Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,646 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

February, 14, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- On the same day Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the Steelers have told Ben Roethlisberger they plan to draft a tall wide receiver early, general manager Kevin Colbert offered this nugget in regard to the franchise quarterback.

“What we have to do is surround [Roethlisberger] with the best talent,” Colbert said on Wednesday, “and he has to play to that level that he’s capable of playing if we do get that talent around him.”

Colbert’s response was parsed and part of a larger answer to his acknowledgement that Big Ben isn’t getting any younger. But it signaled that the Steelers plan to go all-in with Roethlisberger, who turns 32 next month, and give him every chance of getting the organization back to the Super Bowl.

That, taken with what Dulac reported during an online chat, points to the Steelers providing Roethlisberger with the tall wide receiver he has long coveted – and hasn’t had since his rookie season in 2004.

Think about it.

The offense, unlike a defense in transition, is already largely in place for 2014.

Pro Bowler Antonio Brown returns after authoring the greatest season by a Steelers wide receiver. Le’Veon Bell has established himself as a feature back with plenty of upside after a robust rookie season. Tight end Heath Miller, solid in 2013, will be even better next season when he isn’t coming back from reconstructive knee surgery.

Colbert could have been referring to the offensive line when talking about the need to surround Roethlisberger with top talent. But the line returns intact after making significant improvement in the second half of last season, and it will get better under the watchful eye of new offensive line coach Mike Munchak.

Kelvin Beachum may not be a prototypical left tackle but he proved to be more than capable there after supplanting Mike Adams following the fourth game of the season. And the second-year man provided enough of a sample size for the Steelers to think he can hold his own protecting Roethlisberger’s blind side while also continuing to get better.

The obvious missing piece on offense is a rangy wide receiver, and the Steelers may not get a better chance to provide Roethlisberger with one while he is still in his prime.

The draft that Colbert said is as deep as any he has seen in 30 years is particularly flush with wide receivers. There are tall ones such as Texas A&M’s Mike Evans and Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin -- each is listed as at least 6-foot-5 -- and there also appears to be a handful in the 6-2, 6-3 range who could be early-round selections.

Whether that means the Steelers draft a tall wide receiver in the first or second round remains to be seen. Colbert insists that the Steelers stick to their draft board and that talent always trumps need when they are making their picks.

The Steelers can’t know how things will shake out during the pre-draft evaluations that shift into another gear next week at the NFL combine.

Or how the actual draft in May plays out.

But if the Steelers are intent on taking advantage of every snap that Roethlisberger has left at wide receiver at No. 15 overall is very much in play despite the more pressing needs they have on defense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...-draft-tall-wr
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-18-2014), harrison'samonster (02-17-2014), Silvercat (02-19-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Not at the expense of getting better on D. There are way more issues on that side than on the O side of the ball. Just my 2 cents of course
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-18-2014), Cyphon (03-18-2014), EbonySteel86 (02-18-2014), harrison'samonster (02-17-2014), SteelerFanInATL (03-15-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

This wacko tall receiver talk has happened before the draft for about 9 years now.... Woot thinks its all media hype... I will believe it when I see it, but my picks all are on defense so far....
harrison'samonster (02-17-2014), MDSteel15 (03-18-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Don't get me wrong, If I could grab a "Dez Bryant" first round I would...... Look what Tone did for us....
harrison'samonster (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
This wacko tall receiver talk has happened before the draft for about 9 years now.... Woot thinks its all media hype... I will believe it when I see it, but my picks all are on defense so far....
Yup, reminds me of how the Steelers were going to run a "Pony Backfield", draft Pat White to play the Wildcat or run an outside zone blocking scheme last season.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,566 Times in 990 Posts
My Mood: Sick

Hopefully, they don't draft a receiver too early. I don't want a tall receiver to get in the way of rebuilding the defense.
Wins are a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-18-2014), harrison'samonster (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I'd take vas any day! I understand our D needs so a CB would be good too. But Evans is legit.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,646 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Round 2 (46) Pittsburgh Steelers: Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

The Steelers missed Mike Wallace in 2013 and could use more receiving weapons for Todd Haley's offense, especially when you consider that Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery are entering free agency.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound Adams has a good combination of size and speed. He was extremely reliable for Derek Carr and gets open via quickness, size and route-running. In 2013, Adams dominated with 131 receptions for 1,718 yards and 24 touchdowns. He was one of the best receivers in college football. Adams has the ability to make receptions over defenders with the skills to get separation. As a freshman in 2012, he had 102 catches for 1,312 yards and 14 scores.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie_2.php
Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

I don't know if we missed Mike Wallace. I think we were mainly rebuilding our line and learning the new offense better. The line is legit now, and if we sign Crotch, we should be set with our young crew stepping in to catch some balls.. I think we need a tight end who can catch....(besides Mr Miller)
Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #10
jdell
Water Boy

Member Number: 25761

If Evans is there at 15 they wont pass on him. If hes gone though, I have a feeling they will select Maquise Lee, even though hes just 6 foot. If both are gone they need to get their favorite corner. (Dennard or Gilbert) I really like Devonte Adams in the 2nd. Either way rounds 1 and 2 should be wr and corner in either order.

Last edited by jdell; 02-18-2014 at 08:33 AM.
jdell is offline   Reply With Quote