Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #21
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Can Steelers count on AB,Wheaton, Moye/Cotchery next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
Dennard in the 1st or bust!!!!
I agree with this, but what about Clinton-Dix?
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #22
lipps83
Head Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
I agree with this, but what about Clinton-Dix?
I would be okay with Clinton-Dix if both Dennard and Gilbert are already gone.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #23
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,311 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think we have enough playmakers on the team in Brown, Bell, Miller and I honestly think many will be pleasantly surprised with Wheaton.

As for the monetary value invested by teams at the WR position, I disagree. Look at the Seahawks and their bunch of no name guys, with a FA in Harvin. 49ers have money invested in Crabtree and Boldin, but largely a group of OK receivers. Same with Broncos, Patriots really have nobody, but Brady seems to get yardage thru the air. I think the knee jerk managed teams invest too heavily in Free Agent WR's to compensate for sometimes poor QB play. Just look at the Dolphins.

A good QB can make average WR's productive. Steelers have Roethlisberger with a Pro Bowler to throw to in Brown. Surround him with some more decent players like Wheaton, Justin Brown, Cotchery, etc......especially in the controlled passing game the Steelers run.

Most important positions on Offense are QB and those who keep the QB upright. Steelers have a good RB and marquee WR. Having another top WR is a luxury, while upgrading CB, Pass Rusher, NT, Safety are more necessities, IMO.
spot on post - I think this nails it - which is why I think we might be able to get a guy like Robinson in the 2nd. Do we really need the 6'5" guy in the red zone regardless of weapons, or hope Wheaton/Moye come up as next weapon and Bell and Johnson emerge as red zone options. This is why I'm looking at a 6'2"/3" guy in the 2nd or 3rd round that has more height an can fight but with more route running abilities

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Most important positions on Offense are QB and those who keep the QB upright.
I'd say Haley might qualify for this. The fast clean releases this year had to have helped at least a little to keep Ben healthy.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steel Peon For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #25
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,010 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
I think we have enough playmakers on the team in Brown, Bell, Miller and I honestly think many will be pleasantly surprised with Wheaton.

so far only brown has shown that he cab consistently produce 20+ yard plays. I believe in wheaton, but I'm not naive enough to think that there isn't a possibility of failure with him.

As for the monetary value invested by teams at the WR position, I disagree. Look at the Seahawks and their bunch of no name guys, with a FA in Harvin. 49ers have money invested in Crabtree and Boldin, but largely a group of OK receivers. Same with Broncos, Patriots really have nobody, but Brady seems to get yardage thru the air. I think the knee jerk managed teams invest too heavily in Free Agent WR's to compensate for sometimes poor QB play. Just look at the Dolphins.

The average pay of the highest paid receiver on a team is higher than the average pay of any other position on offense save for QB.
A good QB can make average WR's productive. Steelers have Roethlisberger with a Pro Bowler to throw to in Brown. Surround him with some more decent players like Wheaton, Justin Brown, Cotchery, etc......especially in the controlled passing game the Steelers run.

Sure he can. But what can elite receivers do for elite QBs? Their offenses produce like the 2013 Broncos and the 2007 Patriots, or the 80's 9ers, or the 90's cowboys, and the... Well you get the point. This isnt a strong enough of an argument that makes me feel we should just accept surrounding Ben with average talent.

Most important positions on Offense are QB and those who keep the QB upright. Steelers have a good RB and marquee WR. Having another top WR is a luxury, while upgrading CB, Pass Rusher, NT, Safety are more necessities, IMO.

Outside of QB, you could probably make a case that any position on offense is just as important as another. No position on this team, save for QB, would be a luxory to upgrade. We aren't stacked anywhere. I don't understand why most steelers fans can settle with an average offense but flip shit when we have an average defense. The two sides are equally important to winning games and ultimately winning it all.
Wooooweeee

Last edited by CNEW; 02-18-2014 at 02:14 PM.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Nix is a luxury we cant afford. Stick with McClendon, like they intended to do when they signed him to a 3 year deal, and draft playmakers around him.
AKA draft Aaron Donald the DT/DE from PITT to play LE since Ziggy Hood was a BUST.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #27
lipps83
Head Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justp94 View Post
AKA draft Aaron Donald the DT/DE from PITT to play LE since Ziggy Hood was a BUST.
I would love that but I think he is projected to go late 1st or early 2nd. He may not be there for us in the 2nd.

No way do I take Nix in the 1st. We do need help on the line, that is given. I think Donald would be a great pick.

If somehow we were able to grab Dennard in the 1st and Donald in the 2nd I would be happy with the draft regardless of the remaining selections.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,452 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
spot on post - I think this nails it - which is why I think we might be able to get a guy like Robinson in the 2nd. Do we really need the 6'5" guy in the red zone regardless of weapons, or hope Wheaton/Moye come up as next weapon and Bell and Johnson emerge as red zone options. This is why I'm looking at a 6'2"/3" guy in the 2nd or 3rd round that has more height an can fight but with more route running abilities
I agree that a player in later rounds might be all that we need. I still wont be surprised if we don't go after that 6'3" WR with good hands, because Justin Brown or Derek Moye might already be those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Wooooweeee
You are confused as to why Steeler fans get upset with an average defense and not an average offense. Just need to watch the playoffs and see what is more important.

Winning QB's that don't put up big stats get labelled "game managers"(Dilfer, Wilson, McMahon) that win because of their defense. QB's that put up huge stats, but don't win Super Bowls and do not have top defenses are labelled "a guy that cant win the big games" (Marino, Fouts, Cunningham, Manning, Moon).

THAT is why Steeler fans value top defense over offense. Fantasy footballers see it the other way mostly.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #29
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,688 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justp94 View Post
Hood wasn't a bust, he was just forced to play in a 6 tech role which he was never really comfortable with or suited to play. Ziggy is a 5 tech defensive tackle in a 4-3. I'll never fully understand why we drafted him in the first place.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #30
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,010 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
I agree that a player in later rounds might be all that we need. I still wont be surprised if we don't go after that 6'3" WR with good hands, because Justin Brown or Derek Moye might already be those guys.

You are confused as to why Steeler fans get upset with an average defense and not an average offense. Just need to watch the playoffs and see what is more important.

Winning QB's that don't put up big stats get labelled "game managers"(Dilfer, Wilson, McMahon) that win because of their defense. QB's that put up huge stats, but don't win Super Bowls and do not have top defenses are labelled "a guy that cant win the big games" (Marino, Fouts, Cunningham, Manning, Moon).

THAT is why Steeler fans value top defense over offense. Fantasy footballers see it the other way mostly.
The 2012 Ravens, the 2010 packers, the 2009 saints, the 2006 colts all won recently with a much better offense than defense. Great teams win super bowls, not just great defenses. I think, if anything, Seattle proved that to be true, if you want to use them as an example. Their offense was very well run that knew the strengths of every player. There is a lot of talent on that team on both sides of the ball.

In 2010, when our best defense in the league sent up against a great offense and failed, our offense couldn't handle the burden of keeping up.

Steelers fans want a better defense than offense because they typically love smashmouth football. I think that's proven by steelers fans on here being content with a top 15 offense but going ape shit over a top 15 defense.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote