Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,560
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,382
Thanked 10,792 Times in 4,466 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Oh noez! Salaries cap hell!!!!1!!1!

Fire Colbert!
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony hipchest For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,262
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 331
Thanked 655 Times in 364 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Disagree. Salary caps make teams competitive. Can you imagine if the NFL turned into the MLB?
You may not believe it. But MLB actually had as much parity as NFL in last decade.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #23
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,262
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 331
Thanked 655 Times in 364 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Compare for playoff teams, division winners and/or winning seasons over the same period of time.

Teams like the Yankees and Angels dominate while teams like Seattle and Baltimore wallow.
Just like the Colts and Pats?
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #24
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,262
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 331
Thanked 655 Times in 364 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart82 View Post
Owners didn't over spend that year because they knew it would come back to bite them in the ass the next year! Ask the Pirates how they feel about no cap, every time that got talent someone would come in and swoop them up, they were known as the only MLB farm team.
What talent did they actually lose? The main reason the Pirates failed in the past was that their front office made bad moves again, again and again, just like the NFL Browns.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #25
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,934
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Ok, fine, salary cap is fine. I would have a soft cap, where teams can sign their own guys even if it exceeds the salary cap if they own his Bird Rights.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #26
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,154
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 23,927
Thanked 25,336 Times in 10,278 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Ok, fine, salary cap is fine. I would have a soft cap, where teams can sign their own guys even if it exceeds the salary cap if they own his Bird Rights.
That I agree with.

If a free agent goes elsewhere, he counts $10 million versus the cap. If he stays with his original team, he only counts $7.5 million against the cap (even though he's paid $10 million).

It allows the players to still get paid, while simultaneously keeping teams together.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #27
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter
 
bornaSteelersfan's Avatar
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Steelers would be competitive. This is the NFL, it isnt like baseball. Non-guaranteed contracts help out tremendously as well. The NFL didnt have a cap for a year just a few years ago. I cant remember if it was for two years either, but no one over spent. As a matter of fact, a lot of teams spent way less like Tampa and Carolina.
The Redskins overspent and got penalized severely for it.

The salary cap works. It keeps all teams competitive (if the management is any good). The NFL would lose billions if there was no salary cap. There would be far less people rooting for their home teams if they consistently lost more often than won year after year. It would be more like the US government with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Hmmmm....salary cap for US jobs maybe? But I digress...

Competition is good for the sport. Even business competition to sign a good player.
__________________
"We're a road team. We're the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have fans everywhere." Troy Polamalu
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 AM   #28
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter
 
bornaSteelersfan's Avatar
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That I agree with.

If a free agent goes elsewhere, he counts $10 million versus the cap. If he stays with his original team, he only counts $7.5 million against the cap (even though he's paid $10 million).

It allows the players to still get paid, while simultaneously keeping teams together.
I don't like that, it isn't real math. It also penalizes the player because it makes it harder to leave a team that he was drafted for when he really might want to play somewhere else. I do like the compensation picks that are already in place, though.
__________________
"We're a road team. We're the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have fans everywhere." Troy Polamalu
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:26 AM   #29
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,262
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 331
Thanked 655 Times in 364 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
The Redskins overspent and got penalized severely for it.

The salary cap works. It keeps all teams competitive (if the management is any good). The NFL would lose billions if there was no salary cap. There would be far less people rooting for their home teams if they consistently lost more often than won year after year. It would be more like the US government with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Hmmmm....salary cap for US jobs maybe? But I digress...

Competition is good for the sport. Even business competition to sign a good player.
That's the key and works to any system. Without salary cap, big market teams actually could dig themselves in a even bigger hole if they haven't had a good front office. You may be able to buy them all, but you only have limited roster spots. And it could totally block your young players development and it's not as easy as people think to reload the team just because they have money. Just ask the Angels and Phillies.

People may want to believe that salary cap helps to improve parity. But the fact is that it's just for the owners to pocket more money. NBA has a salary cap and MLB blows them away if we talks about parity. Without a salary cap, you then know how much the owner really wants to win.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #30
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,934
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
That's the key and works to any system. Without salary cap, big market teams actually could dig themselves in a even bigger hole if they haven't had a good front office. You may be able to buy them all, but you only have limited roster spots. And it could totally block your young players development and it's not as easy as people think to reload the team just because they have money. Just ask the Angels and Phillies.

People may want to believe that salary cap helps to improve parity. But the fact is that it's just for the owners to pocket more money. NBA has a salary cap and MLB blows them away if we talks about parity. Without a salary cap, you then know how much the owner really wants to win.
That right there is my entire point. The cap doesnt do the fan any service whats so ever. The fan is still paying a car payment to go to the game, and the team you root for has to come to the reality of knowing alot of their star players will be leaving. Owners line up their pockets and fuck faces like Roger Goodell pocket 44 million in a year. 44 freakin million for some asshole who doesnt even play and is riding the coattails of a game people love even though they are getting butt rammed whether by the rules of the game or the cheap, watered down beer at the stadium.

And for those who think big markets win all the time, well, the Knicks havent won dick in 40 years in the NBA. The Celtics were sucking donks until Kevin McHale gave prime KG to his buddy in chowderville for 3 bags of bagels and some cream cheese.

I'm gonna make one big point here before I stop throwhing more numbers.

$2,406,897,430

That number right there is what the Yankess have spent on payroll for the last 13 season. Yes, that is correct. Thats 10 digits X2. And that has netted the Yankess exactly 1 World series in that time span.

How good were the Patriots and the Jets and the Giants in the 90s when the cap hadnt been put in or was just implemented? What about Chicago and Houston in the 90s? These were all big markets and they stunk.

The NFL is not like the NBA. The NBA is reliant on its one or two superstars. If they dont have them, they are toast. In the NFL, you can draft a hall of famer in the 6th round or get a perennial pro bowler as a non drafted free agent.

The irony in all this, now that I think about it, is who did the Steelers really lose out on signing in the last ten years? No one. They signed the right guys and let go of the ones that were that worth the money they commanded at the time. So, maybe I am just bored and writing gibberish...hahahah
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts