Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,856 Times in 9,337 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

This got me thinking about the draft.

I get a lot of flack for having a mind-meld with Ozzie Newsome. But, let's look at the last thirteen drafts. Here is who I figured that the Steelers would draft.

2001: Drew Brees (although, I expected Dan Morgan).

2002: Ed Reed

2003: Nnamdi Asomugha (as a safety)

2004: BB!!!

2005: Heath Miller!!!

2006: Nick Mangold

2007: Patrick Willis

2008: Ray Rice (because, Brandon Albert launched up draft boards)

2009: Fili Moala

2010: Maurkice Pouncey!!!

2011: Michael Pouncey

2012: DD!!!

2013: Matt Elam

Here's my scorecard:
4 nailed it!!!
3 Ravens
3 correct position (Asomugha, Willis, Moala)
1 correct school (Ohio State: Holmes & Mangold)
2 not even close
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,024 Times in 4,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
The Chargers aren’t sold on Drew Brees.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-20-2014), Buddha Bus (02-20-2014), Fire Arians (02-20-2014), Men of Steel (02-20-2014), teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
As I've said a million times: Brees, LT in his prime, Gates, and add Fitzgerald... they win two (if not three) in a row.

Rivers, LT, Gates, and David Boston just doesn't have the same ring to it.
SteelersCanada (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,024 Times in 4,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
As I've said a million times: Brees, LT in his prime, Gates, and add Fitzgerald... they win two (if not three) in a row.

Rivers, LT, Gates, and David Boston just doesn't have the same ring to it.
That has to be one of the biggest blunders of the past 20 years in the NFL. The funny thing is that it's not really talked about because Rivers has played adequately, but man, Brees to Fitzergald with LT in the backfield...

It's sort of amazing how badly they misjudged Brees.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
That has to be one of the biggest blunders of the past 20 years in the NFL. The funny thing is that it's not really talked about because Rivers has played adequately, but man, Brees to Fitzergald with LT in the backfield...

It's sort of amazing how badly they misjudged Brees.
Living in San Diego, I bring it up ALL of the time. LOL Chargers fans try to rationalize it, but it is as simple as this:

Brees AND Fitzgerald >>>>>>>>> Rivers alone

Rivers has been alright, but Brees has been phenomenal. And, add one of the greatest (if not "the" greatest) WR of the past decade… and it is not even close.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-20-2014), SteelersCanada (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

It worked out for the Saints but it was a gamble

Brees was damaged goods after he busted up his shoulder

Brees was available because he had injured his shoulder in the final game of the 2005 season. The injury required arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. Later it was learned Brees had also a partially torn his rotator cuff.

Slated for free agency, Brees negotiated a new deal with the Chargers expecting to remain with his original team. But San Diego offered a cautious, five-year, $50 million deal that was heavily loaded with incentives. The contract made clear that San Diego had serious concerns about Brees and his shoulder. When the Chargers declined to improve their offer, Brees did two things:

He got a statement from renown surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery, saying his shoulder was 100 percent and not any more likely to be reinjured than it ever was. The statement was released to the media.

And then Brees went hunting for a new team in free agency.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...ime-it-wa.html

The somewhat less than trustworthy Nick Saban, who will never admit a mistake, claims that:

"We thought Drew Brees was an outstanding player, and that's who we made the first offer to," Saban said, via the South Florida Sun Sentinel. "Quite frankly, you know, he didn't pass the physical with our organization, so we had to go in another direction and there was nothing any of us could do about that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ked-drew-brees

Of course it also worked out for the Steelers - but it was not a sure thing Ben was going to be picked

Imagine what might have occurred in the past decade had the Steelers drafted offensive lineman Shawn Andrews in the first round in 2004 instead of Ben Roethlisberger.

That was their intention, until Dan Rooney stepped in.

Rooney, in his 2007 autobiography, wrote that as the countdown to the 11th pick of the '04 draft continued "our people seemed to have focused on Shawn Andrews, a big offensive tackle from Arkansas as our likely number-one pick.

"But when our turn came, I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2tsYF8AQj

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 02-20-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Dan,
Two things:

1. San Diego gave up on Brees BEFORE that injury. (Rivers was drafted in 2004, prior to the shoulder injury).

2. One of the reasons that Saban left, was because he wanted to gamble on Brees, but the GM wanted the "safer" free agent (Culpepper). That rift (& lack of decision-making) is the "real" reason that many think that Saban was so quick to leave the NFL... and go back to college, where he had complete control over players & personnel.

And, yep: if not for Dan Rooney, Shawn Andrews would have been the eleventh pick that year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-20-2014), Atlanta Dan (02-20-2014), Buddha Bus (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Dan,
Two things:

1. San Diego gave up on Brees BEFORE that injury. (Rivers was drafted in 2094, prior to that injury.)

2. One of the reasons that Saban left, was because he wanted to gamble on Brees, but the GM wanted the "safer" free agent (Culpepper). That rift (& lack of decision-making) is the "real" reason that many think that Saban was so quick to leave the NFL... and go back to college, where he had complete control over players & personnel.
I would not trust Nick Saban (aka Nick Satan to SEC football fans) with a burnt match

If he is peddling the story on background that he wanted Brees since Brees would have been great consider the source

Was Brees still the starter in 2005 at San Diego? I know back then teams still had a first round QB sit to learn the game (e.g. - Carson Palmer) until rookie season's such as Ben's led to throwing the rookie QB into the deep end to see if he can swim

If Brees really was offered a $50 million contract by San Diego that was a lot of $$$$ for a backup
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I would not trust Nick Saban (aka Nick Satan to SEC football fans) with a burnt match

If he is peddling the story on background that he wanted Brees since Brees would have been great consider the source

Was Brees still the starter in 2005 at San Diego? I know back then teams still had a first round QB sit to learn the game (e.g. - Carson Palmer) until rookie season's such as Ben's led to throwing the rookie QB into the deep end to see if he can swim

If Brees really was offered a $50 million contract by San Diego that was a lot of $$$$ for a backup
SABAN
That's what a lot of the ESPN analysts have said.

BREES
Yes, he started in 2005. And, Rivers was going to start in 2006 no matter what. The injury was a "blessing" for the Chargers: it made it easier for the fans to accept getting rid of a fan-favorite.,

$50 million... if I remember correctly, it was loaded with poison pills/impossible incentives... one if which being: playing time. He had to play "x" number of snaps, and since Rivers was going to start, he would only have earned about half of that money... and then, other incentives would have dropped that total even lower.

The local guys on radio said it was a sham of an offer.
Atlanta Dan (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,099 Posts
My Mood: Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
BEWWWLLLSHEEEIT!!!

He's dumb and he can't read defenses! I motherfucking SAID SO! I drive 300 miles to tailgate at Steelers games! TAKE ME SERIOUSLY, ASSHOLES!!!