Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,991 Times in 2,190 Posts
Default Re: Comcast buys Time Warner Cable for $45 billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
It's pending approval
My guess as to what will happen:

Stock prices of one, or both, will go up (if not skyrocket).

'Insiders' and 'sharps' will sell at all-time highs (not to mention the stock options!).

The deal will go bust.

The bag-holders will suffer.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
NO reason to panic. if everybody starts canceling their subscription , they'll get the message and back off.

Yeah, and if everybody stopped driving cars and buying gas they'd find an alternative fuel source pretty quick, too.

Not happening.

Convenience >>> Progress

Remember, evolution is lazy.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,967 Times in 3,091 Posts
My Mood: Crappy

I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,288 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post

Yeah, and if everybody stopped driving cars and buying gas they'd find an alternative fuel source pretty quick, too.

Not happening.

Convenience >>> Progress

Remember, evolution is lazy.
big difference. i watch more "TV" on the computer than i ever did on the TV. everybody else also has that option. i don't have a realistic, "cheaper" option for transportation...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Quote:
big difference. i watch more "TV" on the computer than i ever did on the TV. everybody else also has that option. i don't have a realistic, "cheaper" option for transportation...
But you are watching TV online with your broadband connection. Guess who controls that and has every incentive to keep broadband prices high so as to not kill the cable TV cash cow.

The reason this deal is scary is that for the vast majority of businesses in 19 of the 20 largest metropolitan areas in the country, their only choice for a high-capacity wired connection will be Comcast. Comcast, in turn, has its own built-in conflicts of interest: It will be serving the interests of its shareholders by keeping investments in its network as low as possible — in particular, making no move to provide the world-class fiber-optic connections that are now standard and cheap in other countries — and extracting as much rent as it can, in all kinds of ways. Comcast, for purposes of today’s public , is calling itself a “cable company.” It no longer is. Comcast sells infrastructure subject to neither competition nor a cop on the beat....

In comparison with the rest of the developed world, the US has slower broadband speeds and higher broadband prices than just about anybody....

The US, by contrast, is unique in that it has very high broadband prices and an abundance of bandwidth. The country as a whole — or at least its urban centers — has no shortage of bandwidth at all. But if you want to connect your home or business to the major internet backbones, the cable-company gatekeepers will charge you an arm and a leg for doing so.

Farhad Manjoo has the explanation for why this should be. Internet service is very cheap for the cable companies to provide, and it’s also price-sensitive: if you reduce the price, more people will sign up. As a result, the cable companies would make more money from their broadband offerings if they reduced the price. So why don’t they? Because right now, 91% of Americans with broadband also have cable TV (I think, I can’t find the link for that right now), and the cable companies make their real money from TV, not broadband. The cable companies therefore have every incentive to price broadband as high as possible, so as to make the marginal extra cost of getting TV as well as small as possible.

In the US, cable TV rates are very high; as such, the best way to prevent cord-cutting is to ensure that broadband rates are also very high....

If Comcast is allowed to buy Time Warner Cable, that model won’t change — but it will be reinforced. The cable companies will continue to price broadband at uneconomically high rates, in order to protect their cable TV cash cows. And as Krugman notes, they will have essentially no incentive to improve their own broadband infrastructure, since providing high-quality broadband is not how they make money. Instead, they will just continue to extract monopoly rents, which is good for their shareholders, but bad for everybody else.

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...ing-bandwidth/
NSMaster56 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #16
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
In the US, cable TV rates are very high; as such, the best way to prevent cord-cutting is to ensure that broadband rates are also very high....
i don't know what i'm missing here but the logic is lost on me....
ok i'm paying $70 a month for basic cable , and $40 a month for their internet.... soooo if i can watch everything thats on cable , on the internet , why do i need to keep paying the $70 for cable instead of just the $40 for the internet ? you don't have to have both...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #17
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I love my Dish Network.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Quote:
ok i'm paying $70 a month for basic cable , and $40 a month for their internet.... soooo if i can watch everything thats on cable , on the internet , why do i need to keep paying the $70 for cable instead of just the $40 for the internet ? you don't have to have both...
Well for starters you cannot watch everything online without a cable package

Want to download HBO Go and watch HBO online - you need a cable or satellite subscription for that

Even though many of us would buy a standalone, broadband-only version of the HBO Go app, HBO has good reasons for not offering this. HBO’s existing business is a really good business. Its $4.9 billion in revenue last year was only slightly higher than Netflix’s $4.37 billion, but in terms of operating income, HBO blows Netflix out of the water: $1.7 billion to $228 million.

With those fat, cable-derived profits on the line, HBO can’t afford to just worry about losing customers to competitors. If it launched a cord-cutting product, it would have to worry about losing customers to itself—replacing its current, high-margin customers with lower, Netflix-style margins.

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine..._than_hbo.html

How about ESPN sports programming - need a cable or satellite subscription for that too - and ESPN is charging the satellite or cable provider a fee to permit its customers to gain access to that programming - think the cable or satellite provider is going to eat those fees rather than pass them along

ESPN's Internet Rollout Tests Television Cash Cow
Sports Channel Seeks to Profit From Demand for Online Video Without Pushing Away Pay-TV Customers

ESPN's strategy is to allow only pay-television subscribers to stream games that air on ESPN TV channels.

The sports network has devised a complex business model. Although the app is delivered over the Internet, ESPN collects money for the app from pay-TV providers such as cable companies, which pay for the right to offer it to their customers. For ESPN, a second revenue stream comes from advertising on the app.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...?KEYWORDS=espn

And as far as the cost of a broadband connection alone being less than broadband bundled with a cable subscription the price of broadband alone is artificially high. It is similar to back in the day when the AT&T monopoly controlled local and long distance service, with long distance subsidizing local service. I suppose we should have been grateful AT&T was only charging 25 cents rather than a dollar a minute for long distance, but once AT&T was broken up and the cross subsidies disappeared the price of long distance fell off a cliff

Comcast’s deal this week to acquire Time Warner Cable highlights the pickle that cord cutters may soon find themselves in. The acquisition rests on the assumption that as people cut back on their monthly TV plans, the cable lines coming into their homes won’t lose their value. Instead, the more we imbibe of all the glories available on streaming services, the more we’ll need to shell out for high-speed broadband service...

“Comcast and the new, giant Comcast are going to do as much as they can to stop you from unbundling,” said Craig Aaron, president of Free Press, a consumer advocacy group. “In order for you to get content you like, you’re going to be pushed to pay the cable bill, too.”

You can get a hint of such a future in Comcast’s current price structure. Today, its cheapest Internet service — a plan that a cord-cutting household might select — goes for $40 a month for the first year. It offers download speeds of up to 25 Mbps, which means it’s fast enough to stream two or three videos simultaneously — say, a FaceTime video chat in the teenager’s room, an episode of “Scandal” in the living room and “Adult Swim” in the man cave.

Here’s the twist: Comcast’s cheapest TV-and-Internet plan goes for $50 a month for the first year, or just $10 a month more than the cord cutter’s plan. Subscribers to the bundle get the same streaming speed as the Internet-only plan, as well as basic TV service that offers a handful of local channels. Comcast also throws in its service for watching TV shows on your mobile devices. More enticingly, the plan includes access to HBO and its streaming service, HBO Go, which — unlike Netflix and Hulu — isn’t available to cord cutters who lack a cable TV subscription. ...

Americans pay far more for broadband and TV service than people in most other industrialized nations. According to data collected by the New America Foundation, in Los Angeles, the cheapest monthly television, phone and Internet service costs about $80. In Paris, a similar bundle sells for $32, and in Seoul, it goes for $15.

Broadband markets in most other countries generally operate under tighter rules than those in the United States. Nonetheless, the F.C.C. has attributed those high prices to a lack of competition in local broadband markets. Most American households are served by only two high-speed Internet providers, and some have only one or none. Even in markets with two providers — usually a phone company and a cable company — prices tend to rise.

According to a report by the research firm SNL Kagan, Comcast’s price for its basic Internet tier in Philadelphia and Atlanta rose more than 50 percent from 2009 to 2013. In each of these markets, Comcast faced competition from phone companies — but those high-speed providers raised their prices more than 30 percent over the same period.

The steady price increases in broadband rates cast a pall over any cord cutter’s dreams. It’s possible that you might still save money now by cutting off your cable. But if you plan to watch a lot of TV over the Internet, don’t expect to save money forever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/bu...d-cutters.html

And do not expect to the cable/broadband companies to roll over and let streaming services like Netflix and amazon Prime eat their lunch

Netflix-Traffic Feud Leads to Video Slowdown

Netflix Inc. subscribers have seen a lot more spinning wheels lately as they wait for videos to load, thanks to a standoff deep in the Internet.

The online-video service has been at odds with Verizon Communications Inc. and other broadband providers for months over how much Netflix streaming content they will carry without being paid additional fees.....

Last month, a court ruled in favor of Verizon's suit to block the Federal Communications Commission's "net neutrality" rules.

While the business disputes between Verizon and Netflix at the heart of the Internet aren't governed by those rules, which require equal treatment of traffic flowing along the "last mile" to customers, the ruling made clear carriers like Verizon face few limits on the terms they can seek at the negotiating table.

Netflix is already eyeing the coming federal review of Comcast's acquisition of Time Warner Cable as an opportunity to push for new requirements on traffic-swapping deals, people familiar with the matter have said.

Regardless of which side gives in, "it's going to cost people money," said Sandvine's Mr. Bowman. "They're just waiting to see who blinks first."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...LEFTTopStories

Cable and broadband connectivity is a public good in private hands, and how it evolves is a significant issue for American businesses and consumers. By asserting so confidently that its acquisition is lawful, fair and all but a foregone conclusion, Comcast has cocked the gun. Its answer to those who believe it should not acquire such a big footprint is clear: Well, we just did, so let’s start from there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/17/bu...=business&_r=0

In other words, the U.S. telecommunications system screws the customers
NSMaster56 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Quote:

"Bundle".

It's cheaper to get cable + internet (+ phone) than it is to buy any individually.

The 'bundles' often have higher usage caps than the standalones (most ISPs charge incrementally based on data usage, i.e. 6 GB= $60. When 'bundled' the data usage cap is usually 'limitless'---that is, usually, 100 GB).

So if the choice is ~$100-125 for cable + internet [+ phone]

or

~$60+ for internet (increasing incrementally for overages) then another X (~$60+) for cable and then another X (~$30) for phone it's simply more efficient to 'bundle'.
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #20
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Well for starters you cannot watch everything online without a cable package

Want to download HBO Go and watch HBO online - you need a cable or satellite subscription for that
wrong. i may not be able to watch it in real time , and i'm not "technically" watching "HBO" , but i can find any program or movie they air ,online. for free

wanna watch TRUE DETECTIVE ? here it is..every episode
http://www.watchseries-online.eu/?s=...ective&search=

wanna watch GAME OF THRONES ? here it is ..every episode
http://www.watchseries-online.eu/?s=...hrones&search=

wanna watch HARDKNOCKS ? here it is..every episode
http://www.watchseries-online.eu/?s=HARD+KNOCKS&search=

and if i don't want to stream them , i can download them from a torrent site and put them on DVD's....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (02-25-2014), SteelCityMom (02-25-2014)