Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter
 
StainlessStill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,546
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12999
Thanks: 524
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I watched a lot of MAC football back then. I fell in love w/ BB, while watching him play the Thundering Herd in 2002... and followed his junior season with much interest.

I wanted him as a Steeler, starting back in early September 2003... and I jumped (literally) for joy when he was drafted in April.

Craziest part: he didn't end up as a Raven.
My dad was ON THE MONEY with the Big Ben pick. I remember our secondary was atrocious in 2003 and we were in DESPERATE need of any secondary defenders to help us stop a cold, especially at corner. I had my eye on Dunta Robinson. My dad was watching Sportscenter before he went to work one morning and they were showing quick highlights of Ben.

He said to me: "If this Roethlisberger kid is at #11 and the Steelers don't take him? I'M DONE.." Sure enough, Ben fell and the rest is history.

The next year? He says "I like this Heath Miller..Tight End Virginia..."

Uh, rest is history lol.
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the one's who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!" -Jack Lambert
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StainlessStill For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-20-2014), Men of Steel (02-20-2014), NSMaster56 (02-20-2014), teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #22
GMU Steeler
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,993
Member Number: 16173
Thanks: 45
Thanked 839 Times in 452 Posts
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

No one's brought it up yet but the Browns could have had BB too but they went with Winslow instead. Anyhow, that was a magical year. It was my senior year of high school and I had two teachers who were Steelers fan. I still remember one of my classmates trying to tell me that Chris Cooley not BB should win RoY because rookie QBs take their teams to the conference championship so often heh. Hard to believe I'm actually three years older then Ben was when he won his first SB now.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMU Steeler For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #23
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 10,232
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 1,720
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
As I've said a million times: Brees, LT in his prime, Gates, and add Fitzgerald... they win two (if not three) in a row.

Rivers, LT, Gates, and David Boston just doesn't have the same ring to it.
they must be kicking themselves in the ass at the thought they coulda had fitz and brees lol... gates and tomlinson aren't bad either...
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #24
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,835
Gender: Male
Member Number: 703
Thanks: 111
Thanked 605 Times in 332 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Everything the Chargers did around the dumping of Brees was just wrong, getting rid of Schotty for perrenial loser Norv turner, not keeping Brees, etc etc. Like it was stated, they were primed to win for a long time with the talent and coaching they had and could have had. I was so happy Brees won that SB just due to the way they treated that whole deal. I just wich LT could have won a ring, he was truly one of the best and he was a good guy as well.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rotorhead For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-20-2014), Fire Arians (02-20-2014), NSMaster56 (02-20-2014), teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 10,232
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 1,720
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Everything the Chargers did around the dumping of Brees was just wrong, getting rid of Schotty for perrenial loser Norv turner, not keeping Brees, etc etc. Like it was stated, they were primed to win for a long time with the talent and coaching they had and could have had. I was so happy Brees won that SB just due to the way they treated that whole deal. I just wich LT could have won a ring, he was truly one of the best and he was a good guy as well.
LT with brees / fitz / gates would have been a deadlier offense than the cowboys in the 90's. just ridiculous talent there they pissed away.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (02-20-2014), SH-Rock (02-20-2014), teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #26
NSMaster56
Team Owner
 
NSMaster56's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 2,980
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23979
Thanks: 7,297
Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,740 Posts
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelReserve916 View Post
I honestly believe that the careers of Leftwich and Pennington, which were below-average at best, caused enough teams to shy away, which allowed Big Ben to fall all the way to #11.
Leftwich had the 'intangibles'. He was as big or bigger than Ben, with a huge arm and had started for two/three years at Marshall (aka 'leadership').

He had the make-up of a NFL QB.

His major problem was injuries. He was Mr. Glass.

If you look at his season-by-season stats he progressed until injuries derailed a promising career.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (02-20-2014), teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14,114
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 19,310
Thanked 20,494 Times in 8,550 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
they must be kicking themselves in the ass at the thought they coulda had fitz and brees lol... gates and tomlinson aren't bad either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
LT with brees / fitz / gates would have been a deadlier offense than the cowboys in the 90's. just ridiculous talent there they pissed away.
Yep.

LT's 2006 was the best season by a RB ever: 28 rushing TDs, 3 receiving TDs, 2 passing TDs

Gates was easily the best TE during those years, as well.

Finally, add HOFer Brees throwing to HOFer Fitzgerald... and voila! you have the greatest offense in the history of the NFL.

Alas...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #28
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14,114
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 19,310
Thanked 20,494 Times in 8,550 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
My dad was ON THE MONEY with the Big Ben pick. I remember our secondary was atrocious in 2003 and we were in DESPERATE need of any secondary defenders to help us stop a cold, especially at corner. I had my eye on Dunta Robinson. My dad was watching Sportscenter before he went to work one morning and they were showing quick highlights of Ben.

He said to me: "If this Roethlisberger kid is at #11 and the Steelers don't take him? I'M DONE.." Sure enough, Ben fell and the rest is history.

The next year? He says "I like this Heath Miller..Tight End Virginia..."

Uh, rest is history lol.
Wait... am I your dad?

Michael, is that you?
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #29
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 10,232
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 1,720
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Leftwich had the 'intangibles'. He was as big or bigger than Ben, with a huge arm and had started for two/three years at Marshall (aka 'leadership').

He had the make-up of a NFL QB.

His major problem was injuries. He was Mr. Glass.

If you look at his season-by-season stats he progressed until injuries derailed a promising career.
biggest stat in there was he never played 16 games in a season. he like a lot of players who came and went though, could have been great if he was durable enough
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #30
CNEW
Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 624
Member Number: 25021
Thanks: 270
Thanked 818 Times in 401 Posts
Default Re: It was 10 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Leftwich had the 'intangibles'. He was as big or bigger than Ben, with a huge arm and had started for two/three years at Marshall (aka 'leadership').

He had the make-up of a NFL QB.

His major problem was injuries. He was Mr. Glass.

If you look at his season-by-season stats he progressed until injuries derailed a promising career.
He also had an elongated throwing motion.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (02-20-2014), SteelersCanada (02-20-2014)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts