Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Was Steve McLendon That Bad? And What About Louis Nix?

Was Steve McLendon That Bad? And What About Louis Nix?

February 17, 2014 by Alan Robinson

Was Steve McLendon good, bad or in between?

And do the Steelers really need to upgrade at nose tackle after just one season of McLendon starting there — and with two more seasons left on his $7.25 million contract?

Of all the Steelers’ starters, McLendon is the most enigmatic, at least in the eyes of the multiple evaluation services that assess NFL players’ performances.

McLendon, in his first season replacing long-time starter and run game-stopper Casey Hampton, played 355 snaps last season, or only about one-third of all those by the Steelers defense.

McLendon was given a positive grade by Pro Football Focus both as an overall defender and as a run defender. He ranked 33rd among all NFL defensive tackles, and 25th against the run, by a service that grades every player on every play, much like a player’s own position coach would do.

For comparison’s sake, Hampton ranked 77th among the 85 most-used defensive tackles, and 37th against the run, in 2012. Hampton was not signed after that season and did not play in 2013.

However, in McLendon’s first season on the nose, the Steelers plummeted from second against the run in 2012, allowing 90.6 yards per game, to 21st, giving up 115.6 yards. In comparing him to others at his position, Pro Football Focus judges him as “average, a solid starter.”

McLendon’s move into the lineup wasn’t the only reason for the Steelers’ falloff, and the worst performance they’ve had against the run with Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator.

They also missed linebacker James Harrison, who signed with the Bengals, safety Troy Polamalu was forced to play as an undersized inside linebacker at times following inside linebacker Larry Foote’s season-ending injury in Week 1; and first-round draft pick Jarvis Jones had an uneven rookie season at outside linebacker.

But, overall, the Steelers’ defensive line was better overall in 2013 than the season before; defensive end Cam Heyward became a playmaker and Brett Keisel was steady until getting injured late in the season. Ziggy Hood was about the same, but he yielded his spot — and quite a few snaps — to Heyward.

When I asked Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert about McLendon last week, here’s what he said:

“He did OK. He was OK,” Colbert said. “He fought through some injuries and gave us some good work. But, again, to say that anybody was good enough, including myself, when you’re 8-8, I think that’s a disservice to the organization.”

McLendon’s play is being judged more harshly by others. Football Outsiders calls nose tackle the Steelers’ greatest position of need, based on McLendon’s average tackle following a gain of 3.0 yards, the worst of any starting tackle in a 3-4 defense.

As multiple NFL analysts begin posting their mock drafts, quite a few are predicting the Steelers will take Notre Dame defensive tackle Louis Nix III with the 155h pick.

Such a pick would appear to be a reach for several reasons. One, Nix played only eight games for Notre Dame last season before needing surgery to repair a meniscus tear. Second, the Steelers would appear to have far greater needs at cornerback, safety, wide receiver and inside linebacker to take Nix — despite their struggles against the run.

With Ryan Clark likely leaving, the Steelers will be precariously thin at safety as Shamarko Thomas becomes a starter. And if Ike Taylor hasn’t already played his final game at cornerback — if he’s coming back, it’s almost certainly at a lower salary– he probably will in 2014. And that means another position that needs help in a hurry.

It’s also difficult to foresee the Steelers investing such an important pick on a defensive lineman after Colbert said that it’s their job to surround Ben Roethlisberger with weapons — and one of them, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, has been a virtual lock to leave via free agency since he failed to sign a multi-year contract last summer.

Nose tackle and run defense might be a concern, but the Steelers have far bigger ones in what is shaping up to be yet another crucial draft for a team that easily could go in either direction — back up the standings or further down them — in 2014.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#ixzz2tiy0Ov96
Old 02-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653
Default Re: Was Steve McLendon That Bad? And What About Louis Nix?

McLendon is not bad. He's decent but not great at NT. Nix could be great. McLendon is also better suited at DE and the Steelers don't have much depth at that position either. So moving him to DE helps.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), teegre (02-24-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

McLendon is a one gap 3-4 DE that played NT out of necessity.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-18-2014), harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), teegre (02-24-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

I like Mclendon a lot. I think he's a valuable player, but I agree that he is playing out of position for us. Move him to DE, get a real NT. If it's Nix, and he can be more than a 2 down player, I'll be happy. But if we can get somebody else and it improves our D-line, I'll be just as happy.
Bane (02-18-2014), fer522 (02-18-2014), FrancoLambert (02-19-2014), SteelersCanada (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I like Mclendon a lot. I think he's a valuable player, but I agree that he is playing out of position for us. Move him to DE, get a real NT. If it's Nix, and he can be more than a 2 down player, I'll be happy. But if we can get somebody else and it improves our D-line, I'll be just as happy.
I think that's where we're going to run into problems. Louis Nix, from everything I've seen/read/watched/heard, Nix is a 2 down player. He isn't a Dontari Poe in which you can line him up at DE on passing downs as a legitimate player and see success. He's a two down, space eating player. That type of player is diminishing from the NFL and at 15th overall, getting a three down Linebacker in Mosley or a great CB prospect in Dennard or Gilbert makes more sense to me.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
BKAnthem (03-07-2014), BLACK_AND_YELLOW (02-18-2014), EbonySteel86 (02-19-2014), FrancoLambert (02-19-2014), harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), lipps83 (03-20-2014), Soberdisposition (03-21-2014), steeler875 (03-21-2014), steelfury02 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

Draft Nix, move Mclendon to replace Hood
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skinart82 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), teegre (02-24-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I think that's where we're going to run into problems. Louis Nix, from everything I've seen/read/watched/heard, Nix is a 2 down player. He isn't a Dontari Poe in which you can line him up at DE on passing downs as a legitimate player and see success. He's a two down, space eating player. That type of player is diminishing from the NFL and at 15th overall, getting a three down Linebacker in Mosley or a great CB prospect in Dennard or Gilbert makes more sense to me.
you might be right. Either way, we're going to have to fix the D-line. This defense needs to start winning at the line and keeping the LB's clean. McLendon is an interesting choice for NT, as you pointed out though he's there out of necessity.

One thing that I really like about him there, is that he is very fast for a NT. If you wanted to see a faster defense, there's a good start. And he is very strong from everything I've read.
SteelersCanada (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

REsign Al Woods
Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

I think the skewed stats in both scenarios are because of linebacker tackling. When we were good with Casey, the backers were balling and his stats looked pathetic cause he just eats up blocks. Last year with McClendon, the backers were below average run tacklers and McClendon had to tackle down field. If we have a stud ILB and/or a NT then back to #1...
Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #10
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,546 Times in 880 Posts

I read somewhere that Hampton sat out approx. 50% of the plays in games he dressed for in his last 5 years as a NG. The game has changed dramatically since when we drafted Casey.

Today, the inside zone plays are doubling on the NG. Back in the day, Casey drew double team blocking, today, it's par for the course. Unless your NG can stand up to being shoved around a 650lb of offensive lineman, and there is darn few that can stand up to that play after play, your linebackers better come to play.

When you look at the team D against the run with McClendon at NG, it was stout. Our problem was when we lined up in our dime package, and McClendon on the bench, we were susceptible to being gashed on running plays. Add to that, Vince WIlliams is not exactly the second coming of Potsie Farrior yet, and that may have been more of the issue.

As for McClendon, he may indeed be miscast as a NG, but the last time we moved a NG to DE was Kemo VonOlhofin and he tore it up at DE.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-19-2014), teegre (02-18-2014)