad as our secondary was, I still think they need to address the DT/NT position first.

DL's 3-4 scheme is predicated on several things, in this order:

1) Stopping the run and making opposing team one-dimensional.
2) Take away the big plays.
3) bring the pressure to speed things up for opposing QBs.

I don't think our fall from grace was more evident than in the way our run defense (normally an "automatic thing" for Steelers fans) went from being the best to one of the worst.

I mean, they let a frigging QB run 94 yards for a TD.
You can find decent run stoppers later in the draft, especially in this type of D.... Woods and Heyward need more playing time and ineffective cats like hood need to go...we NEED DB's badly
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BKAnthem For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-17-2014)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts